Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  I'm Back To "Modern Conveniences"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Back To "Modern Conveniences" Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
I felt guilty for not using my clothesline much in the last couple of yrs so I promised myself I would use it a lot more this year. The other day I decided to hang out my underwear and socks that I just washed. It was early and during the week, hope the neighbors didn't look at my backyard from their windows....Wink
Well, after hanging up 51 pairs of "bloomers" and about 15 pairs of socks on the clothesline, I decided NEVER AGAIN. (why is underwear called a "pair") and is men's underwear considered "bloomers" too?? (I tried to put my DD's little bikini underwear in front, but it couldn't really hide my "bloomers" very well, you see!)
It took me hrs. to hang up all that cr@p and it was blazing hot by the time I was done. My time is worth something too. Only shirts/pants and easy stuff on clothesline for now on. So, I won't be hanging out 40 washclothes and 10 towels either.... Just other 'clothes'!!!!

Posts: 2531 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
LOL, I don't have an outside clothesline but I do hang quite a few of our clothes inside to dry. Our upstairs hallway looks like a laundry on wash day. I dry most everything in the dryer except t-shirts, polo shirts, bathing suits, blouses, some slacks. Everything else - into the dryer.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3603 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have come around toyour way of thinking too. Had DH put up a line in new house and it sags so much that sheets touch the ground and with an 89 y.o.mom to take care of,I go thru the wash clothes and peepee pads. I do have some awesome drying racks- not quite as good as the ones from the 40's but pretty good.but even then beingso close to the ocean nothing dries on somes days . Still try to hang out heavy stuff,but definitely use dryer a lot more these days.

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
As much as some want us to long for the "good ole days" there are really good reasons our moms jumped all over those new fangled inventions. Wink

Don't forget - back in the day - you did not wear something for a couple of hours and toss it into the dirty clothes hamper. What would mom have said if you used 7 towels in a week - she only did laundry on Monday.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3603 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I'm not ready to give up my clotheslines yet. But at 80 it is becoming difficult to lug a basket full of sheets up from the cellar and then out side!

I never have hung up sox and undies though. Cotton knit things go into the dryer.

BTW I hang other things on line too. This morning a winter used tarp got hung up and hosed off, but that isn't good enough and it will have to go into the washer.

Posts: 13003 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The air is so dirty here that I cannot imagine hanging clean items to dry outside. Maybe it's because I live in a dry area so the soil flies around a bit.

I do have dryer poles that I use inside the house for all the delicate and drip-dry type of clothing. I set them up under a skylight so they dry pretty quickly. Sheets and towels, though, go straight into the dryer.

Posts: 2027 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I use folding racks. Load them in the living room, put them on the deck fully loaded. If it starts raining bring the loaded racks in. Otherwise unload as items dry.

With racks the undies go on the middle rows, pants and shirts on the outside. They aren't perfectly hidden, but they aren't too obvious.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
When at all possible, I hang mine on the line. That is why Monday is "wash" day and I don't plan to do much of anything else. Mine get about a 10-15 min. "fluff" in the dryer when they come in....and it cuts our power bill by about $40 a month. So I figure I am earning something by hanging out!

You don't wear something for 2 hours and put it in the laundry at my house either. And you are supposed to be clean when you use towels...wash cloths are a another matter, but I don't change towels every day! If they are hung properly on a towel bar, they dry and don't mildew...even down here in our humidity...with a/c!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5045 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I love to use a clothes line. I have one on our screened porch. It is in use almost every day of the year.....I remove it when we have guests on the porch.

I use the dryer more than I used to, but many things never go into the dryer.

My mother did not have a dryer, and we each used a clean towel every day. We do the same here. It is something that I am used to.

Posts: 3239 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LAdy of Shallot- I think I really need to get my new glasses-read your post and 1st thought was. "good for you,80 years old ,don't think about our ages on the forum,but then that thought was in the back of my mind when i thought I read," I've given up sex and undies!!!!" Yup ,time for new glasses at 59

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17308 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I don't wear clothes for 2 hrs. and throw in wash either. I also don't wash towels after every shower. They're clean and I wash them usually weekly unless dirty-looking. I remember when I was younger using a separate towel for MY HAIR, and taking new towels for each shower. My poor mother back then (she let us do that) Frown
I even tell my DD you do not wash your jeans, or pants after 1 wearing unless DIRTY. You can wear them a couple of times (2,3,5?!) before tossing in laundry!
Sandlance - LOL!!! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2531 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post