Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning fake fur coat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning fake fur coat Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
Is there any EASY way? I looked for info on how to do this and one site said make a weak solution of detergent in water and moisten a cloth in it and gently wipe down the exterior of the coat. Another said to let the coat soak for 15 minutes in cold water with mild detergent in a top-load washing machine, drain and rinse without agitating and repeat if necessary. Both said it might work for short furs, but long haired tend to get matted. Neither mentioned dry cleaning which would be the easiest but probably the most expensive for me for something I probably couldn't even get $20 at a garage sale. Here's the coat - any suggestions?

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It is fake fur. Synthetic.
I would feel Extremely lucky to get 5 dollars for it at a garage sale. I'd donate it as is, and let someone else deal with it.

Posts: 9461 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Weakest Link- if this is from your aunt's home, I admire you for trying to do the right thing, but you really need to make 3 piles- trash, donate, keep. Sort everything into the proper pile and send them on their way.

It isn't neccessary to attend to each item, although it certainly is admirable of you to do so. If that coat doesn't have an odor to it from the home, the thrift store will price it and put it out for sale. The new owner will then do what they need to in order to clean it.

Posts: 3206 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Oh, if it is fake fur you may be able to take it to the laundromat and wash it on gently in one of the big washers.

However, I do agree with Becky56. I tried time and time again to help my brother immediately following our mother's death last year. He kept putting me off. I recently found out that he is going through each item piece by piece...which is not what our mother wanted. (Since I'm not having to deal with him dealing with it, I'm fine with it. Whatever he wants to do.)

One of my mother's friends washed and or dry-cleaned all of her deceased sister's clothing that had been in storage for 3 or so years. Then sold them in a garage sale. She did not realize very much money from the ordeal...would have been better off donating to charity. During the winter many cities have dry cleaning establishments that will take coats, clean them, then donate to a coat drive.

Posts: 16602 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weakestlink, it is fun piece that might generate some interest in an auction or yard sale. Don't spend any money trying to "clean it up." Let it be what it is and move on closing these estates.

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
I took it to a local boutique and the proprietor would not accept it because of the staining around the neck. This is the only place it looks soiled, though, and can be seen in the right lighting conditions. I've had it out at my garage sale and even though a few people looked at it, there haven't been any takers when I tell them it's $25.

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donate it to a shelter. Y'all have cold winters up there! Someone could make good use of it.

Posts: 16602 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone else. Donate the Fake Fur coat. Do you like it, would you buy it if you saw it at a garage sale? I saved one of my mother's pretty fake fur coats for myself. It was a very pretty dark-colored pattern. It looked better on her. Every thing I tried to salvage, looked horrible on me, but looked great on my dear mother. She had style. I never buy clothes at garage sales. Donate! Smile

Posts: 2291 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
One of my mother's friends washed and or dry-cleaned all of her deceased sister's clothing that had been in storage for 3 or so years. Then sold them in a garage sale. She did not realize very much money from the ordeal...would have been better off donating to charity.

Isn't it expensive to DRY CLEAN clothing? I can't imagine she made much money at all! I donated 12 garbage bags of my mother's clothing. I had a whole apt. to deal with, furniture, etc. Who has time to wash stuff for the $2 people will pay you!????

Posts: 2291 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I think most of us would agree. Donate this stuff and clear it from your life. Perhaps it can in some way benefit someone else today...rather than weigh you down with it's continued presence.

Clearing these estates (many here have followed your progression) have no doubt taken a toll on your time, patience, money as well as possible health? The past owners of these items are gone...let their possessions pass through your hands freely to other people, without so much concern of profit or loss.

Posts: 9461 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Isn't it expensive to DRY CLEAN clothing? ... Who has time to wash stuff for the $2 people will pay you!????

YES! I do not know if it was the sentimentality of it or what. She was still pulling clothes out of the dryer for the sale.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

YES! I do not know if it was the sentimentality of it or what. She was still pulling clothes out of the dryer for the sale.

ROTFLMDAO!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
People want Bargains, they want things for practically nothing! If you factor in how much she spent on detergent and water (we get monthly water bills), was it worth it? I honestly don't think women go to garage sales to buy other people's clothes. Who wants someone's Outdated clothes? I have enuf of my own!!! Smile

posted Hide Post
Totally off-topic...but yes. I know a lady who volunteers at the local clothing bank. Just about everyone else hangs EVERYTHING. She goes through and throws away outdated clothing. It would be different if the racks were not loaded to capacity. Even poor folks want to look good.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I honestly don't think women go to garage sales to buy other people's clothes. Who wants someone's Outdated clothes? I have enuf of my own!!!

I have a friend who buys lots of clothes at yard sales. People do want clothes esp childrens.

Obviously for whatever reason Weakest link does want to deal with the things she is dealing with. My advice would be to wash the coat in her own machine/drier and let the chips fall where they may. It will at least smell good!

Posts: 12247 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post