Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  what's in your wallet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what's in your wallet? Sign In/Join 
posted
Just got new debit card today and gonna do some cleaning in my wallet. Have been VERY lucky to have never lost a wallet or had one stolen. Don't even want to think about what a PAIN it would be to replace everything in my wallet. SOOO, I'm doing a little cleaning... something I like to do at least once a year. I'll take EVERYTHING out of wallet and make copies, front & back. That way I'll have any numbers I'll need to call for replacements. Have a few things other than cards that would be difficult to replace easily... my ************ for glasses/contacts, copy of June's rabies certificate, and who knows what else I'll find in this treasure hunt!?!

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just HAVE to ask... WHAT is so bad about the word pre scr ipt ion that it had to be starred out!?!

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I make sure I have a credit card that has a very low credit amount... $1,000.00. And that is the only cc I give to restaurants... I'm always a bit uneasy when I hand my credit card over to someone and they walk off with it. I also never sign my signature, I always put "See I.D.".

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thatchairlady:
I just HAVE to ask... WHAT is so bad about the word pre scr ipt ion that it had to be starred out!?!

Nothing in our eyes, but I see you spelled out the word with spaces- you worried too?Smile

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SR, I've never heard of not signing for a credit card purchase. That sounds like a really smart idea. Did your credit card issuer clue you in? Or how did you learn to do this?

Posts: 3493 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you carry ** glass and rabies certificate with you? I always thought it sufficient to have them at home.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I've had my wallet at least 15 years, a very nice Lady Buxton, that I love. I carry my driver's license, my library card, the AAA card, my debit card and our health insurance cards.

I also carry photo copies of our grandkids custody papers, since on occasion we have been asked for them..( back when we crossed into Canada occasionally..) also the couple of times we've had to take kids to the ER they wanted more than just the insurance cards.

Normally I don't carry my CC's around, but if we are traveling, I have one..

Oh and folded up and tucked away is a copy of Shakespeare's sonnet 29..

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think what SR meant by note signing was the actual CARD!?! Seem to remember reading/hearing/seeing something about NOT signing cards. That way if card was stolen, potential thief would have to produce other/picture ID to use it.

As for glasses prescrip... I'd be helpless without glasses or contacts. Do a few road trips that definitely take me out of my area. Figure if glasses broke, W-mart would take mercy on me!?!

posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time someone asked to see the actual card. If they have swiped it they have never turned it over. Times are changing.

The only thing I carry, beside cards, is a list of ** I take. Handy to hand the emergency room (have had a few visits lately) or jog memory at doctors.

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also never sign my signature, I always put "See I.D."

What does this mean? Far as I know an unsigned credit card can be refused. The point is to compare the signature on the card with that on another piece of identification, like a drivers license.

Metwo, what do you mean about them not seeing the actual card? In using it we always have to produce it, either to swipe it or to hand to the waiter, clerk etc.

I carry one credit card. MY driver's license, my AAA card, my insurance card. Maybe one of those cards from a bakery or such where you get one loaf free, after so many. No pics. carry bills and coins. whatever is my spend money at the time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
quote:
I also never sign my signature, I always put "See I.D."

What does this mean? Far as I know an unsigned credit card can be refused. The point is to compare the signature on the card with that on another piece of identification, like a drivers license.

Metwo, what do you mean about them not seeing the actual card? In using it we always have to produce it, either to swipe it or to hand to the waiter, clerk etc.

I carry one credit card. MY driver's license, my AAA card, my insurance card. Maybe one of those cards from a bakery or such where you get one loaf free, after so many. No pics. carry bills and coins. whatever is my spend money at the time.

Instead of writing your signature on the back of card we write "ask for I.D." That way if someone else has your card they can't forge your signature.

Posts: 2654 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I got into s big brouhaha some years age because I had not signed my card. A (new) clerk at the surplus store we had gone to for many years refused to accept it and the support she received from her superior (who had seen us there probably 1,000 times! backed her up. they refused to accept my card even with all the i.d. I had in my wallet! They would accept my husbands (same number) because he had signed it.

I see that "superior" each time I still frequent that business but have never spoken to her since.

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
I got into s big brouhaha some years age because I had not signed my card. A (new) clerk at the surplus store we had gone to for many years refused to accept it and the support she received from her superior (who had seen us there probably 1,000 times! backed her up. they refused to accept my card even with all the i.d. I had in my wallet! They would accept my husbands (same number) because he had signed it.

