Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  SPINoff of Guest Room...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPINoff of Guest Room... Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
We'll be having some long-term company early next year. How do I handle cleaning 'their' area (bedroom/bathroom).

Do I just tell them there are extra sheets whenever they want them or should I offer to come change them every week?

How about the bathroom? I leave cleaning things in there, but should I go ahead and offer to do cleanup?

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
If I was staying somewhere long term I would think that I would do the sheet changing and cleaning.

I would ask them what they prefer -- they may think that they are guests and deserve "maid service" rather than long term company who should pitch in and help.

Martha

Posts: 6204 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Anybody staying "long term" has no right to expect maid service unless they're paying for it!!!! By long term, I'm guessing you mean far more than a week, right? By all means, tell them where the linens and things are. I'd definitely expect them to pitch in and help with whatever needs to be done.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Long term. I would expect them to care for themselves. However, some people are filthy and long term could actually ruin my home. Stink up the carpeting and mattress. Start a mold/mildew issue in the bathroom. Etc.

Use discernment on how much damage they might do because of a different standard.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Long term should definitely clean up after themselves and help with the meals and general cleaning...running vacuum, dusting, etc. They should definitely do their own laundry.

Everything FFG said.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do it like we did our summer place. We had guests staying for up to a month. I told them I would change their beds once a week, which I did. Then told them when they needed clean towels to bring them to me and I would exchange them for clean ones. But I would not be doing any cleaning of the bedroom and bathroom where they were staying. And before they came, I would put cleaning supplies in their bathroom for them to use.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: May,

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guests staying longer than a week should do their own cleaning, sheet changing and laundry and should certainly be helping with grocery shopping, meal preparation and clean-up.

Posts: 2001 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I agree with those who say that long term guests should be taking care of the areas of the house they will be using. One thing I want to add is that it would be a good idea to establish everyone's duties right up front. Let them know what you expect, and that should clear any misconceptions.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you know these people well enough to have them staying in your home for an extended period of time. In that case I would set the expectations at the forefront. The towels are here, the fresh sheets are here, this is how you use the washing machine and dryer, cleaning supplies are here under the sink.

I would not provide maid service to guests even if they were only staying 2 or 3 days, sorry, but I'm not going into your room and making your bed or cleaning your toilet. We live in Florida and we get lots of company, I will however provide the food and do the cooking, I would appreciate help with the clean up however.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
All the people who want to guest stay with us have ways of eating that do not correlate to ours. And they expect me to cater to it.

It usually costs us at least 500 dollars or more for a 3-day stay of 2 people just to feed them.

That is just ridiculous in my mind.

No one eats just regular food. And they equate it with "if you loved me you would."

These days, with The Husband trying to retire, I look at them and think, "if you loved US, you would wouldn't be that demanding."

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Indexlady, can you ask them to bring their food with them, $500.00 for food is crazy. With your husband wanting to retire it's an unreasonable request. I don't like to cause rifts in families, but that is something that should be addressed.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I do have family members, adults, who visit once a year for 3 weeks and another couple, family too, that visit for one week of that same time period. I find it hard to keep the guest bathroom as clean as when the first couple arrives because the first couple are using that bath and I feel as if they may think I am too fussy. I do a quick check of trash, toilet and sink before the second couple arrives. I also check to see if they have laundry or need more towels after the first week. I also use the basket approach for the ladies.

html

Posts: 2526 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IndexLady, time to tell your guest that you are almost ready for retirement and a reduced income. Then tell them you are sorry you can't provide as in the past. If they'd like to bring their own that it's fine with you. Good luck!!

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
As far as family members who eat differently. I have one who, bless her heart, is always on some weird diet. When she is coming I buy regular food the way we all eat. But I will add a couple of her special items. She will then make a grocery run the next day to get items she wants. I think having a few things she likes makes her feel as if we are including her, but I am not going out and having a whole other menu just for her.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think having a few things she likes makes her feel as if we are including her, but I am not going out and having a whole other menu just for her.

