Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Ugh, I got hair dye on my bathroom walls and trim. Will anything remove it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ugh, I got hair dye on my bathroom walls and trim. Will anything remove it? Sign In/Join 
Picture of luvtoflip
posted
Some time ago I started coloring my own hair. I've always been careful NOT to get this stuff on anything else. But recently I messed up big-time and got it on the wall and trimwork. UGH

I tried to wipe it off as soon as I discovered it, but it will not budge.Frown

Is painting over it my only option at this point?
I tried Mr. Clean magic eraser and that helped a little bit but didn't remove it all.

I have yet to try bleach.

All I now is that the next time I think I will line my entire area with garbage bags!!

It should be called "Nice-n-Messy" instead of "Nice-n-Easy" Frown

Any suggestions?

Paula~Smile

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have used nail polish remover to get it off a plastic surface, but sometimes it can damage and take paint off too, so carefully? Use a Q-tip to test?

also found this:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/...ir-dye-from-wood.htm

Posts: 9616 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No personal experience (I am too lazy to bother dying hair) but the Internet said Toothpaste, mr clean eraser, paste of barkeepers friend and bleach. Others said nothing worked and to paint.

Good luck. Let us know if anything works.

Posts: 7046 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We recently had one bathroom redone. The installers had a HUGE list of approved products and those NOT approved. I've decided ONE bathroom should be kept for hair dying to avoid the Headaches of the dye mistakes. lol The other option.....professionally done. Less expensive when you think of the trouble of clean up.
I remember hollering at a neighbor as a child....." Hey *****, you colored your hair again!" And when I say holler, I have a voice that carried throughout the vale. LOL And hear I am, coloring my hair @ her age. Thanks for allowing me to share a memory of a dear woman who let me live to tell about it. Big Grin

Posts: 5184 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have no solutions...only a couple of stories. But I do wonder if a bleach cleaning solution would work???? You might try daubing on an inconspicuous spot.

#1 My mother had Lady Clairol everywhere! She always wore old clothes and used old stained towels while she was doing the dye job. She started turning gray before she turned 20. Of course she had three children by that time too...that's enough to turn anyone gray! (I take after Daddy. Smile )

#2 I am a notary. Two sisters came into the office and asked if I minded going out to the car as it was hard for their mother to get in and out and walk. No problem. I asked for her photo ID...black hair. Her hair was snow white. We had already visited a bit and I had her "pegged" so I asked askance, "What happened? Did you wake up one morning with white hair?!" She just about fell out of the car laughing. A motorcycle was parked beside the car. In a bit the owner came out, sat astride the bike, cranked and pulled out. She looked around and hollered, "Hey!" I called his name over the top of the car and she HIT ME! "What? I was going to get him to take you on a ride." She replied, "That's why I hit you."

Posts: 17081 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Try rubbing alcohol, (isopropyl alcohol) on a cotton ball to remove it from the paint. Just make sure after using the alcohol that you wash it off with some diluted dish soap and rinse the soap . I've removed semi-permanent hair color from painted walls and tile using that method. I suppose you could try vodka if you don't have any rubbing alcohol in the house. If your trim work is made of wood I don't know what harm the alcohol will do so I can't recommend that.

Posts: 2653 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Check with the beauty supply store. There should be a product
for color remover to use.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9441 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I don't think any one remedy is a sure bet for hair dye stains. That's why I color my hair in my unfinished basement in the laundry slop sink. It's stained, and the concrete floor has some spots, too.
That's why they call it "permanent" hair color, I guess.

Posts: 4522 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister (a teenager) dyed her hair in my bathroom and got hair dye on the side wall. I tried everything to get it off but the dye just seemed to soak into the paint. Had to repaint that wall....luckily the bathroom was white.

love life

Posts: 1517 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
~Laughing~ Must admit that I love all the stories! BTW, I will never buy the "foam" kind every again! It seems to float where ever it wants. I've colored my hair many times and never had this problem before.

Hmm, we do have a laundry tub...but there is no mirror over it. I need a mirror!LOL

Well guess what? Hubs actually did try the alcohol and got a whole lot more off. He said he didn't really linger very long so I'm thinking I'll try it again and give it some time. Maybe just maybe....

Hair coloring can be a little tricky. I used to get highlights but those got expensive plus they no longer disguised the greys. I even went out and bought some highlighter but haven't gone near it.

Right after I bought it, Sis called to tell me that she attempted to highlight her DD's hair...said she looked like the lion king!LOL I couldn't get that out of my head so until I muster up the courage, it will likely remain boxed. Ha!

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Uh-oh... Don't know if you know it, but alcohol dissolves and removes latex paint! If the stain looks better, that might be why... It took off the paint with the dye.

I do actually have a cheapie full-length mirror down there from the time when I had a makeshift area for the sewing machine. The mirror was to check hemlines and fit so I didn't have to run up and down the stairs.

LOL... "Lion King"... Big Grin

Posts: 4522 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by still tryin:
Try rubbing alcohol, (isopropyl alcohol) on a cotton ball to remove it from the paint. Just make sure after using the alcohol that you wash it off with some diluted dish soap and rinse the soap . I've removed semi-permanent hair color from painted walls and tile using that method. I suppose you could try vodka if you don't have any rubbing alcohol in the house. If your trim work is made of wood I don't know what harm the alcohol will do so I can't recommend that.

I would definitely try the vodka. On the rocks and with tonic. While you dab the spot with a q-tip. I figure if you try enough vodka, you're not going to care if the spots are there.

Posts: 6085 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
The same thing happened to me and I was mortified!!! We moved to a new house and I didn't want my DH to see it. The only thing that I found that worked was Magic Eraser!!
Good Luck!

Posts: 2432 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Charcoal! ~giggles~ LOL at the vodka!

Haven't gotten around to trying anything else...been a busy week. Will try the alcohol (and I actually think we do have some vodka). If one or the other doesn't work, it really isn't the worst thing ever. We are going on 11 years in this house and it really could use some repainting anyway.Wink