Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  OT--when depressed with cold/snow--what do U do?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT--when depressed with cold/snow--what do U do? Sign In/Join 
posted
I am so fed up and tired of COLD (low 20 to 0'F) we've been having and over 2 weeks with nothing above 32'F and our snow and ice is still just as thick and just as slippery plus hard as a rock now.
My hubby (senior like me) has to go out to dig out a path for the oil man and that isn't something I'm looking forward to his doing.

I am just depressed and very sick of WINTER!
Can't afford to travel so don't go there.

BUT what do you do??

Posts: 1708 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I have a sit and sew/quilt group that meets at the library. I have a friend that also is in a quilting guild that meets on Wednesdays. We have had a bunch of snow that has come on Wednesdays and Sundays. I joke with her on the phone about getting out her blizzard bag quilting or B1ble. I find when I get out of the house, the cold gets the cobwebs out of my head. lol

piney

Posts: 3188 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
read, read, plan (imaginary) garden, plan home improvements (also imaginary)

I am disabled and a fall would be catastrophic so I just don't go out much in this kind of weather. Its funny we actually have our window just barely cracked so its refreshing sleeping.

I make soups, and have special movies I love to watch. and think of spring.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1561 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Try to think positive marcydaisy. Every season has nice things to enjoy. For instance, in winter it is nice to make a fire and and read a book by it. It is fun to enjoy that cozy feeling of being inside, and warm, while looking out the window. Winter is a good time to do hand projects as you are more likely to be inside. Crotchet, quilting, making scrapbooks, writing a journal of your life, seeking out your genealogy, straightening the closets, watching movies on TV, cooking stews and soups, baking homemade bread, playing cards or board games with your husband, writing old fashioned letters to your family, practicing the piano or another instrument, trying a new skill such as painting, or drawing, or embroidery. Gosh, there are lots and lots of things that are perfect to do when you are a little home bound by the weather. The point is to see the season as having it's advantages, instead of looking for the negatives.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add. SAD (seasonal affective disorder ) is REAL and it can be treated with exposure to light.

Lights for use in treatment are inexpensive and can be found everywhere. Wallyworld has them for example. You don't need a ************ and years of use and studies have proved they work.

Look up "SAD lights"

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1561 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a "grump" day. Tell your husband to ignore all you do and say all day. Then don't get dressed, brush your hair or teeth. Lay around and feel sorry for yourself. Yup, do nothing that makes you feel good. Get it all out of your system.

The next day will look brighter and you might even be able to find a sliver of sun to sit in.

Posts: 7032 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We have had more daily snow here in the Rockies than normal. Normally there is some thaw between snows, but it has been pretty continuous for a couple of weeks, and others are complaining a bit too.
I personally can walk every day for 30-45 minutes. No matter the temperature/conditions, I dress for it. (Of course the dogs tend to encourage me to go out, if I am feeling lazy)

Icy conditions call for the stretchy metal grips put on the bottom of boots. A slip or fall is no fun.

Physical activity outdoors, light and fresh air always help me feel better and enjoy the quiet of winter. Plus it can feel so good to come in and get warm too.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
ITA with Marcydaisy. This has been a hard winter. But despite the weather and even SAD, depression is a condition that affects many but not all people. (I have a friend who once said, "I never get depressed, I never let myself" to point out the absurdity of such a statement, I replied, "I never get asthma, I never let myself")

So depression is also difficult in that it is not understood sometimes. Personally I have found that I don't get as depressed as often now that I am older. That is because in general my life is better now. So look to other aspects of your life Marcy. Talk to your friends about your feelings. Do whatever it is that gives you pleasure despite what others say.

One time I heard that depression is anger turned inward. B itc h, even if it is only to yourself! As far as walking in icy/snowy conditions, what might be an adventure even into the sixties is not so much fun when you are in your eighties. In the first place a fall might mean you can not get back up without help.

Good luck, spring will finally arrive. Buy yourself a bouquet of flowers in the meanwhile. Just be kind to yourself.

Posts: 12611 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I can be so hit by SAD that all it takes is one day of grey and I've got the blahs like nobody's business. My family lives so far north that it is dark from 4pm to 7am at the worst part of winter, add snow and cold and cabin fever gets bad. I now live out west and if I could bottle the beautiful sunny day we're having today I would send it to you.

The one thing I find helps me more than light is a bright sky blue. You're stuck inside so watch a movie or nature program with bright sunny blue skies if you can. Chicken soup is always a great thing for lousy days - though your favorite comfort food will do just as well.

Also, see if a local kid or an neighbor can help with the snow removal.

