Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Weird Products from back in the day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird Products from back in the day Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
I grew up in the 50's and 60's and as I've mentioned before, my mother was one of those "modern" women who had to try all the newest, latest and greatest things to be sold.

I recall 2 in 1 products were very popular. One of the oddest things I recall, and this is prior to the creation of any consumer protection or product safety agencies, is a floor wax that also had a bug killer in it.

LOL! Can you imagine?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good heavens! To this day I have to prove to my daughter that I'm not putting No Bugs M'Lady shelf paper in the kitchen!

Posts: 3550 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
sms -- I had forgotten about the "no bugs" shelf paper! Never heard of the floor wax!

Martha

Posts: 6355 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I used them both! Big Grin

And by special order you can still get stuff to go into exterior paint to keep spiders & other small bugs away from painted houses. We used to use that all the time in Fl.!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:

And by special order you can still get stuff to go into exterior paint to keep spiders & other small bugs away from painted houses. We used to use that all the time in Fl.!

Thanks Karen, I was starting to think I imagined it - I couldn't recall the brand but I remember the commercials so I was sure it was a main stream product.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:

Thanks Karen, I was starting to think I imagined it - I couldn't recall the brand but I remember the commercials so I was sure it was a main stream product.

No, you didn't imagine it. I think I used it when I lived in Ca....lots of little critters running around in the LA heat. I don't remember the name either, but I do remember using KLEAR liquid floor cleaner/wax-polish...it was a 2in1 thing too. Some guys used it on their boots until they found out it cracked the leather.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5125 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
"Glasswax"; does anyone remember from the 50s/60s? It was a pink liquid that came in a metal can. You applied to glass and I suppose mirrors and when it dried white, you rubbed off w/soft cloth. At holidays, it came with stencils and you could decorate your picture window with bells, santas, etc.!!!

It was fun, but made kind of a dusty mess as you cleaned off the dried material. I still remember the smell. Prob not good for folks w/allergies/asthma.

Posts: 2931 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Glasswax"; does anyone remember from the 50s/60s?

Yes, I do. there also was a wonderful product that is no longer sold. It was Jubilee wax and it came in a bottle and was white and creamy. It smelled good too.

I remember laundry detergent. . . Lux, and Rinso and my mom often grated feels naphtha into the washing machine. I remember bluing to whiten your clothes and liquid starch. These both were applied to appropriate articles in basins of a mixture of the product and water, no sprays!

I remember Kemtone paint which always nauseated me. Bleach in glass bottles.

I think my parents cleaned with lysol, pine sol and **** and span.

Posts: 13092 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOS: You can order Jubilee wax from the Vermont Country Store.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have used that additive for painting the garage. It's called Bu*gJuice.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unb...-gal-37005/203554412

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9512 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I remember the Fuller Brush man coming to the door to sell cleaning products and we also had a bedspread and curtain salesman (Shiffman's) who came to the door. Those products lasted for years but were very expensive.

html

Posts: 2540 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered Jubilee from Vermont Country Store because I used to love it. I used it on all my kitchen surfaces back then. BUT, the directions on the bottle say not to use it on stone counters or stainless steel, so I sadly gave the bottles to my mother and daughter.

Posts: 3550 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GLASSWAX--I remember making Christmas stencils for windows and putting glasswax over them for the holidays! ALSO: anyone with smooth top stove--that cleaner--you put it on, wait--it makes a white surface that you wipe off and presto spotless GLASS top smoothtop stove!
LLIKE GLASSWAX! BUT just use VERY LITTLE!

JUBILEE was one of my all time Favorites for the kitchen--had forgotten it--thanks for reminding me!

We did have some good stuff but I wouldn't go back I'm liking today's products and health products (for women in particular) much better!

Posts: 1720 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We found and kept an old 1934 Ladies Home Companion magazine in our first home's attic. The ads are SO FUNNY!
Since Lysol was mentioned, bet you didn't know it was advertised as a medicinal antiseptic? The full page ad danced around this weeping woman's photo, with marital problems. Basically it was touted as d-ouche (although it was not spelled out as such), so she could feel confident and clean around her husband. Nurses swore by it, it said. Same company, same script in the ad and on the bottle.
Who knew??? LOL!

Posts: 9680 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I remember Lysol being added to a pan of water to soak and clean an injury. Worked great.

There was a black salve that came in a large tin that was also an antiseptic type product. Can't remember the name of that. Also, Syrup of Black Draught. Remember that? All I remember is that it tasted dreadful when you were forced to take some of it. Zemicol. 666 Tonic or something like that. Oh, I haven't thought about any of these since I was a kid.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6830 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Before other acne creams, there was Cuticura? Came as a black tar soap and a black cream in a small tin that one applied to blemishes. Wonder if that was similar?

Posts: 9680 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I remember Cuticura and that was long after the black salve I'm talking about.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6830 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post