Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  frustrated cleaning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

frustrated cleaning Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Finally a beautiful day here and DH went for a bike ride so I thought what a perfect time to steam clean my room that is the pass through to back door and basement.

Swept the floor, got out the cleaner, took off the canister, filled it and then tried to get it back on. After about 5 minutes I had to give up.

Simply did not have the strength to push the thing back into place. I do have arthritis in my hands (doesn't hurt,isn't the worst kind)

I also have trouble with the cellophane bags in cereal boxes, the tab pulls inside half & half containers etc. Don't know what I would do if I lived alone!

Oh here is a cleaning laugh. Yesterday I was dusting and inadvertently knocked the key to this clock behind the bookcase is sets on. It landed upright so we can not even get it out from sweeping under the bookcase. Good thing is though taking the two drawers out revealed that they are empty! More storage space!

(DH said he did not know it was my biennial dusting day) Such a smart a- -!

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with putting the canister back on, but I use scissors to open bags and pliers to grab and hold those pesky pull tabs.

I laughed at your husband's comment. I love that you both maintain your sense of humor.

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about opening things. Yesterday I tried to open the cellophane on a package of spaghetti. I finally had to poke a hole in it with a knife. I also use pliers to open those plastic rings on dairy products.

The last time I sealed my driveway I could not for the life of me get the lids off. I used pliers, grips, etc. but just did not have the strength to unseal those buckets. Finally had to have my son call one of his friends in town to come over and take the lids off for me.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
LOS, I too lose things when I clean. I lost one of my only 2 credit cards I have behind a bookshelf 6 months ago and still haven't gotten it out.

We have multiples of kitchen scissors, because I can't even open a potato chip bag any more. and WHO in the world thought it was a good idea to put pull top lids on so many cans these days? I use a spoon or butter knife to lift the lid and pliers to pull the lid off.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Finally had to have my son call one of his friends in town to come over and take the lids off for me.

Man oh Man! I just said to DH that I don't know what I would do if I lived alone. He said so enjoy it now!

An oyster knife I bought once near Charleston has been a life saver to me in so many ways. I use that to open up tabs on soda cans. Also to open sealed flaps on cardboard boxes so they can be flat to recycle. It is my go to thing!

Posts: 12135 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16460 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOS, I'm halfway between laughing because I do identify with everything you said and halfway to mad because "why the h*eck" are things things so difficult to open/close anymore? Mad

Not sure about the second part (those impossible packages ~ impossible to open and impossible to close) except I don't think it really has anything to do with our intelligence to comprehend instructions but it does seem to be a reality that the "new" easy-open/close instructions don't always work. Might have worked fine in a lab somewhere but I think many of us simply cut open that "cute new idea" rather than spend 10 minutes figuring it out! Cool

PS. I have told my dh that if he goes first, I will insist that someone (manager, checker or bagger) will have to twist off the lids of jars, lids and open some of the other "challenging" contraptions before I'll pay for them and take them to my car! You aren't the only one dealing with this issue!

BTW, just so no one gets the wrong idea, I'm still pretty active. I can hitch up my three horse slant trailer to my Ford 460 and haul my horse 100 or so miles up to 6500' elevation, unload and compete in a 25-50 mile endurance race, load back up again and be home in time to shower, change and host a dinner party ~ it's just those quirky "new" products that are driving me nuts! Censored

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ~Joyce~
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, just so no one gets the wrong idea, I'm still pretty active. I can hitch up my three horse slant trailer to my Ford 460 and haul my horse 100 or so miles up to 6500' elevation, unload and compete in a 25-50 mile endurance race, load back up again and be home in time to shower, change and host a dinner party ~ it's just those quirky "new" products that are driving me nuts! Censored

You are my hero....

~Joyce~

Posts: 7496 | Location: KY | Registered: Sep 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Another with bad hands and wrists. Thank goodneess I keep one of those razor blade cutters in the kitchen. Wonderful for opening bags. Jars are my biggest problem.

Major cleaning means someone is coming to visit and DH is throwing stuff into boxes never to be seen again.

I have to get DH to help open the bucket chlorine tablets for the pool come in. Talk about difficult directions! Each brand has a different seal and on most the directions are incomprehensible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Charming - you need a jar wrench.

http://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-...Wrench/dp/B0000CFR9L

There are other brands and are available at other stores. I love mine.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post