Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Water ring on Curtains!! Help!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water ring on Curtains!! Help!!! Sign In/Join 
posted
How the heck do you get a water ring out of off white curtains with battenburg lace. My master bedroom curtains have a water ring on them that was caused be a leaky window. The ring is a light tanish color!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As long as they were not acetate, I would try to lay them out on a table with a white towel under and attempt to rewet the stained area and blot it out. But I pretty much try to wash/clean everything myself and have seldom had any issues with doing so.

But if you are really concerned, a dry cleaner might be the best bet.

Posts: 9447 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Check your local phone book. My city (Omaha) has a professional cleaner that specializes in lace. Its named Omaha Lace Laundry.

Your city may have similar. If those curtains can be saved that place can do it.

I don't think dry cleaning can remove a water mark. It will need to be cleaned with water. The last thing to try before you throw them out is washing them in your home washer, cold water, gentle cycle, and line drying them.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in a very small town so there is no place like that around here that would try to clean them. I would have to drive about an hour away to even find a professional cleaner. Have any of you ever heard of product called Wink? A friend of mine told me it might work but I have never heard of it.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
It's spelled "Whink". The company makes several different products for various kinds of stains. They're listed here: http://www.whink.com/products.htm

Are the curtains made of washable fabric or not? I've had water stains on curtains before, and I don't remember that they didn't come out with regular washing. Almost certainly, if you soak them in a Tide and color-safe bleach (Clorox 2, Oxyclean, or the like) for a day or two, the stains would be gone.

Posts: 4363 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES,nettiejay that's the name of it !! Thanks!! They are washable. I can't use Tide makes my DD and me break out in a red rash . Used to be really bad when she was little she could touch something that had been washed in Tide and she would get all itchy!! She's not as bad now but I'm still afraid to use it.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
whink is a very strong product. Used to remove rust stains.

Posts: 12226 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I would just use whatever you normally wash your clothes in. Since the curtains are washable, I don't think you will have any problems getting them clean.
Gentle cycle or hand wash, rinse well and block dry perhaps (especially if you are worried about shrinkage).

Posts: 9447 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOOHOOO!!! After treating them with shout and soaking them I washed them and could still see a faint stain so I used my DS hand cleaner on the stain and let it be for awhile. Washed them again and they look great!!!!

posted Hide Post
That is good.

Posts: 6754 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We all love happy endings!
Thanks for posting back results.Wink