Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Another carpet cleaning issue...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another carpet cleaning issue... Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
...what is the best thing to do if a pet or a child is ill all over carpet. I just recently moved to a house w/carpet in all bedrooms and I want to be prepared for 'accidents'.

A co-worker's DGD threw up red punch right in the middle of her new white living room carpet. They ended up having to cut/replace a huge square; don't think it ever looked right.

'Heloise' used to say, I think, to use kitty litter to soak up a lot of the mess, but I don't know if that would work so well on carpeting.

Thanks for any help ...

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I was unfortunate to have carpeting in every room except bathrooms when we moved to this house in 1976. Kids were 2 and 4 at the time, so I had more experience with sick kids and carpets than I care to think about now. The best method I found was to gently lift up and remove as much of it as I could with an old rubber spatula (uh-huh Yuck ) . Then I poured club soda over the remainder and blotted it up with old terry towels. The club soda somehow neutralized the odor in a way that plain water or water with commercial cleaners never quite did.

These days, there's quite a lot of good press about Nature's Miracle, which is made to remove organic pet stains but should work every bit as well with kids' stains. And if I could go back in time, I'd get myself a portable rug stain machine, like Bissell's Little Green Machine. Even a wet/dry shop vacuum would help loads to remove the last traces of the mess.

As for the red punch stain... Red and usually purple food dyes are considered unremovable stains. The landlord who rented the apartment to my son during his college years even went so far as to add a clause to the lease banning red Kool-Aid use. Smart man. Wink

Posts: 4515 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay These days, there's quite a lot of good press about Nature's Miracle, which is made to remove organic pet stains but should work every bit as well with kids' stains. And if I could go back in time, I'd get myself a portable rug stain machine, like Bissell's Little Green Machine. Even a wet/dry shop vacuum would help loads to remove the last traces of the mess.

I didn't have enough Nature's Miracle to de-stink the dining room stain, so I picked up more while we were at Petco today (the dogs needed de-stinking too!). There is now a whole wall of NM products for any situation. We bought the formula for urine, but there are at least six different kinds now. I will be keeping more options on hand. Very much impressed. I'm following the deep clean instructions, and the odor has all but vanished.

A wet/dry vac or other cleaner is a good idea as well. Keeping a clean "scoop" handy might work better than a spatula. Maybe a clean plastic dustpan? Something that can be rinsed easily but not used for anything else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the worst case scenario when pet or child fall ill and poops all over the carpet. Cleaning the stains and dirt is next to impossible as after lot of cleansing process also dirt never really goes. But, I found sites which have some Best Tips to Clean Pet Stains like: http://www.fetch4pets.com/Best...Clean-Pet-Stains.php

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
ashleyrain
Advertising is against the policies set forth by HGTV for use of this message board. Anyone who pulls up months' old posts and adds a link cannot expect any of the long time users of this forum to click on the link.

Posts: 17053 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The link in ashleyrain's statement is not advertising; it is a list of hints to clean organic stains.

Posts: 1424 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I didn't see this topic when it was fresh.

Ashleyrain may be right. I would clean up an organic stain left by a kid the same way I would clean up an organic stain left by a pet. In my case that would mean going to PetSmart, the clean-up aisle and buy an enzyme based product formulated for cleaning up housebreaking mistakes. That would probably be Nature's Miracle or a similar product.

Posts: 8610 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you do not want to deal with those common problems, then our best recommendation is to get the services of an expert carpet cleaner. Of course, this will require you to shell out some money, but the results will be incredible.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Animals and little children have no respect for the clock so having a 24 hour store nearby that rents carpet cleaning machines is a real help because the quicker these things are dealt with the better. I've had to do it twice in the last three years.

As stated above, get as much "solid" or semi-solid matter up first by scooping and scraping. Then use some old towels to blot up whatever can be blotted. The important thing to think about here is to try to be "uplifting" rather than "rubbing it in." By this time, hopefully someone else has gone to rent the rug doctor and buy the appropriate pre-cleaning spray or treatment. Follow the directions for heavy cleaning and use the hottest water you can put in the machine. Spot clean the problem and go in at least two different directions especially if you have a rug with raised "grains."

BIG HINT: Make extra passes without pulling the trigger to put more solution on the rug - this will vacuum more liquid out of the rug.

Then go back and do the entire room to avoid a "too clean" area. One event required another overall cleaning the next day before returning the machine but the light beige textured wool rug survived. Leaving a fan or two on the area overnight helped it dry.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
To add to Chuck's good advice. I would never be without my Hoover Steam Vac. The first one lasted a couple of decades, we are now on our second.

You just never know when it will be needed, and if it is handy and easy to operate, it pays for itself over rentals in a short time.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanting a quicker, greener method for carpet cleaning then Steam cleaning is a new and exciting trend method. Now-a-days, It is the most common method to clean up the carpets.
upholstery cleaning melbourne

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17053 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the initial pick-up I use a dust pan and a hard plastic squeegie type of thing to scoop the excess up.

Posts: 656 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CJO:
...what is the best thing to do if a pet or a child is ill all over carpet. I just recently moved to a house w/carpet in all bedrooms and I want to be prepared for 'accidents'.

A co-worker's DGD threw up red punch right in the middle of her new white living room carpet. They ended up having to cut/replace a huge square; don't think it ever looked right.

'Heloise' used to say, I think, to use kitty litter to soak up a lot of the mess, but I don't know if that would work so well on carpeting.

Thanks for any help ...

One place that has some carpet cleaner is abatix.com. They have a variety of chemical products for bringing out stains. Here's a link to some of the products: [http://www.abatix.com/products/FACILITY%20MAINTENANCE.aspx0

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nature's miracle is really good for blood stains and some pet stains but I've started using spot shot. Spray it and let it sit awhile and if the stain was new, it might be gone. If not, spray again and scrub.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think only good quality vacuum cleaner is good for carpet cleaning, it is must to use better vacuum for carpet cleaning.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post