Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Coffee table mess
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee table mess Sign In/Join 
posted
The coffee table at my house has turned into the catch all of any miscellaneous items from around the house, and it's gotten crazy messy. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good way to organize?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
My suggestion would be to clean it off daily.

Posts: 13082 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Find a storage basket, box, cabinet or drawer to tuck things into? We have a double topped round coffee table in the basement. There is 3 inches below the top, to another surface. Nice place to tuck remotes, newspaper, current magazines and such.

I always found it humorous that people would look for decorating items to display on their coffee table. To me a pretty and useful table is actually clear of such items...so one can place things on it temporarily? But that is just me.

Posts: 9679 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I agree Conrad -- although I do like something pretty on the coffee table but most of it needs to be clear -- to put that plate of appetizers and napkins or that tray of wine glasses!

Also, Jessica, I've found that whatever flat surface that one sees first entering the house is usually the surface that catches all -- in one house it was the dining room table, in this house it is the sideboard in the living room.

You just have to learn to put things away -- either instead of putting them down or at least once a day.

BTW, my DH will NEVER learn!

Martha

Posts: 6350 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've eliminated the coffee table altogether. It served no function since there are end tables, made the room feel too small, the dogs tail knocked off anything decorative, and it was a magnet for clutter which just made one more unwanted job for me to clean daily.

Good luck with yours.

Posts: 7288 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
The center of my coffee table is clear. There's a basket on one end for the remote controls that can easily be grabbed and put away when "little fingers" come to visit. There's also a crystal bowl with blown glass candy that is also put up high at the same time. I have a seasonal quilted something - table runner on the table. Makes a perfect place for setting that tray of snacks and drinks, etc.

The only thing that gets piled is DHs motorcycle gear on the dining table in case he wants to ride again - even if it's next month...I move it to the bedroom as soon as I walk in the house.

In one house though, the end of the bar by the back door caught EVERYTHING!

Once (as a kid) when visiting relatives, Joe asked for his box. His daughter got up and went in the garage and got his box of junk. My mother had a decorative basket under he coffee table and all of Daddy's junk went in it.

Posts: 17381 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing that gets piled is DHs motorcycle gear on the dining table in case he wants to ride again - even if it's next month

What is this with guys? Don't really want to criticize DH cause he is now a jewel (not always though) but he will do a job and then leave all the tools/etc on the floor near the cellar stairs! (I do the same thing but mean to take whatever down on my next trip!?!)

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Yep. DH is really good about not creating a mess for me to clean up. I've often stated that he does not help with housework, but he does not create messes and that's more than I can say about some people.

We've had guests for a meal and could not seat everyone until he cleaned off two chairs and that side of the table. I decided to start carrying it to the bedroom to a chair in the corner of the room. I am not going to put everything in its proper place, but I will do that.

I leave stuff by the door to take out on my next trip out, but when I'm doing any hand sewing in the living room when I am through, everything gets put back in my junky sewing room.

Posts: 17381 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We don't pile things on our coffee table. It has a table runner & 4 crystal pieces on it...a bowl, a vase & 2 candy dishes (one has marbles in it).
In fact, most of our "piling" goes into our bedroom...but there isn't much of that, I get after DH if he starts it, make him clean it up (his mess)!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I have an answer for you Jessica, but I have threatened to place bird spikes on the edge of my bathtub, which apparently my DH thinks is a cloths rack. Some places are just magnets for certain people's clutter. I feel your pain.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cocok,

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
When the kids were still living at home, our entry table was often the catch-all and my personal frustration.

I thought a horizontal alarm pad (on nearly all cleared surfaces) would be a great gadget.
Sit something on that surface that did not belong...WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP etc...till it was removed.Big Grin

Posts: 9679 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh dear, my house would be WHOOPing all day long and part of the night. Smile

Posts: 7288 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I think everybody has a "set down" place -- even if it is with the intention of moving it when they go out of the room or up or down stairs, etc.

I know I do -- I put stuff by the side of the stairs that I want to carry up rather than making a special trip and the end of the counter in the kitchen is for things that go to the basement.

Of course, we would all be healthier and skinnier if we would just carry that stuff up or down instead of setting it down!! LOL!

But I don't!

DH has a fitbit and I don't but I do count the steps that it takes me to pick up and put away all of his "stuff" that he leaves around his tv watching space in the morning -- sometimes it is as much as 200. I tell him that he would get a good headstart on his 10,000 steps if he would put his stuff away!!! LOL!!!

I am going to try to put my stuff up and down instead of putting it down to do later.

Martha

Posts: 6350 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
DH and I both are bad about leaving our "stuff" on the corner of the table on our respective sides. Our table is quite large and its easy to just stack stuff up there. At least it gets gone through regularly when the housekeeper comes. Mine doesn't always get put away, but at least its cleaned up some. I truly think every household has one of these catchall places.

Neither of us leave stuff (other than paperwork) lying around. Can't stand that. Now, don't come into my sewing room looking for the same situation!!!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6824 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These comments make me think of two stories.

First the reason DD wanted to get a bedstead was so that there would be ends to hang clothes from!

Next was about my sister. She went into her house one day and thought a man was lurking around the corner of her d.r from l.r. She could see his feet! Turns out it was her DH's shoes!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
My DIL (who has two young daughters) opted for a coffee table with double drawer storage. You can never have too much storage. Organization and storage will afford clutter free spaces and ease of access. Some use dressers in livIng rooms/family rooms because they maximize storage as well. Even a small table top box can contain smaller items such as keys, coasters, cocktail napkins, spare votives, remotes, etc.

Posts: 18779 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bumping... To get current tread over spammer.

posted Hide Post
KY, mentioning the guy asking for his box brought back fond memories of my father. He had a doubled brown grocery bag filled with the stuff he couldn't exist without which he called his "purse". I can still hear him asking my mother where his purse was. He also called multiple grocery bags Cajun luggage which my mother, the Cajun, had to learn to live with! He was such a character, but that's what you get when you marry someone from New Orleans!

Posts: 3543 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post