Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Not Like My Mother!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not Like My Mother! Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
On the bath towel thread it was mentioned about growing up with holey towels. Thanks to free towels in laundry detergent we had a colorful linen closet!

What's your pet peeve that your mother did that you swore you would never do?

Mine is eating off of chipped/cracked dishes.
Whenever anything gets chipped - it is trashed.

I got really upset about my Corningware lids. I have them in a drawer and just opening and closing the drawer moved the lids on each other and chipped some of the lips. DH stood there in awe as I fussed about chipped lids. He grew up eating off chipped plates too but sees no big deal in it. I was able to replace my chipped lids at a garage sale. Big Grin Now I have padding between each lid.

Something my mother taught me that irritates me to no end when DH does it is to beat a spoon on the edge of a bowl or pot. On a bowl, it chips the bowl. On a pot, it generally does damage to the edge of the spoon handle. When I hear DH pounding away, I fuss. He did not see the problem until I likened it to my using one of his screwdrivers as a chisel and pounding on the end of the handle with a hammer. You could see the AH-HA moment in his brain.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Using miss matched flatware from Goodwill, while a full set of nicer stainless was stored away for special occasions.
This happened as she got older. I grew up with us using a full silver plate set, which will go to my DD. No way I wanted to deal with the occasional polishing and hand washing.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My step-daughter is putting SILVERware in the dishwasher. I told her a dishwasher wasn't good for silver, but she said Mom did.

So be it.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's your pet peeve that your mother did that you swore you would never do?

My mom ran a tight ship. But she did have six kids, four of us born in five years. When we were very little we had to do chores and I remember having to dust the stretchers on the dining room chairs. Plus we were admonished. . . "you think if you don't do that right I won't make you do it. . . get back in there and do it right" I still think that was a little heavy handed for little kids.

So I would not talk to kids like that.

Mismatched flatware and china? Love it! Chipped/cracked; still might love it but may not use it.

Posts: 12929 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My mother did not work outside the home so our house was always very clean and neat. My sister was already married by the time I was in high school. My mother always cleaned on Friday afternoon. When I got home from school I had to help. I would have been happier doing it any other day....I had THINGS to do on Friday!!!

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When company was coming my mom would run around and shove EVERYTHING - bills, papers, stuff into shopping bags and stuff in her closet. Not so bad, but bags never got emptied.

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom went to work when I was in high school. She got home around 4, and would run around like a nut so that dinner would be on the table when my dad walked in the door at 5. He never lifted a finger to help.
I swore then that I'd never act like or be treated like an unpaid servant.
And she was a terrible cook, only had about 8 things that she made all the time. Also swore that I'd cook more of a variety.

Posts: 3008 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
She got home around 4, and would run around like a nut so that dinner would be on the table when my dad walked in the door at 5.

This sounds like my friends mother. They owned a bakery and the Dad's arrival for lunch was uncertain, but her mother had to put his plate on the table promptly when he walked in the door! She used to run back and forth with it.

My friend's marriage is quite different and I can certainly understand why!

Posts: 12929 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a childless couple in our neighborhood back in the 50's that I particularly remember. The wife did not work (outside the home!) so her husband required her to WAX the floors every DAY!!!! I often wonder how that marriage stayed together and whether he met a natural end...if you get my drift!!!!

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking hard about your question, because nothing came to mind right off the bat. I still can't think of any major thing I do radically different from my mom. Isn't that strange? I suppose it's because we were both full-time homemakers. If I'd followed my generation into the job market and tried to keep house, too, I know things would have been different around here.

The only thing I swore I'd never do that she did was to put a cigarette into my mouth. Ugh. Both my parents were heavy smokers. The best way to turn kids off the idea is to put them into a closed up sedan with two heavy smokers and head off from Missouri to Florida on vacation. :uck:

Posts: 4624 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I didn't have the benefit of my mother, I had a step-mother who hoarded any cookies/candies she made & I wasn't allowed to get any unless she put them out.
Swore I would NOT deprive my kids or myself like she did.
And btw, step-brother, her son, was allowed to get whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I'm so not like my mother. I wish I was!!!!

She was a born organizer. And, she was able to settle with living with less so that she didn't have to work.

I loved her "availability" because of not working. And truth be told, that was a major factor in her not desiring to work... she wanted to be available for family and friends. That was more important to her.

I so wish I was more like her!!!

The only thing I didn't want to be like my mother was perhaps a personality trait or two.

But, that was it. When it came to household things, she was just the greatest! She didn't belabor certain things like some folks, and she was into shortcuts if they worked good enough. Wasn't a perfectionist, but was a healthy clean.

She was a fabulous cook, had homemaking skills such as knitting, crochet, embroidery, sewing, etc. She could budget money and knew where to save and splurge, etc.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
I didn't have the benefit of my mother, I had a step-mother who hoarded any cookies/candies she made & I wasn't allowed to get any unless she put them out.
Swore I would NOT deprive my kids or myself like she did.
And btw, step-brother, her son, was allowed to get whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

That is just awful...that's exactly why step-parents get stereotyped like they do...the bad ones give the rest of us a bad name Frown

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This evidently brought up some bad memories. My apologies for that.

I count myself extremely lucky and thank G0d for my mother. My parents were married nearly 50 years before DD died from ALS. She did not remarry.

