Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  OT---MAC or PC (Windows)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT---MAC or PC (Windows)? Sign In/Join 
posted
we are really fed up with our Windows7 and wonder about when these bite the dust if we should switch to a Mac.
I don't want to ask PC GEEKS or computer wizzards--I want to ask everyday people.

SO please--which do you like better and why?

Thank you so much.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I prefer a PC because its what I use at work. Having similar systems at home and at work makes it easier to switch back and forth.

Whatever you get, don't get the brand new major revison. Let that revision age for 6 months, let the manufacturer find and fix the bugs, then buy the minor revison to that major revision. That applies to computers, software, cars, appliances, and everything else I can think of. New doesn't always mean improved.

Posts: 8610 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, marcydaisy, I'm about as close to an "everyday person" when it comes to technology as it gets so doubt that I can help any but wanted to post back and say "thanks" for starting a great thread.

As for the difference between Mac and Windows? I've only had Windows and still using Windows Vista right now even though I have a brand new desktop with Windows 7 installed on it sitting in the closet! NOW, I hear that Windows 8 was just released ~ and it changes everything!

Will be watching this thread ~ thanks again for starting it! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I've always used PC's and now have Windows 7. From what I've seen thus far, I'm not looking forward to the day Windows 8 may be looming. Perhaps if I had an iPad or tablet and was accustomed to that kind of interface, it might not look so intimidating. Right now the thought of it scares the bejeebers out of me!!

I have a friend who won't use anything but a MAC, so go figure.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6590 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
I'm a Mac gal. Started out with Macs in 1990. Used PC in school library when I worked. I have NEVER had a Mac repaired. NEVER had a virus. I use mine mainly for Internet and photo processing. So for the occasional letter I need to write I use Open Source software (free Word clone downloaded from the web). I'll never again own a desktop computer. It does take an adjustment period if you are a long time pc user to switch to a Mac. I personally find a Mac much easier to work with and understand.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm a PC person. I've used a MAC at my step-son's place of business - checking e-mails, etc. while we are visiting. However, the only MAC at his business is his. The rest of the computers in the office are PC.

I'll stick with my PC.

Posts: 17064 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have used both, and find Macs a bit easier/simpler for the non-computer savvy person.

My DH is the computer guru in the family, and he is used to PCs, but if I did not have him around to fix things and add/delete programs, I would probably choose a Mac.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We have only had Macs and will continue to own them. DH is an artist and worked as a graphic artist for our newspaper here. He was trained on a Mac by them starting in 1990. Macs are what arts oriented people use so we got one when he retired.

I use pcs when visiting my DD but their family in buying laptops, buys Macs also.

I am too old to ever have worked with a computer and even when I went to college in the '80's and took computer classes we had no computers in the classroom. The university connection was with a "main frame" by telephone through the main campus.

DH basically trained me. We use the Mac for email, internet, graphics, but not programs like anything to do with graphs or math.

Posts: 12628 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
PC both desktop and laptop.
Windows is what I know.
Keep it simple.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used Windows-based devices because most business software was written for that platform and I had no desire to learn two operating systems. I still prefer the Windows file structure as it seems more logical to me, but Apple OS is gaining ground in business applications. I love my iPad, but I only use it for entertainment, not work. I guess, like most decisions, it depends on what your planned uses are and how much support you need. Check to see if they programs you use regularly are available for PC and/or Mac. That may help you decide.

Posts: 1893 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mac. All I have ever used at school (I teach computer classes) and all I have ever used at home. We are an all Mac family. All the kids use Macs and all have iphones and iPads. They are so much easier to set up and maintain. Very user friendly.

Posts: 667 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We're MAC's. After our computer "died" when it contacted H1N1, our computer educated SIL told us that we needed to get a MAC. We followed his advice, bought a Macbook and now have an IPAD. I'm not sure I could go back to a PC.

Martha

Posts: 5915 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PC means "personal computer". A Mac is a "personal computer". How did it come to be that a Mac is no longer a PC?

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Good points brought up.
The best is probably what programs do you NEED to use or really LIKE now, and are these easily available (and at affordable cost) for your choice of computer system.
Also knowing someone who would be willing and able to help you with a different system, could be a selling point too.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, dumb question here BUT I've already admitted that I'm a non-tech type in the first first post in this thread. SO, what's the difference between PCs and Macs ~ just curious...

