Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  My New HE Whirlpool Washer
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My New HE Whirlpool Washer Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
M-ma
Folded napkin...that was me.
I take them off the table after dinner and dump them in the washing machine. If the person who used it folded it, I do not unfold. Sorry...did ...now I unfold all napkins, wash half loads, use detergent boosters, pretreat every little dinky spot because the detergent alone will NOT take it out of the fabric. If it folds in half or a corner folds down on its own after being placed in the washer, should I stop the cycle in the middle and unfold it?

That was just one example. If it were merely unfolding a soiled napkin, I would do it and brag on my machine. I DID do my research on the machines I have before they were purchased. Unfortunately I bought into the 'these are the best thing since sliced bread' logic. After having one and not being able to use it as advertised - all the reasons previously stated in above posts so will not reiterate.

And to insinuate that I intentionally fold items to put them in the washer - you have gone from the sublime to the ridiculous. You have a great washer and you are pleased with it. I would replace mine in a New York second.

Everyone has an opinion on whether we like or dislike front loading/energy efficient washing machines, and we are all welcome to voice our opinions. You got a good one...GREAT FOR YOU! However no one has the right to ridicule another person on this forum.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16989 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other day I pulled 2 "clean" (washed in my HE washer) wash cloths out to use and they both smelled like my bath soap. I hate my washer!!!

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
KeepYouInStitches and mountainbeach, I am with you. If anyone is pleased with their washers, then that is wonderful. But some of us may actually need something that will get extremely dirty work clothes clean or slightly dirty clean for that matter. And as for unfolding a napkin, in my old machine I never had to unfold anything. When anything came out unfolded I could tell the clothes were actually washed. I would like to "love" my machine, but I don't.

Posts: 304 | Registered: Jun 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I also think it is helpful for people to share their types of washers, brands and models.
Good or bad, personal experience is beneficial information for others.

Posts: 9604 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Hmmm...just wondering if a commercial machine would be better than what the manufacturers are pawning off on us?

Wouldn't commercial machines would give you no options as to wash time, fewer cycles, etc. ... like in a self-service laundry? You get what you get and can't change anything. Maybe you'd even have to put a pocketful of quarters into a slot to make it 'go'. Wink

Posts: 4491 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
If you notice, M-ma, I said I have a top loader. It isn't a matter of front vs. top. It's about not having enough gallons of water in any kind of machine to extract the dirt from the clothes and rinse it away.

Posts: 4491 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:
Wouldn't commercial machines would give you no options as to wash time, fewer cycles, etc. ... like in a self-service laundry? You get what you get and can't change anything. Maybe you'd even have to put a pocketful of quarters into a slot to make it 'go'. Wink

I would just about go back to - gag me - hand washing delicates if I had a washer that would get everything else clean. And perhaps the quarter idea would be pretty good...I would have money when I thought I was broke. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16989 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My husband knows a man who used to repair washers. He has a few old models sitting around in his shop. When my husband has time he is going by to see if those washers still work and can he buy one. Yes, I am desperate. And by the way, I bought a GE Adora top load about 1 1/2 years ago.

Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
If you were to buy a commercial washer, as the owner you would have a key to the money box and an over ride, you wouldn't have to use coins.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a front load washer which I love....2nd one I have had. That said, when we lived on the farm we had a top loader washer. When the wash cycle stopped, the machine pumped the water out...leaving the dirty water on the clothes. Then it would spin the dirty water out...still with the dirt on the clothes. Then it would fill with rinse water....do it's thing and then spin the water out. Done. I never felt the clothes were really clean unless I rinsed them a second time....That meant more water, more time.

love life

Posts: 1502 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On Saturday my husband pulled my washer out. He unscrewed the water lines where they went into the washer. He found some type of filter/water restricter in the end part of the water line. He used needle nose pilers to pull it out. We washed a load of clothes and I couldn't believe the difference. We watched as the water went in the machine and there was a noticeable difference in how much water was in there. Wink

posted Hide Post
Yes, we have cleaned out the "screens" in the ends of the hoses...surprising the difference.

love life

Posts: 1502 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I used the front load HE washer at my sister's house and I know I will be keeping my older washer as long as possible. My clothes never looked worse! Things that I never have to touch with an iron at home looked just awful. My sis said the same thing, so it's not just me. Also, the cycle took an hour and a half! I would have washed, dried those clothes and been wearing them out of the house in that amount of time.

