Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  OT - Antiques Road Show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT - Antiques Road Show Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
Hey all - Next week's episode of Antiques Road Show on PBS is from their visit to Myrtle Beach. I was one of the volunteers and it was quite a day. Looking forward to seeing the actual program.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey remind us again, some of us are forgetful. I like that show.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
LOL - that is why G0d invented the DVR.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Bet that was fun!!!!!! Will we see you on TV?

Posts: 2769 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
It was fun, but Exhausting! We were there from 6:30 am until about 6 PM (I lost track of time. Everyone was great and made it fun but the concrete floors of the convention center is hard on older ankles and legs.! Eek

The things that surprised me the most -
1. the number of Antiques Roadshow Junkies!!! These people centered their vacations on bringing their wonderful "stuff" to Myrtle Beach for the Roadshow. They had been wanting to do this for a lifetime!
2. Even the volunteers were from everywhere by Myrtle Beach.
3. What people think are treasures.
4. What jewelry is worth! I tried to get my BIL to give me some of his pieces (each volunteer could bring up to 2 pieces) he didn't respond. A friend had a Tiffany pin she was thinking of getting rid of. I took it for her and when we were given time to meet the appraisers the plain old leaf pin was appraised at $800! She knew right away that it was a Tiffany piece and explained why it was of value. WHo knew?

And Rule #1 for volunteers - doesn't matter if the person is 80 years old we do not help them lug in the antique high boy - it is up to them! They don't want us to be responsible for any breakage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
I've tried to get tickets for several years now. It's a lottery. In fact, they are taking sign ups now for the summer shows. I keep hoping each April/May that I have been given tickets -- not that I have anything of value to be appraised but it would be a great experience.

Lucky you to work with them!

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, too exciting! I am so jealous! Were the furniture twins there? They are so cute.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
MLV1 - If you are anywhere near where they will be filming - sign up to volunteer. The volunteers each get to bring 2 items to be appraised. It is a very long day and if you do what I did - take people to the appropriate appraiser it can be very hard on your feet and legs.

Charcoalsmom - LOL, not being a regular watcher of the show I didn't know that there were now "celebrity" appraisers. But quite a few asked if the Furniture twins were there, but alas we did not have them at our show.

posted Hide Post
I will keep the idea of volunteering in the future -- maybe if they come to Pittsburgh or Cleveland. This is where they will be this year:

Detroit, Jacksonville, Anaheim, Boise, Knoxville, Baton Rouge, Kansas City & Richmond

I applied for Detroit tickets this year.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I remember the show from Richmond - years ago one woman brought some "costume" jewelry left to her by a family member. Turns out the stones were real and worth over $600,000!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charming:
I remember the show from Richmond - years ago one woman brought some "costume" jewelry left to her by a family member. Turns out the stones were real and worth over $600,000!

Oh,oh,oh,oh,oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what I like about the show, besides it being overall totally interesting!

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Palm Springs one a few years ago and also to Seattle last summer, where I got filmed for the show. I can check that off my bucket list!

here we are now, entertain us

Posts: 662 | Location: sierra foothills CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
Charming How exciting for you A few years ago i got to bring my stuff It was exciting to be there And we DID get to see one of the Keno twins!!!

Posts: 5398 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MyLifeVacation1:
I've tried to get tickets for several years now. It's a lottery. In fact, they are taking sign ups now for the summer shows. I keep hoping each April/May that I have been given tickets -- not that I have anything of value to be appraised but it would be a great experience.

Lucky you to work with them!

Well I just checked and I didn't get tickets again! Bummer. But I'll try again next year.