Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dishwasher soap Sign In/Join 
posted
First let me say I realize different soaps work differently depending upon a number of factors. But I would still like to know what you use and like (or dislike). I am thinking about changing brands and just wondering.
1. A powder or a gel
2. Premeasured capsule or you pour in the amount
3. Brand you like
4. Do you use a rinse agent in addition to the soap.

Thanks.

Posts: 7023 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I use the "store brand" powder and no rinse agent.

Posts: 3155 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Finish gelpaks or Quantum paks. Rinse aid is in the paks or pods.

love life

Posts: 1513 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If your brand works, don't change!

But you are probably having problems or you would not have asked.

As detergents have changed and become more environmentally friendly they have become less and less effective. IMHO I preferred the Finish tablets in cellophane but they are hard to find here and I don't like shopping in 3 or 4 different stores. The loose powders and gels do not work at all for me.

Now I am using the Cascade gel packs with the two color swirls in the packs...a cleaner and a rinse agent. They do the best. But in order for them to do their best I set my machine on pots and pans and the longest cycle I can use even for just plates, glasses, and flatware.

It is all going to depend on your machine and your water.

Posts: 17040 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I was told by someone who sells dishwashers to use Cascade powder and Lemishine mixed together and I also use lemishine rinse agent.

I had a horrible time no matter what I used before I switched (back, actually) to the Cascade powder and lemishine. But I do think it's the lemishine but I am afraid to try anything else!

Martha

Posts: 5894 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I have a whirlpool quiet partner II. I think that's the name.....I love it!

I use regular cascade powder. It lasts three times as long as a package of those gel pods at half the price. It cleans just as good. I don't use a rinse agent. I use a normal setting unless I happen to have some extra dirty dishes, then I use the pots and pans setting.

Once I tried Publix store brand powder. It did not clean good at all. Don't waste your money on that!

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I use the WalMart house brand powder detergent. For a rinse aid I use white vinegar.

My water supply is a well. I have a water softener, so my tap water is quite high in salt.

Posts: 8607 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your responses.

KYIS, what I was using was becoming hard to find and I did not want to shop in 3 different stores to find it. Just like you said Smile. So last time a bought a small pkg of something else and just wondered what else to try before I settle on a easily found solution.

Posts: 7023 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I use the cheapest powder that comes in a big bin at Costco. I like it is much as any other brand, so I say, why pay more? I don't bother with a rinse aid. I don't have hard water, and I don't see a difference with or without, so I skip it.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of talkingrose
posted Hide Post
I use the Cascade gel packs, also. I used to use the powdered Cascade and a rinse agent, but the powder began to leave a residue on the glassware and soapy gunk was always left in the detergent release compartment. I'd call the serviceman and he recommended the gel packs.

Before the gel packs, I would have to service the dishwasher at least twice a year for this problem. Since I switched in 2012, I have not had to service my dishwasher at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: talkingrose,

Posts: 530 | Registered: Aug 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Check manual before using packs.
My Bosche manual says not to use those in Bosch machine. The covering may not break down and may clog the machine.

Here we use Cascade powder (poured in) and Jet Dry.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
JoW, I think you're onto something about the water softener. I believe MANY people who don't have this are the ones that are suffering with their dishwashers.

If people looked at the build up on their tiles of the bathrooms, the hard water MUST be causing trouble in the dishwahers, too.

MIL loves the Walmart brand, too. But she has the soft water.

Posts: 5167 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I do the same as JoW.....Walmart brand powder & white vinegar as the rinse agent.
We also have well water but no softener, but since I started using white vinegar, the inside of my dishwasher is clean of mineral buildup.

It also works as fabric softener in laundry and keeps the washer clean/clear.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4836 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful using vinegar in the rinse dispenser....it is hard on the seals. My old dishwasher started leaking. Manual for my newer machine says specifically not to use vinegar in the rinse dispenser.

love life

Posts: 1513 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I use Casade Complete gel with Bleach. The bleach is IN the Cascade. Comes with a white cap. It also has a rinse aid IN it.

Am happy with it.

Posts: 4471 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Cascade Gel and a product once every 6 weeks called Affresh for Dishwashers...really cleans out the dishwasher. I also recommend a stainless interior...before we had one, we had rust stains forming inside the door etc. as we have hard mineral water.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post