I know they all work off different operating systems and I'm only familiar with HP desktops/laptops... what does the Mac system look like? Same as a laptop/desktop? I know, of course, there are all sorts of different electronics as well - Ipads, tablets and what have you but, just for simplicity's sake here, does the Mac look like a PC ~ just has a different operating system within?

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Desktop Macs are usually "all in one" units now. Meaning the flat monitor screen also holds the computer workings? The keyboard is usually very flat and streamlined for touch only. Might take some getting used to if you like the curvy kind like mine.

One main thing that is different is the Mac comes as it is with it's hardware. There is no easy way to add or change anything. A PC tower one can add hard drives, extra memory, CD burner, and so on. A Desktop PC like Dell you can buy customized or add to it later.

Viruses are less of a danger with a Mac. But there are several, good, free anti-virus programs that are downloadable to your PC.

The change differences have been compared to a luxury car. You can buy that Jaguar or BMW, and it is fully equipped. But if you try to add something or customize it, it is going to be REALLY costly (if it can be done). However if you buy a more common domestic auto, you can add lots to it for much less added expense.

Since you are not familiar with them, I think you should visit a Mac/Apple store and try them out, look and compare models? And if you have a friend who has one and uses theirs similar to the way you would use yours...they can be a big help in deciding too.

posted Hide Post
My DH is a former (retired) Systems Analyst/Programmer (LOVED programming) and we've always had HP or something very like it.

But now we both have Windows 7 and are so fed up with all the updates that wreck it and little things that change setting we LIKE and want! AND so many viruses.

One morning, my DH found out his big newer desktop computer no longer would "get on" the wireless internet from the wireless modem we have downstairs that sends a strong signal upstairs! His laptop is fine but his Desk one won't accept it. He's working full time (started one day at Post Office and suddenly is working FUll time (or leave) )---anyway--he is working on finding out what happened but is diguested with all the problems on the Windows 7 system.

THANK YOU ALL for your help--I'll cut/paste and let him read it. AND a shout out to "Martha"--that's my name and not many of us!

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wheatey
posted Hide Post
Started out with a Mac, switched to a Dell but switched back to macs as they are user friendly. Now with a iMac, MacBook, iPad, and iPhone, I can sync up my photos, etc.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are wealthy enough to switch to the price of Mac, then why not, but yet according to my friend Kate Hawkridge, PC is widely recognize so its ability is almost ahead than any other platform.

creator and ipad cases designer

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: Feb 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SPAMMER
Post is one year old

Posts: 7036 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Resident:
So, dumb question here BUT I've already admitted that I'm a non-tech type in the first first post in this thread. SO, what's the difference between PCs and Macs ~ just curious...

I know they all work off different operating systems and I'm only familiar with HP desktops/laptops... what does the Mac system look like? Same as a laptop/desktop? I know, of course, there are all sorts of different electronics as well - Ipads, tablets and what have you but, just for simplicity's sake here, does the Mac look like a PC ~ just has a different operating system within?

Ditto for me too! This is so embarrassing! I haven't any idea what the difference is at all. I'm just reading this thread like a total complete idyut! (My DH is a computer programmer from back in the day when no one even had or used computers!!) My DD takes after him. I'm just happy I know how to type a letter, do e-mail and come onto message boards and the internet. What more could a lady need? (besides reservations out weekly!)

Posts: 2431 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I don't know what a Mac looks like, either. I've never used one. They are rarely used in industry.

The biggest difference is the operating system. It used to be that the different operating systems ment that they did not communicate well with each other. A document written on one could not be read on the other. Thats been fixed.

"PC" was initally called "IBM", then "IBM PC" until IBM stopped making PCs. They use a main computer chip made by Intel and an operating system written by Microsoft. IBM/Intel/Microsoft have released enough information about the operating system that other firms can write software that interacts with a PC. They cannot write software that interacts with Mac unless they buy a licence from Apple.

SCADA - Supervisory Control And Data Aquisition - programs are written for PCs, not Mac. Those programs are how complex machines can be run by one or two people in a control room instead of dozens out in the plant. On a smaller scale at work I use a data logger that will only communicate with a PC. I have worked with a lot of laboratory equipment that only works with a PC.

So if you are planning to build a fully-automated oil refinery in your back yard you really need to stick to PC. If you are writing reports, keeping a budget, using email, and surfing the internet either one can work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8610 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post