Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Surveys on the home page...do you take them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surveys on the home page...do you take them? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
The question I see know is how often do you deep clean your home...I was going to vote "one/year", but the LEast they had was "several times per year"!!!!!!!!

When I was young, I did it twice a year...who in the heck has time or desire for several time/year???!!!

Maybe HGTV has a dif definition of 'deep cleaning"??????????

Posts: 2870 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I never go to the home page. My bookmark takes me directly to the quilting forum and then I come over here.

As for deep cleaning??? Isn't that what housekeepers are for? Mine is here right now.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6659 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have each of my favorite forums bookmarked, too. But I went to the home page to see what you're asking about.
Whew! Wonder what their definition of "deep" is myself!

I consider "deep" cleaning to be extensive and completely thorough. I don't deep clean my entire house all at once... ever. It's not humanly possible, time or energy-wise. I deep clean one thing at at a time. For example, I might do one large window a day... A double, 6 x 6 foot window with triple track storms, the curtains and draperies. That takes me fully 1/2 a day... As much hard work as I do at one time any more. I clean some windows - the ones I regularly look out of - twice a year. The others might not get done more than once every 2-3 years.
On another day, I might steam clean carpets - what I consider "deep" cleaning. But that's all the heavy work I'll do on that one day.

It's unfathomable that HGTV could consider this level of "deep cleaning" could be done by a human being more than twice a year. Surely, they must be thinking of the kind of vacuuming/bathroom cleaning/dusting that I consider routine cleaning, but that a slobby sort might consider "deep".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4556 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I just looked at that poll and agree that it is kind of silly. In the first place I would think that the size of many, many of the houses featured on HGTV, would be almost impossible for only one person to keep clean.

I am more a window, shelf, cabinet, etc. type of cleaner. Even those of us who think we are minimalists have much more to clean (think electronics alone) than our predecessors. More kitchen appliances.

To me deep cleaning would mean all windows washed inside and out, all curtains, draperies taken down and laundered or dry cleaned. All walls washed down from ceiling to floor, all rugs/carpets cleaned. Baseboards, doors etc washed. All pictures dusted and glass windexed.
Every shelf and accessory washed or dusted. All lamp parts cleaned. Beds taken apart and blankets and coverlets cleaned/washed. Attics, cellars, garages organized and swept.

Whew! That would be quite an ordeal 2X or more a year.

Posts: 12751 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gardenqueen
posted Hide Post
I never go to the homepage either.

Posts: 99 | Location: United States | Registered: Mar 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:

To me deep cleaning would mean all windows washed inside and out, all curtains, draperies taken down and laundered or dry cleaned. All walls washed down from ceiling to floor, all rugs/carpets cleaned. Baseboards, doors etc washed. All pictures dusted and glass windexed.
Every shelf and accessory washed or dusted. All lamp parts cleaned. Beds taken apart and blankets and coverlets cleaned/washed. Attics, cellars, garages organized and swept.

Whew! That would be quite an ordeal 2X or more a year.

Ditto! "Deep".
Idiotic pollsters.

Posts: 4556 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I never go to the home page either.

When I do a "spring" cleaning, ONCE a year, I do one room at a time! I'll do the 2 bathrooms the same day and the kitchen/utility room the same day since they are connected...but it takes me a week to do my total "deep" cleaning. And since it is just DH & myself, some years get skipped as it really isn't needed since our house is so tight and we seldom have windows/doors open due to the humidity down here.
And my deep cleaning means moving EVERY piece of furniture...THAT is a job!

ETA...I don't have a cellar/basement nor a garage, only a car port...and I keep my attic pretty well organized since most of it is floored...no need to re-organize it at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4914 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm another who rarely goes ** the home page so I had ** look. Other than the silly survey did you notice they had two things listed under Fan Favorites? One was the Dream house and the other said HGTV Gardens. Gardens?? They have not have a garden show in a long time. If it's is a fan favorite why don't they? Maybe who every designs the page does not watch hGTv.

Added. Their computer changes the word "**" ** **. I did not know ** was a word not allowedSmile.
The word is T as in what you drink hot or cold and O the shape of your mouth when you are surprised. Weird!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 7094 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I've never even seen the home page.

too

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1572 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the only way I can access the message boards is through the home page. My old computer can not support java whatever. I have to access it from "eve forums"

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
No home page either as the board foums are bookmarked. No deep cleaning here as it's a shelf or two at a time. Sometimes, it's just take a few things off the table (mail, coupons, etc) and deal with them right now.

We never open windows and usually the AC is running year round.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9456 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm bookmarked to home page as sometimes I enjoy the content. Surveys- occasionally and only to see if I am in the range of the majority. Sometimes the surveys are so outrageous that I wonder if HGTV knows this membership.

Posts: 3135 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of talkingrose
posted Hide Post
I love the concept of deep cleaning, especially the kind that YOU guys seem to do!

Alas! I haven't done all that is required, I'm afraid. We are candidates for new windows, as the ones we currently have are HEAVY. Too heavy for us to remove more than every three years.

We have to take it down and that requires two or three men. Then we clean the inner window and put that heavy monstrosity back.

When much younger, we did it every summer. Those days are over.

I try to keep up with the bigger jobs seasonally. For example, the windows that can be removed are cleaned in the summer....the drapes are taken down and cleaned in the spring or summer...we have thoroughly clean the travertine bathroom tiles and floors with a steamer, but that's when I think it needs it.

All in all, I think I go on a deep cleaning mission if I am having a large party. I seem to clean under and over and throughout and some of it may be due to nervousness.

Has anyone done the Fly Lady program? I have tried, but her regimen just wears me out.

Posts: 534 | Registered: Aug 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone done the Fly Lady program?

I have a friend who does this. But such a regimen would never work for me. I don't believe in turning my life over to the direction of someone else.