I tried that with our guests (friends and family both). Their solution wasn't to go out and buy their own food to "round out" what was served.

It was to go out to dinner where they could get what they wanted, and have us pay for it.

While other aspects of their personalities are wonderful, which is why we became friends, I clearly attract those with bad guesting manners. Big Grin

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Indexlady - They are not friends, but freeloaders. Next time when the waiter comes to the table do not hesitate to use the phrase - "separate checks, please."

I will happily have some special foods for guests, usually plan a meal or two out but I don't think it is my job to break my hamburger budget for their filet mignon taste. The question is, when you visit them do they reciprocate?

For long term guests, friends or family, for some reason I do not want them to do my laundry, dust my furniture or run my vacuum. (DH doesn't ask for help cutting the grass etc while they are here. Wink ) I do expect them to take care of changing their sheets and towels and tidying up their space.

To me it is enough of a strain having people sharing my home, I know, I'm hopeless, but to then have to wonder where things are when they return home.

The cooking and dishes are another matter. Family are always expected to help in he kitchen and for clean up they can carry to the kitchen, help wash or load the dishwasher but I will put away. Same reason - I don't want to have to look for things when they go back home.

I will have the house clean when they arrive and will keep it tidy while they are visiting and then clean when they leave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Separate checks definitely! Just be sure to say "separate checks" as you are ordering so that your "guests" can then order what they are willing to pay for themselves as opposed to ordering with your money. You know - hamburger as opposed to ribeye steaks.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Separate checks definitely! Just be sure to say "separate checks" as you are ordering so that your "guests" can then order what they are willing to pay for themselves as opposed to ordering with your money. You know - hamburger as opposed to ribeye steaks.

You're correct, their special dietary needs probably start to look a lot more like IndexLady's.

From her other posts about some of their long term guests I would have to start telling people, gee, I'm sorry, we're painting, recarpetng, buying a new mattress, blew a hole in the ceiling, or - golly, the dog has been having some problems with diarrhea and seems to have taken a liking to the spare bedroom, etc. here is a list of convenient hotels. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
The question is, when you visit them do they reciprocate?

We stopped visiting "friends" in person at least 20 years ago because we simply couldn't afford it for ourselves, and had no wish to "freeload" on them. I like that term.

We moved 8 to 10 hours away for work back when the bottom fell out of Detroit in the 1980's.

We still can't afford to make trips to visit them. There's only so much time off from work and finances to be had. Even at that, WE haven't had a vacation since 2008. (But what a GRAND vacation it WAS--but it wasn't an area where we had friends--not intentionally, that's just where WE wanted to vacation).

I appreciate all the thoughts on the board when people post about guesting. It helps me be more balanced. Thank you all for your thoughts!!!

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
the dog has been having some problems with diarrhea and seems to have taken a liking to the spare bedroom

ROFL!!!

That honestly just started this week! The poor baby isn't feeling well.

Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
their special dietary needs probably start to look a lot more like IndexLady's.

It IS a pain just to feed me and The Husband!!!

But, I think I resent it because they just want the best this world has to offer. It is NOT built around genuine health "needs."

We do have one friend who has severe health issues, and I'm very glad to accommodate his foods needs. But, for him, it's not about wanting the best of the world. It's quadruple by-pass, cancer and having parts of bowel removed, etc.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
I agree with those who say that long term guests should be taking care of the areas of the house they will be using. One thing I want to add is that it would be a good idea to establish everyone's duties right up front. Let them know what you expect, and that should clear any misconceptions.

We do the same here, no maid service at this house. They already have a cook. Wink

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7529 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
For all we've posted about guests - when DH's "girls" come to visit I hardly lift a finger. I have to stop them from helping.

Fun and Info

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Indexlady, I really hope you can resolve this some how. They are certainly freeloading and I'd doubt they indulge in the same manner when at home and they're footing the bill. I guess I'm just flabbergasted that they'd even do such a thing to you.

I'd do my best to accommodate genuine medical issues, but this stuff?? No way in heck.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post