Posts: 3271 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Bird watch.
Go for a walk.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that fresh flower idea in winter. Maybe buy a bouquet of fresh flowers every week while grocery shopping?

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My MIL sent me pics of THEIR snow in their sideyard. They also sent a SPRING photo for comparison. Spring IS still on the way!

But to give you a look at SNOWFALL....they have several shrubs that are completely covered by the snow in their sideyard. They have shoveled until the snow is halfway up the shed door. FIL's selfie pic shows us how tired this snow business is taking on them. Bless their hearts! They're greatgrandparents and they are still shoveling snow with more coming their way this week.

We've been told their shoveled mound on the curb is 6 ft. high. This winter has been totally unbelievable!

Posts: 5170 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
On a lighter note....received a phone call from a dear friend because they were having a snowday! Yippeee!!!!!!!

She moved south to get away from the snow. I think they've had more than we have. lol

posted Hide Post
We usually have mild winters in this part of *****iana--as in never wearing a heavy coat. But this winter has been very cold. I am trying to remember that I WISHED for this cold weather back in July and August when the heat was so bad we couldn't take walks with our dogs.

Posts: 3411 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I hear ya, but one has to count their blessings. For instance our area was recently hit by ice causing power outages to the tune of half a million people. We were fortunate that it lasted just shy of 24hrs. Plus, we used our generator at times and kept a wood burning fireplace active. Just behind our development, a neighborhood endured almost a week w/o power. Some parts of the country endure droughts, floods, sink holes, mud slides, avalanches, forest fires, tornadoes, etc. Put your circumstances in perspective and come to realize how fortunate you are.

To fill our time DH. read, I worked on jewelry making for my volunteer job during daylight hours and we listened to a battery radio. The fire kept us cozy. Do things you can do that make you happy depending on your circumstances and capabilities such as crafts, movies, books, games, phone calls, letter writing, music, baking, feed the birds, write in a journal. Take this time to reconnect with your loved ones. Even gazing at the beauty of new fallen snow on branches and lawn reminds us of awesome Mother Nature is. Just this morning I commented how gorgeous the sun played on the glistening snow and actually hated to see it vanish...it was THAT pretty. I love to spot a pretty Cardinal on a snow laden branch or a deer resting in the wooded land behind our property. If I am lucky, I can sometimes catch a glimpse of a red fox searching for his prey. In short, train yourself to celebrate the change of seasons as each have their positive points that to ignore would be a shame.

Posts: 18680 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
What do I do? I enjoy every minute of it! I love winter and tend to get depressed in the spring and summer. Yard work is the enemy. Hate it. I would rather scrub floors than do anything in the yard. We have an unspoken agreement that DH never cooks or loads & unloads the DW, and I never do yard work. We have 1-1/2 acres, so sometimes I take pity on him and help a little, but he usually suggests I go inside. Smile Every time I trim something I feel it necessary to say "Off with your head!" I think it bugs him.

Posts: 3606 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Put your circumstances in perspective and come to realize how fortunate you are.

Froo, if one is suffering from depression that is a real medical situation. Intellectually we all know that if we are typing a message into these forums we are not a victim of any tragedy.

SAD is a real diagnosis. It is not a made up bid for attention.

Of course we are lucky in Maine to not have hurricanes, (rarely), tornados, earthquakes (had a small one a year ago) or sunamis, volcano eruptions etc.

Any way you do not talk yourself out of depression any more than you talk yourself out of many other conditions that some people think you can change about yourself.

BTW I am not depressed but I have been there often enough to not be dismissive when someone like MarcyDacy says they are.

Also it is Da mm ed inconvenient to be incapacitated by snow and ice repeatedly esp as we age and are on fixed incomes. It is a reality that it makes life harder on people, else why do you think everyone who can afford the money and time immigrates south for the winter?

We are the only retired people on our street who stay here. there is a real reason for that. (people leaving)

posted Hide Post
Recovering from respiratory "crud" and we are expecting a major snowfall this afternoon through tomorrow afternoon.

I am making vegetable beef soup. My late Mom usually made soup when it snowed, so that is comforting to me.

I don't want to bread any more bones, so don't like to go out when parking lots and sidewalks are icy.

I had been in about a week and ventured out yesterday to the grocery store for soup makings. Going to the store before a major storm is not my idea of fun. Dh had come down with it too, so he didn't feel up to it. Hope ds will be able to handle the shoveling.

While staying in, have been watching a lot of the Olympics. I had planned to do some handwork while watching, but haven't felt like it. Maybe will do some this afternoon. That would give me a lift.

The older I am getting, the less it is bothering me to stay in. There have been times when it would get to me. This winter has particularly harsh and difficult for a lot of areas.

