Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Can't Toss Until I know what it is..
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't Toss Until I know what it is.. Sign In/Join 
posted
Sewing thingy?

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that a spring at the hinge part? Interesting.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is. I have several things I don't know what they are but afraid to throw them.

Posts: 2318 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have no idea. Go post it on the Quilting/Sewing board.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure it is a sewing thing and that I used to know what it was, but can't think now.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I saw some long ago, but don't remember what it is or what it was used for.
I agree, post it on the quilting board.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will do- the connector part lookslikea small circle of wood

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to me it is some sort of rag rug tool...but will be interesting to find out.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I am thinking it could work really well to insert and pull "inside out" fingers right side out from some dressy gloves. Wink

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
That looks like bone or ivory to me, With that hinge I think it's very old. Try taking it to an antique store to see if anyone knows...it could be worth something!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the quilting board identified it as a glove stretcher, I looked them up. Seems that kid gloves were in style and you were not considered properly dressed without a pair of gloves. But particularly after washing the kid, which was tight to begin with, was almost impossible to put on. So the tool above was inserted into each finger and stretched open first.

Phew.....another thing I am glad we no longer need.

P.S. : Sandlance, so what will you do with it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Since the quilting board identified it as a glove stretcher, I looked them up. Seems that kid gloves were in style and you were not considered properly dressed without a pair of gloves. But particularly after washing the kid, which was tight to begin with, was almost impossible to put on. So the tool above was inserted into each finger and stretched open first.

Phew.....another thing I am glad we no longer need.

P.S. : Sandlance, so what will you do with it?

Thanks for adding the answer to this thread. I never, ever would have figured it out.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great, now that I know what it is- for some reason,it makes it harder to part with!! BTW it is madeof wood and it makes sense because I did donate a LOT of gloves to the Church thrift store. P.S. You can see why I posted one time my mother thought my vacuuming was a snowplow going by. Oh well- other priorities

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Those would be neat to frame in a shadow box with a pair of vintage gloves. Wink

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nancyc20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those would be neat to frame in a shadow box with a pair of vintage gloves

That would be charming! I once saw a display of button hooks (for buttoning up shoes) like that and it was so interesting!!!

"It's bad to supress laughter. It goes back down and spreads to your hips."

Posts: 9036 | Location: California | Registered: Sep 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Well, at least it had "something" to do with gloves? Wink

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post