As to the water issue, I swear about a cup of water went into the machine, tossed the clothes around, then another cup, repeat, repeat...

What do you do about things that need to be really washed in plenty of water, for example, when a child has been sick? I would normally wash a load like that twice, how many times would I have to do it with a front load HE washer?

Posts: 3602 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have encouraged people to keep your old machines and get them repaired if possible. I got a new one and HATE it. Not enough water to really clean anything.

posted Hide Post
I bought a top load HE washer almost two years ago and really did not like it. No HOT water, not enough water and the noises made me crazy. Two weeks later my dryer went. I was going to get the matching dryer but why would I get the dryer if I couldn't stand the washer. I investigated and ultimately sent this one back and got a Speed Queen. Love it and so does my daughter. Sometimes she'll come over to wash her clothes in mine. It holds quite a bit of laundry and I'm done in no time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jsoko,

Posts: 401 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Nov 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I researched Speed Queen and it seems it doesn't put much water in the machine either. Have you found it to have sufficient water?

posted Hide Post
I have whatever level of water I want on my model which is one of the things I love. I can wash from a minnie load to an extra large load. It is a year and a half old so maybe on the newer models they are different. The best thing is to go into your appliance store and see it for yourself. At the time I purchased mine, you could not purchase at a big box store only at a smaller appliance store.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jsoko,

Posts: 401 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Nov 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked inside once it has filled to see how much water is in there? Can you post the model number? I might want to look in to it if it does put a lot of water in there.

posted Hide Post
AWN432, I can run water in and look inside to see how high because a lot of times I add the detergent and wait till it agitates or at least fills a little. The load size goes from "Mini to Extra Large and also has reset so if I don't think there is enough water or I add more clothes I can reset water level to higher level. It runs just like a old school washer. I know with the new HE washers they use A Lot less water but I can select how much water I want and I can select whether I want a second rinse or not.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I was going to start a new topic until I read down to this one. I hate my Whirlpool HE washer, too.

We bought a Whirlpool HE washer about 2 years ago & we hate it. I use less than the recommended amt. of detergent & still get detergent streaks on the clothes. We were told to use the 2nd rinse for all loads (how efficient is that?) The bleach dispenser is defective, but they never did anything about that even while it was still under warranty because we couldn't prove it. So I can't use bleach. I use oxy in every load to help get things clean. We don't dare get a spot (food) on anything because even with pre-spray, most spots won't come out without a 2nd or 3rd wash. I'm going back to a washer with a real agitator. This one is a top loader & as soon as the water starts in, the lid locks. If I want to check the water level, I have to stop the cycle to unlock the lid. then I have to start all over. Bleah

We got this one at Sears...sure don't trust them anymore...many of our appliances come from Sears...but we don't buy the Kenmores.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7807 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that my husband "fixed" my machine by taking the filters out of the water lines, I get a little bit more water. I have also resorted to using the fabric softener button only because it puts water into the machine for the rinse instead of just spraying water on the clothes as it spins. So now, I figure that I am using more water and more electricity to save water and electricity. If we had more women in c o n g r e s s, then this might not be happening. Women would understand you need water to actually wash clothes.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Anybody here know the Cottonelle commercials that make it sound ridiculous to try to shampoo hair, wash a car, or take a shower without water?
I think about this thread when one of them comes on TV.

Mgt, I have a friend whose newer Whirlpool machine has a lid that locks. I thought that surely must be a setting that could be overridden if she only knew how to do it. I can't think of one earthly reason why a washer lid needs to lock! Did they get sued for a pet falling in one of their machines? Roll Eyes
These ridiculous "features" are the brainchildren of the engineers who M-Ma believes know what they're doing.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I know, Nettie...why would the lid need to lock. I still haven't found how to override that mechanism. Yeah, these engineers sure don't work with these machines they design. I'm in total agreement with you. Some of the 'features' are the ones you look at and say 'really???' in absolute confusion. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7807 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post