Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  OT-Can't Get to the Boards Using AOL?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT-Can't Get to the Boards Using AOL? Sign In/Join 
posted
I use AOL as my main browser and can't seem to get to the boards anymore using AOL. All my email notifications come to my AOL email address and I can no longer Reply to Post right from the email and have it take me here to the boards either.

Does anyone else use the AOL browser and are you having difficulties coming to the boards as a result? Really, I about want to cry over this.

Thank you.

(And I will have to come back to the boards through Mozilla. Am grateful that it still works.)

Posts: 6085 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Bob Fleming, who posts regularly on the remodeling boards, is having trouble getting in. But I don't know whether he uses AOL or not.

If you don't mind, I'll post the link to this thread over there in case it pertains to his problem as well.

Posts: 4520 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, NettieJay. That would be great. Still can't get here at all using AOL.

Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Have you tried another browser on the same PC? I dropped AOL as my high speed provider years ago because their overlay on top of Road Runner from Time Warner prevented my work VPN from working. I sent Bob a note to see if he was using an AOL browser as well. I haven't heard back from him yet.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6946 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sparky, I can get here using Mozilla from the same computer but not AOL for these past few days. Prior to that, never had a problem coming here using the AOL browser and I've been doing that for years.

posted Hide Post
CCM, I've never used AOL to get to the boards but I have noticed that when using either IE9 or Mozilla Firefox the last several weeks, it now requires that I sign in every time thus negating the "short-cut" I used to use via using the Reply to PM method from my e-mail notifications.

Is HGTV trying to make it more difficult to access the boards or is this just the usual way of "progress" when it comes to the electronic age? Not sure ~ what do you all think? Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ack, IR, I think (hope) something is just broken and they'll fix it. I know what you mean about having to sign in--that happened to me a lot about a month ago.

The thing that really bothers me is that I cannot reply directly through an email or use an email (View this Post) to bring me to the boards. Plus, my saved icon on aol to bring me to the boards doesn't work either. I HAVE to come through Mozilla and then try to find the thread, whatever thread, wherever it is. Such a hassle and so frustrating.

posted Hide Post
Let's see if this works. I went to mozilla and then accessed my aol email from there. The thing is, I really dislike web based email which is why I keep the aol browser. Anyway, let's see if this goes through. I've replied from the email.

*fingers crossed*

posted Hide Post
Ok, that worked. It doesn't fix my aol problem (is anyone else having this problem--anyone else using the aol browser?)but at least it worked from an email using Mozilla and web based email.

I swear, I was worried--not sure how to access my PM's WITHOUT going to them from an email. I always "keep as new" a past PM from my friend so I can get back to the PM section.

posted Hide Post
You can access your PM by going to your own personal zone when you are here and clicking the PM.

Posts: 7041 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
You can access your PM by going to your own personal zone when you are here and clicking the PM.

Metwo is right. To get to your "personal zone" (once you are on the boards), click "Go," scroll down to personal zone (on the left) and then over to "personal messaging" on the right hand side. Hope this helps... Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, still can't get here through aol.