Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

winter woes Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
Marcydaisy's thread made me think of some other difficulties of living in a cold climate that do not have to do with shortened day light hours, lack of sun, cold/ice.

First there is the cost of heating. Right now oil prices (most houses here are heated by oil) range from 3.559 a gallon to 3.7459. Of course the colder it is the more heat you need. Wood is also expensive (275.00 a cord) and then it must be stacked and stored and then moved and restacked and then moved and consumed by your wood stove.

Sand is spread on the streets and we also use it on our walks and stairs, or we use ashes or crystals. All of these get tracked into the house. So you need extra mats or rugs or we use towels. They are a constant at the doors. The doors also need draft dodgers and we have a heavy curtain hanging at our front door. You need heavier window treatments, throws and covers for sitting.

Boots are a nuisance in entryways, they make dirt and clutter. Heavy wet coats need a place to dry out before they are hung in closets. You need storage for hats and gloves/mittens.

You must stop at the entry way with packages and groceries and remove your boots before putting things away.

As far as snuggling up to a wood fire. No you don't do that in the winter in a cold climate. Using a fireplace is far too inefficient a way of heating a room or adding to it. Plus it lets precious house heat escape up the flue.

the weather also makes it difficult to make plans. We are invited to an event 6 hours away by car. We can only conditionally accept. The other day I had an appt to have my hair cut, it was cancelled a/c weather.

My son-in-law had to leave his house at 5 a.m. the other day to WALK to the train station. School in their town has been cancelled 5X already this winter and they are not even in New England! When you think that all this starts often in October and I have known a blizzard in April that left many stranded unable to get home, it is no wonder we are all not very depressed!

Posts: 12644 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree.

love life

Posts: 1517 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
So very true. Many don't think of the heat escaping up the chimney, just the relaxing look of the fire going. I remember the Mother's Day snow storm...May of1976/77??? And the snow we had May 18, 2002. (DD's Bday, not too happy I woke her up for a picture.)
Warm quilts are great but if the house is at 55 like mine in the main part it is shiver-me-timbers cold getting ready for bed. Thank goodness for electric blankets and the warm public library for our quilting group.

piney

Posts: 3191 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
My fireplace has a system that pushes the heat from the fire into the room. Not sure right now what it is called. Can't think of it. Anyway, starting a fire makes the room nice and toasty.

And I can't help it, but I love winter, even with the inconveniences. I love every season.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love winter,

Well Cocok, as I always thought you were somewhere like the Carolinas, but now realize you are in the Pacific coast. . . but is it in Washington or Oregon?

I mean do you live where you have temps and snow like we do in Maine or Central N.Y. state?

Everybody probably loves all seasons. . . but the lengths and the intensities do enter into
it.

BTW we woke up this morning to another new blanket of snow. More than they had predicted and me having a group over at 1:00. Worried about the plow people would they be here in time or would DH have to once again shovel the front walk, stairs, porch? This is a couple hundred dollars a month.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Many of the newer fireplaces and the inserts are much more efficient than the older ones.
Our insert has both a wire screen & glass doors and also has a blower.
I realize we don't get as cold as you up north, but we can tell a definite difference when we put the fireplace into use...and we do when temps are going to stay below 40º.

What we did when I lived in Ill. was to cover the fireplace opening with a sheet of steel with a hole in the middle to run a stove pipe through. We put a wood stove in front of it and the pipe through the steel plate and sealed around it. The damper on the fireplace was open so the smoke went up the chimney and we had a damper on the pipe from the stove to the opening. We heated a small house with that for several years. And one year we had temps low enough & winds high enough that we had a -70º wind chill...and burst pipes under the house. I melted snow on the wood stove to wash veggies for Christmas dinner that year.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4853 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to say, going from a cold climate to a warm one is one of the best things that ever happened to me. I don't miss the cold, snow, frigid temps and wind at all. Wind chill of -40? No, I never want to experience that again.

Ok, but the one thing that came to mind was removing shoes or boots inside the front door. I don't think I was ever able to do that in winter without stepping on a piece of snow or ice which then made my socks wet.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Lady,

You are all admired for your coping skills and living with cold like that. I couldn't function in that type of winter and being stuck in the house every day.

Warm hugs to you!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been a particularly bad winter even in Canada; winters have been less and less severe over the past ten years, but not this one. From about the middle of November till now...cold, icy, tons of snow(our snowblower has been repaired twice) and long days without sunshine. My little yorkie races out, does his business and gets back in; but he dreams of Spring when he can actually go for walks and sniff. We've had days that have hovered between 30 to 40 degrees c...don't know what the fareinheit eqiv. is., but cars won't start unless you've had a block heater on all night. Sometime it will be nice again, but for now, I catch up on my reading, internet, Pinterest and for now - the olympics....someday

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
Sue, I'm guessing you meant -30*C which is -22*F because 30*C is 86*F and no block heater needed then! When we had our diesel we had to plug it in for at least 2 hours before we could go anywhere. Down to 0*F/-18*C right now. My furnace has been slurping the oil all winter.

piney

Posts: 3191 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed I did mean minus 30-40; haven't had a winter like it for years!

