Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  VHS Tape Cartridges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

VHS Tape Cartridges Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
What should I do with hundreds of VCR tape cartridges. All have recorded material on the from art instruction to theatrical movies. Nobody seems to want this style of media anymore. Seems a shame to trash them - they probably cost about $10 when originally purchased.

Posts: 594 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donate them. I see people browsing through the stacks at the local Salvation Army

Posts: 487 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you know that hand held calculator used to cost over $100? Their worth now is $0, as there are smaller more powerful one for about $10. Same with VCR tapes. Some things just become outdated and lose their value.

Posts: 6978 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree to donate them if you can find a place near you that accepts them ~ there are some people who do enjoy brousing through them and discovering long forgotten episodes of TV shows and what have you....

Otherwise, recycle them at your closest recycling centers that accepts them!

And, btw, dh and I bought one of the first ever VCR "machines" in 1978 for $1200 and we were THRILLED to get a blank VHS tape as a gift from my grandmother to tape some shows ~ cost? $24,95 !!! Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We still watch these and have a library of old movies. They don't seem to move though at our town swap shop where they are FREE.

Especially those that people have recorded from t.v. in their own homes.

Posts: 12519 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
many of them have probably degraded as well. we had hundred of VHS, but recently when I wanted to watch some and transfer them to DVD they had so much degrading that it just wasnt worth the effort.

Early this spring I tossed over 200 VHS tapes, they were ancient and just didn't hold up.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1552 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SheriV
posted Hide Post
I tossed most of mine too. You can't even buy a VHS player now. Sometimes you can get a combo DVD and VHS player-we have had two but the VHS side always goes out fast, while the DVD part is fine.

Posts: 520 | Registered: Jun 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others. DH had many old tapes, mostly home recorded of television programs that we took to the recycling center. We have friends who have not moved up to DVD's yet.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3469 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Try to donate first, but most places around here will not take them. You may have to trash them.

Posts: 16961 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
My sister & I both still have & use the VCR & VHS tapes. I find it easier to operate than the DVD machine. I often set it to record sewing shows that come on early Saturday mornings. I think a lot of the older generation still use them where the younger generation prefers the latest new & improved replacement. My son is 28 & I remember him asking us to buy a "wee C R" so he could watch cartoons all the time like he could at his cousins house. Technology keeps changing. My sister also paid 1200 for their first one & I think it was BETA.

Posts: 5271 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Beta VCR in 1977 for $1200, eventually switched over to VHS. I have thrown out many of my old tapes but I still like to tape the tv shows on MEtv and Antenna tv. Many of the episodes are not available on dvd. I buy tapes for 10 cents at estate sales. I pick tapes used for long movies that the owners put a label on, hoping the tape have only been used once. When the vcr goes I will get a DVR etc. Meanwhile I use what I have!

Posts: 34 | Registered: Sep 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post