I see that "superior" each time I still frequent that business but have never spoken to her since.

Mastercard and Visa insruct the merchant to have the card holder sign the credit card and then verify the signature against valid I.D.

We only write ask for I.D. because most stores here will if I have it written on the card. I don't know how much good it will do though because I discovered today that most criminals don't bother trying to forge your signature because they are counting on the cashiers not checking. Anyway, I was looking information today on the change over coming in Oct. 2015 to microchiped credit cards in the U.S. and found this useful information regarding credit cards and debit cards in general.

http://consumerist.com/2014/07...-asked-all-the-time/

That was a rather long winded post on my part.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2654 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not have to have the actual card to run up charges. Someone ran up $1000. on my debit card when it was in my wallet. All in a few hours at Wal-Mart in another state.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
One thing I just learned to carry in my wallet or handbag is the registration for my disability hang tag for my car. The clerk in my new county told me. It's not enough to just have the tag. If police question it I will need to show them the registration paper, just like a vehicle.

Posts: 4569 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things apparently are different in different parts of the country. I usually swipe my own card but when I don't I try to watch it carefully. No one ever turns it over to look at the signature.

The last time someone did it was because the card company flagged it because I was buying an expensive item over 900 miles from my home address.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sis2:
You do not have to have the actual card to run up charges. Someone ran up $1000. on my debit card when it was in my wallet. All in a few hours at Wal-Mart in another state.

This is so scary to me. Were you able to recover the money? Hopefully you weren't held responsible for those charges.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I don't have a debit card at all because the money is taken straight out of the bank account and it's gone then. You have better fraud protection with a credit card. We pay our balance off every month so are not hit with exorbitant interest our fees and get points on our card that I have asked to our bill once or twice a year.

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a credit card for purchases but monthly bills are drafted from my bank account and I like a little cash to tip my hairdresser, etc. No it didn't cost me anything and nothing bounced because I caught it pretty quick. I've also hand my credit card number used while in my possession and had to get new cards both times. My neighbor just had hers used overseas but it was refused. The credit card company called her.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had merchants who compare my signature to my driver's license. They shouldn't allow you to use a credit card that is not signed. I have seen cashiers reject cards for not being signed. Sometimes, they look at cards when purchases exceed a certain amount. After the Target hacking problems last year, Chase told me to let them know when I am out of town and anticipate using my credit card. Credit card companies should be forced to use the security chips that are mandatory in Europe, there they don't have the same hacking problems that we do here in the US.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I have too many credit cards in my wallet. I use different cards for different purchases. DH is always trying to get the best rebate deal so I'm always switching out cards. Plus I have my debit card, my license, my library card, my real estate license, and a couple of store discount cards.

A little change and today - no cash. I need to make a bank run.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I carry as little as possible. Driver's license, ATM card, one credit card. Health insurance card and Red Cross Donor card, one or two store loyalty cards. ATM receipts until I take them out and file them. Paper money. Coins are in a separate coin purse.

I keep spare glasses in my car, my most recent outdated safety glasses because I can't drive without them. And I keep a pill bottle full of quarters - it holds $7.50 - for emergency purchases.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
SR, I've never heard of not signing for a credit card purchase. That sounds like a really smart idea. Did your credit card issuer clue you in? Or how did you learn to do this?

A lawyer friend told us to do it.

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE] They shouldn't allow you to use a credit card that is not signed. I have seen cashiers reject cards for not being signed.

I've never once been rejected for my cc not being signed, it's a whole lot safer to see my drivers license with my picture than to see an arbitrary signature... imo.

posted Hide Post
The attorney who gave us this advise is a very well known attorney in the state of Florida and his specialty is fraud. So, I have every reason to trust him and his firm, they've been in business many years and is very successful, and a dear friend, and he does the same thing.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
It has been many years, but I've had a card rejected because it was not signed. I was not allowed to sign the card in front of her.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I made a copy of everything in my wallet a long time ago. One thing I changed is I no longer carry all my credit cards. I used to carry all of them, now I only carry one, unless I know I am going shopping, then I will bring the stores ones with me too. I am one of the very, few, RARE People that actually pay with real green dollar bills. When I go local shopping, I actually use cash! What a concept! When we go grocery shopping I think we must be the only people in the whole supermarket that actually whip out green cash at the end of the big shopping trip!!! (seriously, no joke)

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post