Make an effort to find something that makes you feel better, even if it little small steps. Good luck.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6280 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We have some states that have received all this snow. Out west they are concerned about the drought.

I've been wondering how much Flooding will take place with the snow.

What is needed....refrigerated trucks hauling the snow out west. Then, several problems could be solved.

Hope everyone's basements are prepared for the water levels in the spring.

I tried getting out before the snow fall this morning and just wasn't quick enough. Fortunately, I was able to drive home safely without incident.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I thought cocok's post was the best and I totally agree!!! I too have had my share of depression but it was never weather-related. (I dislike the summer!) I think the key is to keep BUSY. I loved the suggestion of writing old fashioned letters!! I love writing and I now TREASURE many of the letters my beloved aunts and mother wrote me. I have tons of their greeting cards as well. Sit down and just start writing all your dear close family some heart-felt letters. I know they will treasure them forever and ever just like I do!! If you have children & grandchildren write them all individual letters and decorate the letters too! (I love to draw so I have always decorated my letters & envelopes!) After that, find some other things to do to occupy your time. Do you like knitting? I am sure your family could use a lovely hand-knitted scarf or hat. My sister knitted scarves for me years ago. I still wear them and got compliments on them!!!
I too am sooooo sick of this terrible, terrible weather. (snowing like crazy right now) But now, I refuse to get depressed. I decided I won't 'let myself' get depressed any more and I remove the TRIGGERS that I know will depress me. (such as photos of all my family members, aunts, mother, cousins now gone) I refuse to hang up any photos of my family. It would just make me cry. Just remove the triggers that depress you and be thankful you are alive and indoors. Keep busy, and remember spring will be here in 35 days!!!!!!! WinkXOXOXOXXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2430 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
! I too have had my share of depression but it was never weather-related

Was it writing letters that banished the non-weather related depression you felt?

If a trigger for depression is the snow and cold what do you suggest those people do? I mean other than move to a sunny climate.

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
No, writing letters had absolutely nothing to do with depression. I just thought it would be something that would be appreciated and valued later on by her family who received her letters. (my aunts lived in Fla. so I didn't see them that often and we loved writing each other). I understand that this weather is not helping her moods but I thought just keeping BUSY might help. Not everyone is 'clinically depressed' and sometimes you can fight your moods. Making plans to go to the movies with a friend might ease her sadness if she is able to drive somewhere in a day or so. I don't know, but I know I have been there many times so I do 'get it'. I hope she feels better very soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2430 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
For those who don't go out because they are afraid of falling on the ice - buy a pair of Ice Cleats.
https://www.google.com/webhp?s...ice+cleats+for+shoes
They are mounted on heavy rubber and go on the bottom of your shoes. In the north they are sold at sporting goods stores, near the ice fishing supplies. In the south you may have to order themn by mail.

I work full time. That's all I need this time of year.

I get the Christmas blues. I treat that by ringing for the Sa1vation Ar-my. It make my bad leg hurt but it makes my brain feel great.

Posts: 8610 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The Yaktrax walkers (from JoW's post link) are what we have for in town. We also have heavier spikes for hiking on trails. They are both worth their weight in gold, under icy conditions, and easy on an off too.

Posts: 9615 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty soon we won't be able to see getting out of the driveway!

Had to be plowed three times last week! Costly when you are on a fixed income! Plus feel sorry for the guys as we have very limited room for snow disposal. The neighbor next door will not let us have any put on their space.

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
I re-read and see that Conrad and I both have cleated boots.

If you can, go to the library; research local paper's archives on family, your community; help a school age boy/girl.

The Olympics are helping many pass the time.

Learn a craft.

Plenty to do.

Posts: 5936 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I feel for you, LOS, and everyone else trying to cope with this ongoing cold and snow. At least in Central Texas, the sun has occasionally come out in spite of some unseasonably cold and icy weather this winter.

There is a big difference between cabin fever, situational depression, SAD and clinical depression. The lousy weather and lack of sunshine -- combined with the real physiological effects of low barometric pressure -- can aggravate these conditions, especially if someone is undiagnosed and untreated.

As for relocating to the southwest and generally warmer parts of the country, that is a trend not only among retirees, but also among those looking for better job opportunities.

Just to set the record straight, it is not just for people with high incomes who can relocate. We did so 10 years ago, on a fixed income.

I am very grateful that we moved from the Northeast to Texas when we did. We have BTDT with extreme cold weather and snow and do not miss it. However, we do suffer from cabin fever in reverse during the unholy hot summers, when all you can do is stay inside with the A/C on high.

It's good that we can all use this forum to reach out to others when things are bad -- and good.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post