Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Is it possible to pressure wash house shingles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to pressure wash house shingles? Sign In/Join 
Picture of luvtoflip
posted
I've noticed other roof shingles before that (over time) seem to look like there is some discoloring or dirt and I think it makes the house look bad.

We've lived here almost 11 years and our shingles are "supposed" to last several more years (bought the 3-D kind). However, a few months ago I noticed that our shingles were showing signs of "dirt"? or whatever it is that runs down the roof.

I realize one would need to be very careful while doing this so as not to damage anything.

So I was wondering if anybody else has actually tried to "wash" their roof shingles? If so, do you have any advice on what type of cleaning agent (if any) is needed or just plain water?

Thanks a bunch.

Paula~

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pressure washing can do a lot of damage. Is it algae on your roof? Are there trees overhanging or where does it seem to originate?

Posts: 7226 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
No, pressure washing will damage the roof and shorten its life.

If you have stains like the kind in the picture below, they are caused by an algae that feeds on the limestone component in the shingles. Google for ways to remove it without damaging the roofing material.

Posts: 4641 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't risk it.

How has your weather been? Storms can shorten the life of a roof. I just had my 25-year roof replaced 15 years after it was installed. I've had 3 or 4 big hail storms over the years and that made the roof wear out faster than expected.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As others have mentioned, it is no doubt discoloration due to dampness, shaded areas, and algae/fungal growth. Very common.
Do NOT even think of using a power washer!
Here is another link from a site:

http://www.bobvila.com/article...ins-check-for-algae/

Posts: 9664 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems I recall the installation of zinc strips at the ridge line will not only keep the roof clean, it will clean it off, just not immediately.

You may want to do a search about the zinc (or copper) strips.

Posts: 7226 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Regarding the location of the stain, it is right in the very front of the house...which actually faces west and gets afternoon/evening sun. That's why it is stumping me. Never thought of algae as being the culprit.

The trees in the front yard aren't very tall yet so that shouldn't be the problem.

That being said, we do have a river birch that sits to the right of the house and boy has it gotten BIG! Maybe that's shading that section of roofline just enough to cause the staining??

I will look into the websites mentioned as well as do some research on my own now that I know what it is.

And Nettiejay, that's exactly what it looks like...only not nearly as bad as the photo (yet anyway).

The only strange thing about our summer in KY this year is that we've actually had rain! It's rained more this summer than it has in years!!

Thanks again for the info.

Smile

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Get a pump up sprayer used for outdoor stuff like pesticides or herbicides. I think they are 2 gallon size. Mix up some water with bleach in it. It is mold/algae and the bleach water will kill it.

My brother-in-law did this before selling his house. He did his unattached garage first and it worked so well that he did the house. I do not know the proportions, but you should be able to find it online with some research. You may need to rinse following the treatment.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Sherry, At least one us us has a brain! That's a fantastic idea. I thought about that stain alllll day while working and still can't figure out why it's just in that one section.

I even walked around to the north/northeast side of the house (where there are actually trees) and saw nothing. Go figure.

Hubs and I were so zonked after work that I forgot to discusss this with him...about NOT using the pressure washer. But I will have the discussion. Maybe we can take care of the problem this weekend. All I know is that it's bugging me and I dont want it to become worse.

y'all are the best!

Thanks again~Smile