I saw my uncle's new wife remove all of his children's portraits/photos from the wall and replace with her children's. One of my cousins was still school age and living at home with his DD. A friend of his came to visit, looked around, and commented that no one could tell that that was even his home.

A cousin's second wife doted on her two "tweenage" children while calling my cousin's 5 year old "the little sh-it" when she talked about him. People amaze me. And people who stay married to %$#%^& people like that confound me!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I've noticed too how when a step parent moves in the previous dynamics can change horribly, and it seems mostly when the step is the mother with her own kids. In this regard I've always wondered... why are you marrying a man with children if you're not going to put any effort into making them part of YOUR family. My son has a friend whose parents divorced, father remarried now all of a sudden the young adult kids have to knock on the door to gain entry, not allowed to get something from the fridge or even a glass of water without asking... this was previously THEIR home!!! And of course, the dad doesn't stick up for them, it has made for a very tense relationship with all involved.
Sorry, that was a little OT.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shortly after remarrying, grown stepD came to visit. She knocked! I asked her what was she doing?! She said that it was my house now and she should knock. I told her no - just to open the door and holler "It's me" and come on in.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I miss my mother terribly now. Looking back, I do not raise my DD the way my mother raised us. My mother was over-protective. She never encouraged me to try things, do things, etc. As a result, I didn't try new things, didn't venture far from the curb. Big mistake!!! I want my daughter to try new things, and never be afraid. I don't worry as much as my mother did, back in the day. (And there's much more to worry about now, than when I was growing up!)

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see how I ever would have remarried while my daughter was at home. I would never have let anyone else discipline her, for example. My ex did remarry. His present wife never had any children of her own and apparently she was gung ho to treat my daughter like her own. My ex explained to her that our daughter HAD a mother and that she was NOT that mother. At the time I was somewhat mollified, but it had the effect of making my daughter a visitor in her own father's house. I do think his wife should have been able to "ask" her to help with the dishes, etc.. She should have been expected to do the sorts of things required of her at my house. I suppose my ex was doing what he thought was right, but it didn't have a very good outcome. To this day my daughter will not set foot in his house unless she is invited whereas she just calls me to make sure I'll be in town when she plans to come. I would be devastated if it were otherwise. My ex (who was an attentive father who never missed visitation and always paid support) would be devastated if he were to learn that his daughter considers fathers superfluous. She considers the family unit to be mother and child.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My pet peeve that my mother did that I swore I would never do:

I adored my mother, and miss her terribly since her death, but there was one thing she did that I will never do.

When I was a schoolgirl (One of 7 children) and would ask my mother for some sort of note that needed to be taken to school, she would just grab the nearest piece of paper, scribble the note and tear off that section of the paper and hand it to me. I was always so embarrassed to hand my teacher my note on the rumpled, torn off end of some old sheet of used paper.

So when my children were young I kept a box of decorative notepads especially for writing notes to teachers. I had notepads with fall leaves for notes in the autumn time, and notepads with holidays scenes for Christmas time, and floral notes for spring. Of course my children never knew the difference, but I made sure my notes to their teachers were presentable.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
cocok, you made me laugh! Remember Welcome Back Kotter and the excuse notes signed "Epstein's Mother"? I could never remember to write excuse notes for my daughter, but I drove her to school every morning AND she could duplicate my handwriting with no problems so I just dictated them to her and she wrote them. We made a joke of signing them Epstein's Mother.

posted Hide Post
LOL I wrote my own notes on notebook paper, but my mother signed them.

posted Hide Post
When mother bought something new....from underwear to a tablecloth, she would not use/wear it right away. She was saving it for either company or when she wanted to dress up. I am the opposite of her....new underwear goes on next day and tablecloth is used the same day. I believe I am more "thrifty" around the house than my mother was....I save little used plastic storage bags, aluminum foil, etc. to be used a second time. She would toss them.

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
cocok, you made me laugh! Remember Welcome Back Kotter and the excuse notes signed "Epstein's Mother"?

Now I'm laughing! Yes, I remember.

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Everything. I cannot think of a single thing that I do the way Mom does it. And she complains non-stop about all the things I do wrong. Its one of the many reasons she's no longer allowed in my home.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH! My mother was almost OCD when we were little...house cleaning...kid cleaning...the whole 9 yards. She didn't mind if we got dirty outside, but when we got back in the house, it was bathtime regardless of how many times we'd already bathed that day.

She dusted, swept, mopped daily. I DO NOT DO THAT!!!! LOL

My son played in the middle of my kitchen floor with my old Tupperware pastry sheet, rolling pin, cookie cutters, play doh. When he finished, I learned very quickly that the bitty pieces of that soft doh would stick in the broom bristles. However, if I gave it a couple of hours to dry, it would sweep right up. Well...DM dropped in for a visit. She stopped at the opening to the kitchen and asked me if I was going to sweep that up sometime today. I told her my method and she looked at me, "I never thought of that." That's when I told her that when I learned the term OCD I figured out what was wrong with her. We had a good laugh. Wink

posted Hide Post
My mother did a lot of cleaning on Fridays too! I hated coming home to help out with the work on Friday nights. Among other chores,I had to dust the blinds on all the windows, I will never have blinds in my home. I also made Friday afternoons special when my kids were young.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post