Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  What do you use to clean granite countertops?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use to clean granite countertops? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CA Lori
posted
I've googled this topic and have absorbed a lot of data. I know what not to use but not sure about what to use unless you buy the product specifically designed to clean granite.

I'd like to clean my counters today and read that a couple of drops of blue Dawn and rubbing alcohol in a pail of very warm water is a good formula. Well, I don't have any blue Dawn. I do have a bottle of purple Method All Purpose Cleaner that says non-toxic and also have Simple Green, but neither of the bottles say that they are PH-balanced, which is what a couple of the websites recommended.

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have had my granite counter tops for a year now. When we put them in we sealed them and now I just wipe them down when I wash dishes. They still look as good as the day we put them in. So I just use dish soap and hot water.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3591 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
I use granite wipes. They come in a handy round container. One wipe does all of my countertops, so a container has lasted me forever. My granite is black, so when I use dish soap and water, it make them look cloudy....

Posts: 1729 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy Perfect Granite. It's the only specialized cleaning product I buy, but I have a honed black top on my island and home made cleaners don't work well.

Posts: 2027 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Pledge Multi-Surface cleaner. It is also good for stainless steel.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I use Blue Dawn (because that's what I use on my dishes) and water on a blue scrubby that's approved for use on granite quartzite, which is what I have.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I use whatever dish soap I have and warm water. My granite is black and so it shows streaks and fingerprints, so I just have to be sure the water is clean, and warm. Easy.

Posts: 7262 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I used the formula: In a 16 oz container, I added 1/4 c rubbing alcohol, 3 drops Method All Purpose Cleaner (pH 7), and 2 c water.

It worked great! I finished the job with Rock Doctor Granite Polish--my counters look like new!

Posts: 6073 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tulipsandroses
posted Hide Post
I use Seventh Generation Natural Dish Liquid with warm water. Then use dry towel. Ours looks new after 5 yrs.

Posts: 56 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Apr 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Soap and water on a daily basis and StoneTech products twice a year.

Posts: 3248 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post