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I'm probably in the minority, but I LOVE the winter and the snow! Every time I wake up to a new white covering I'm happy all day.

It puts me in the mood to bake and cook, and I like to shovel. I use my fireplace to keep my basement quilting room nice and toasty every afternoon.

We lived in one to the BIG southern states for a few years and I could hardly stand that every day was the same. Every day, basically the same with slight variations and few exceptions. That was so depressing for me. I would call my sis in Minnesota and she would tell me about all the snow or the beautiful fall, and I would just want to cry. I went through a terrible period where I wouldn't even open the blinds. Me...I'll take the snow.

Posts: 3608 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
When I was 12 years old living in NY I was walking home from school one day through the slushy streets, in a dress b/c we weren't permitted to wear pants, I said to myself "one day I'm moving to Florida" and 12 years after that I did. One of the best decisions I ever made as a 12 year old! I do not miss the snow one single snow flake.

Posts: 975 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
lady of shallot - I know exactly what you are speaking of. This has been the worst winter ever. I never tracked 'ice melt' into the house like this year, before. It has been one snowstorm after another with temps never even going high enough to melt the snow. Usually by the time we get the 2nd or 3rd snowstorm, the snow from the previous storms are gone. Not this winter. I do think you have choices in life. If you dislike the long, harsh winters you could have moved to the other 49 states. I think Spanish Revival had the right idea!!!!
I like the change in seasons, but only IF the winters aren't horrendous like this year. I could never live in a state where it snowed constantly all the way to May!! N E V E R !!!!

Posts: 2432 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
you could have moved to the other 49 states.

Yep that is a choice but then I would also have to choose to lose my mate!

posted Hide Post
My DH says he'll never leave Allentown general area so I'm stuck but both my daughter & her family says if it weren't for family here--they would have moved to North Carolina in a flash!

MY GOOD NEWS for you guys--Our local TV channel put up a recipe for ICE MELTER that anyone can make and it won't wreck porch, cement or gardens. They say it works FAST too.

Dawn dish soap with rubbing alcohol and warm water: Melted ice almost immediately. To make it, mix about a quart or a half-gallon of lukewarm water, a teaspoon or two of dawn, and a tablespoon of rubbing alcohol.

We're going to try it after the last snow flake falls because we have tons of ICE compacted and solid under all this snow.

I agree with everyone's assessment of living in the cold but I do think one reward for being stuck up her in the frigid north is when DH builds a fire and the fireplace radiates HEAT and cheerfulness--ours is a Heatalator that he put in the year we moved into this old house 1976. We use it almost every winter night! Luckily for us--1/2 our land is old trees and just the pieces that fall and limbs that break keep us all winter long.

Posts: 1710 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Staying in the frozen tundra is not an option for us - family or not. They can always visit. I didn't marry to stay in one spot forever.

Posts: 3127 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..and I just moved from Washington D.C. back to Massachusetts!

Posts: 494 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In fact, skin can get so dehydrated in winter that it loses its elasticity and can feel very uncomfortable. Moisture is key for healthy skin. Take vitamin C daily that helps build collagen in the skin to keep the skin tight yet elastic.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mobilejanitorial:
In fact, skin can get so dehydrated in winter that it loses its elasticity and can feel very uncomfortable. Moisture is key for healthy skin. Take vitamin C daily that helps build collagen in the skin to keep the skin tight yet elastic.

I take vit C, but haven't had supple skin for about 15 yrs...I'm just Older Style; LOL!

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Trying to pick a new state is hard. In NJ we may have some snowy winters but not always. The last 2 years has been pretty uneventful. Weather patterns are changing it seems or else weather forecasting and reporting has improved. I don't remember tornado warnings in NJ, now we have them once in awhile. We don't get the magnitude of the ones in the Midwest. We get hurricanes occasionally but not with the frequency of the southern states. Not too many earthquakes. Too many states to chose from.

Posts: 277 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
The negative temps this winter HAS been awful! We keep thinking of the wildlife. There will be a noticeable change in the populations. We've been hearing the robins returning to the area but snow is on the way. Be sure to keep those feathered friends fed & watered during this time. Spring IS around the corner, but more snow is also around the corner. What a winter!

Posts: 5182 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All states have drawbacks. If it isn't cold, it's blistering heat 100+ temps. Elec. Bills skyrocket. We've had an unusually cold winter and supposed to have hotter than normal summer. Most years we do have beautiful spring and fall seasons.

Posts: 2213 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
If there was a perfect place on earth, we would all try to get to there.

Another negative issue about FL is high mold counts which is really a problem for a lot of folks.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post