Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  House is Clean...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House is Clean... Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
...I am pooped!

Husband went to a school reunion lunch on Saturday. He left Friday...won't return until Monday. I worked Friday and will work Monday so I stayed home.

Saturday - I cleaned the screen porch floor. During the last downpour water ran into the room. Husband did some backyard grading so I took the opportunity to wash and sweep the floor. I threw some chlorine in the pool and started brushing it. then the brush broke so I went to town for another brush and some chlorine tabs. Finished the pool. Poisoned some ant beds. I showered then thoroughly cleaned the guest bath including scrubbing the tub and surround and the ring in the toilet bowl (we have iron water bllltttthhh). I vacuumed the bedroom carpet and mopped the tile in the bathrooms and down the hall. And when I was doing nothing else, I made some English muffins and watched the last Star Trek movie. (Gotta sit down some time!) Went to bed and read before falling into a deep sleep.

Saturday evening - it rained. It poured. I went out on the screen porch and watched water run around the end of husband's grading and onto the grilling porch which connects to the screen room... I grabbed a hoe out of the garage, kicked off my shoes, and in the pouring rain cut some ditches across the perfectly grated backyard for the water to drain. A bit of water still came in. Frown

Sunday - I should've gone to church, but did not know when I would get the chance to finish so...did that. I cleaned the shower in the master bath and the jetted tub AND the toilet ring...again. Baked a loaf of bread. Smile Vacuumed the rug in the living room then mopped the tile in the entry, living room, dining room, kitchen, husband's office. I dusted, washed sheets, made beds. Watched a movie - Grease - and laughed and laughed and laughed! Last week I cut out a corduroy jacket for DGD and started sewing on it this afternoon. I stopped when I sewed the wrong side of the first sleeve... time for another movie...27 Dresses. About to go roast some tomatoes, onions, and garlic for a new soup recipe. May try sewing sleeves in again later...

Bet I sleep good tonight! Big Grin

Posts: 16938 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I thought you were supposed to take it easy when the DH goes away!!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6507 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
sherry -- when my DH is gone -- I am like a whirlwind --I can accomplish so much! And I do, it keeps me from missing him -- being busy!

Looks like you accomplished a great deal plus had some good food and got to see some good movies!

He should be surprised when he gets home!

Martha

Posts: 5799 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sherry, I am exhausted just hearing all you did. Way to go gal! Wish I would get that spurt of energy.

Posts: 3107 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
When I really need to clean, I "kick" DH out with a request that he "go to the movies/bookstore/anywhere but here so that I can clean please"

It's the only way I truly can focus.

Hope you get some rest before the work week commences!

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally when DH is gone I holler at SIL and we go SHOPPING! Lots and lots of window shopping. I love going with her, she will "try on" a purse. Yep. Carry it around while we are in the store, then 9 times out of 10 she puts it back on the rack/shelf. LOL

DH is in the way. I clean in spots when he's home. I can't run the vacuum if he's watching tv and guess what he does...if he hears it rolling down the hall, he jumps up and moves to the living room to turn the tv on!! No joke. (But I have gone ahead and vacuumed in front of him for doing that. Wink He also asks silly questions like, "Didn't you just do that?" Yep...three months ago. And when he's gone, my floors stay CLEAN!! Once he was home less than ONE HOUR when he tracked red mud in. He said that you can't take your boots off every time you come in. I just looked at him. So he said, "Well, I'm not going to." I agreed with him on that. LOL

It's a circus around here some times. Big Grin

OH...He does not "kick out"...He just moves from the office to the living room...trades computer for television...unless he's tracking mud in. Wink

And YES! The little pink jacket is finished except for the closure...buttons or snaps? I'm leaning toward snaps but will check my button jars first. Advantage to snaps is NO BUTTONHOLES to make!

Edited: Martha, I think that's part of it. The house is just too quiet!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16938 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
OH...He does not "kick out"...He just moves from the office to the living room...trades computer for television...unless he's tracking mud in.

too funny! And not more than 5 minutes after I replied to your post, DH said the dogs were pestering him for a walk - my response? Oh goody - I can VACUUM! Wink

Posts: 3235 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Sherry,

You need a vacation (in your sewing room) after all that work! I hear you about the vacuum noise too. Too funny about working around their schedules!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9429 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Too funny KYIS Smile

I miss DH when he's away but can get so much more done without him around.

Posts: 2202 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's the old saying about men?
Can't live with 'em. Can't live without 'em.

Or is that what men say about women??!! Smile

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Happy you accomplished what you wanted.

I used to do the same thing when hubby was out of town on business, but when he came home he noticed no difference so I quit doing that.

Now, when he's gone I eat what I want, watch chick/flicks, drink more wine and reeeee-lax Wink

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CJO That is normally what I do - or sister-in-law and I go shopping - but my house was in dire shape...and we will have company this next weekend. Of course that will require changing sheets on "my" bed three times this week since we had a guest last night...and I wound up on the couch after waking three times in three hours listening to husband snore... I snore too, but I don't wake myself. Big Grin

I have had friends over a time or two for chick-flick movie night (early evening) and dessert with wine.

posted Hide Post
Your schedule is very hectic i think you have to take some rest for few days. I think taking the help of vacuum cleaner will make you feel better while cleaning your home.

Posts: 20 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The advertiser is all over the place and has been reported as in violation of the board rules. Idiot!

Posts: 6507 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but the board doesn't seem to be moderated.

I sent Billie a private message letting her/him know that although we appreciate his/her input to the forum that self promotion of products and websites is not appreciated and if I see similar posts in the future I will let the company know what kind of person is selling their wares.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3466 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep BillieHowery, I've rested a little bit since I cleaned house the end of September last year. Hmmm...perhaps I need to do it again. Ya think? Or should I just wait until the end of this September. Think if I cleaned my house once a year that'd be okay?

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Yep BillieHowery, I've rested a little bit since I cleaned house the end of September last year. Hmmm...perhaps I need to do it again. Ya think? Or should I just wait until the end of this September. Think if I cleaned my house once a year that'd be okay?

Works for me. Wink

Fun and Info

Posts: 3466 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Me, too!!!!!