Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  I'm Just About Worn Out!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm Just About Worn Out! Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
In two hours all I tackled were the master bedroom, bath, and closet...that's it! We have 9 foot ceilings with shelving in the bath and closet going to the ceiling. DH looked at me as if I was crazy when I brought the step ladder in and upon answering his question told him that I was putting some quilts away and dusting the closet.(He thinks I'm unreasonable for wanting the closet door kept closed.)

Since spraining my ankle March 5, I've just given everything a lick and a promise. Well...the promise is due.

I still have two big things to do...I need to remove the dresser drawers so that the dresser can be moved from the wall to vacuum under it...and the mattress and foundation need to be moved off the bed so that I can do the same thing. I HATE CARPET! If the floors were hard floors, I could get a dust mop/duster/wet mop under and around everything. And I'd be through in there.

Taking a rest and will get the guest room and bath in another 30 minutes I guess.

Son is going to cook supper tonight. Smile

Remind me to never sprain my ankle again. While DH does not make messes (except for hanging every coat/jacket he owns on dining room chairs and leaving them there-thank goodness the temps are warming up), he also does no housework. None. Nada. Zilch.

We all know what would happen if he sprained his ankle and couldn't do yard work. Yep! I would have double duties.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bedroom #2 and bath #2 fairly clean in only ONE hour! Smile I did not get into the closet. It's just a regular closet and the door stays closed all the time. One day when I have nothing else to do I need to get in it and do some old clothes sorting for donation and some throwing away. I need to get photos of my motorcycle gear and post on a resale site.

I would continue cleaning today except DH is watching television and gets testy if the vacuum cleaner is running or if I'm mopping or dusting in front of the TV. That's what I'm saying. Wink

Posts: 16472 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I knew this picture would come in handy some day.

Take it easy with that ankle Sherry it hasn't been that long since you injured it. It's time your DH started chipping in with the housework. My FIL in was born in 1909 and he told me to make sure my DH always helped out with the housework. He said he and DH's mother always took care of everything for him and he never had to clean house at home but that wasn't any excuse for not helping with house cleaning when he was with me. He said he always helped out with the housework even though his wife, my DH's mom, didn't work. He worked 12 hour days too. Both of you are making that house dirty so there is no way you should be the only one cleaning it.

jpg

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KYIS, you are making me tired just listening to you Smile

Posts: 6725 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the picture! Only problem is if I dreamed that, I'd wake up to find it's not true. Frown But I'm halfway there. (Had to be careful up and down the ladder. Did one thing that caused a quick ouch so was more careful. I have to pay attention to which foot leads going up and down steps.)

DH is 77 years old. I don't want to get into bashing him, but he's not going to change. The ladies at work who have retired husbands are amazed that this one doesn't help. I do certain things that kinda force him into helping a bit. I do not fold his whites - I just plop the laundry basket in front of his area of shelves in the closet. Smile I take his jeans and shirts out of the dryer. Flat fold the jeans and lay them on the bed. Drape the shirts on the footboard. He hangs everything before he goes to bed. So, by default, he does help a bit. (If any of my clothes are on the bed though, he piles them on the chair in the corner. LOL)

He does all the yard work except in the planting beds. I do those to keep the weedeater king outta there. Wink Of course, the yard work is seasonal not year 'round like housework. But...that's the way it is.

At least everything in the house is where it is supposed to be. Big Grin Gotta look on the bright side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

posted Hide Post
I'm in awe of your cleaning frenzy. One of my least favorite tasks is taking the bed apart to clean behind it. I, too, wish I had hardwood floors in the bedrooms. It would make it so much easier. Take care, go slow and do not re-injure your ankle.

Posts: 1725 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KYIS, I love that you are so diligent about keeping your house clean and know your son is now back there as well ~ twice the work even if son does his best to contribute ~ but, you need to give yourself a break....

You are right that your dh is probably not going to change so here's my idea if you would like to consider it. Clean as you feel comfortable and healthy to do so (no more climbing ladders! Big Grin) and then just take a break.

You deserve one.... Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I am so there and understand everything you are going through. I have never been able to understand why the house seems to only belong to me. If I don't care about a dirty/dusty area, no one else does either. Sigh...

The sign of a dull person is a clean house.
I've met Normal people and they're boring.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 416 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile IR, Thanks!

I've forgotten to report. DS has moved out of the house and into the camper. Even when he was in the house, he did his own laundry and helped with kitchen duties.

Another reason for the house cleaning is that the tree pollen - especially pine - has finally stopped. Everything is coated. If you visit, you can sign your name just please don't date it! Wink Even with the house cleaning, I have not removed dresser scarves to be washed and ironed. (Yep I'm old-fashioned-besides what else can I do with scarves I've accumulated from my grandmother, mother, and aunt?) That will wait until a few more weeks.

posted Hide Post
ALL the floors in the house are CLEAN!!! All the dusting is not done...but ALL the floors are CLEAN!!! Smile

My calf and tush muscles got a workout! LOL

posted Hide Post
Can you come do my house? Dust the green pollen off one day and it is back the next. I have not seen a clean house since it started.

Posts: 6725 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Metwo - SURE...Have my room ready. It'll take me two months to get motivated. Smile