Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iron? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Grapefruit
posted
I just finished the ironing and was thinking about the number of times that folks have remarked that they never iron or even own an iron any more!

I must be doing something wrong! As the season is changing I am beginning to pull lightweight sweaters out of my cedar chest. They were put in there clean and neatly folded. There is no way that they can be worn without being ironed.

When I wear a skirt for even a short time there are "seat" marks that must be ironed out before the next wearing. I am just in awe of the non ironing folks!

Posts: 3249 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't iron much, but have 2 tips that help me cut down on ironing- 1)whether packing for travel or storage, all sweaters and tee shirts get rolled up- cuts down on wrinkles. 2)I use the spray wrinkle released on some remaining wrinkles--body heat seems to press them out.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit, I still iron some of my summer clothes, although not so much this year because I was gone and I refused. Winter -- not so much. But, of course, since I'm a quilter the ironing board is always set up and just steps away.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6787 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I use the iron almost everyday, always have. I must be doing something wrong too. Confused
I can't stand to wear wrinkly clothes.

Even if it says wash and wear it still needs a light pressing.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7558 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I ironed more between when I was not working full time. DH was ironing his own shirts when we married - one each morning...ironing board went screeeeccchhhh when he put it up at 6 a.m. and I was still asleep. Then it went screeeeecccchhhh when he put it up. So for self-preservation, I started ironing his shirts...all at one time.

He retired. I quit. We sat around the house. I went back to work full time 3 years ago. I iron only what I have to iron of my clothes. I hang his. He asked me why I stopped ironing his shirts. I told him that I didn't have time. He once said that 'this' shirt really needed ironing. I told him the iron and ironing board stayed up in my quilting room just about all the time. I nearly goofed one time. I reached up to smooth the shoulder of his shirt one time and almost said, This shirt should've been ironed. Instead, I brushed an imaginary piece of lint off. Whew! Almost put foot in mouth.

Posts: 17325 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
When my kids were young and I was working my DH ironed his shirts. He did them when I had a bunch set out for him. Now that I am retired I do all of the ironing. It just seems like I still have a lot.

I know people who say that they do not even own an iron! I just cannot imagine that. I agree that even "wash and wear" needs a touch-up

Thanks for all of your input! KYIS.....it is good that you saw that lint!!!! Wink

Posts: 3249 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I iron everyday too even jeans and t-shirts and always pack my iron when travelling. My late grandmother used to laugh at me for ironing permanent press clothes.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
DH used to buy dress shirts sometimes...the ones that were 100 percent cotton.
I always made sure he bought the permanent press ones, but sometimes I was not with him.
Years ago, I got so that I simply refused to iron those cotton shirts...after he did it himself a few times, they were soon in the donation pile.

We are very careful as to using the permanent press cycle of both wash and dry, and the wrinkle guard that tumbles the dryer every few minutes if you delay to remove things when cycle is done. The really good shirts and slacks come out just fine for us with immediate hanging, anyway.

Folding or hanging immediately after dryer has done it's job tends to work well.

Iron is VERY seldom used in this house. Sometimes on the cotton sheet top hems and pillow cases, I get crazy and iron. Smile

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I go in fits and starts. I used to iron a LOT, but not so much any more due to disability.

I think I know when I'm feeling really well because my house is clean and clothes are ironed.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Count me among those dinosaur ironing ladies. I find the task much easier with my Rowenta steam iron. I discovered it's ease after borrowing my neighbor's when my cheap, non steam iron kicked years ago. The weight of the new iron was a plus I found and the steam feature had me sold.

My volunteer job deals with lots of clothing, much of which comes in wrinkled. We use a steamer there and I became a huge fan. Mine is a Rowenta bought at BB&B with a trusty coupon. It is practically a family room fixture. The task goes quickly, tho I still need to iron fussy fabrics like linen. Between these two gems, I don't dread the task any longer.BTW, I am a lifelong fan of creases in sleeves and pant legs (with a few exceptions) Wink

Posts: 18757 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I ironed them Big Grin I put creases in DHs sleeves. But I don't like them in mine. It is an evident throw-back to high school economics sewing classes. My teachers taught us that sleeves in men's shirts had creases...sleeves in women's shirts do not. We were told that was the main reason cleaners charged more for ironing women's blouses than men's. Now whether that is true now or not I don't know...or even then if it was just an 'area of the country' thing...but I just like the extra effort required in not ironing a crease in my sleeves.
...shoulder shrug....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17325 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I must be doing something wrong!

No, you are not! Maybe you are like me and really enjoy ironing!

I have a 4' X 8' work table in the basement and at one end I have an ironing "board" which I made out of a square of mdf or some such, padded and covered in white cotton which can be changed when I need to or want to. Many of my days start with a one hour ironing session. Nothing smells as good as line dried (out doors) then ironed sheets and pillow cases!

Since my life is so simple now I rarely use dress up clothes, but I do always iron DH' shirts, sport or not. Even his favorite L.L. Bean khaki short sleeved shirts that may have paint or other stains on them!

Posts: 13029 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes, LOS, I love the smell of the outdoors on my laundry! I cannot imagine life without a clothesline. I have a line strung on our screened porch so I can use it year round.

I cannot say that I like to iron, but I do not dread it either! It seems to be a necessity for our laundry!

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I introduced my husband to Rowenta iron. Not that he knows how to use it. lol I'm thankful I can iron his clothes for him, and myself.

My young adult daughter tells me about some spray to remove wrinkles. Guess I'm a dinosaur, too.

While we have NO company, keeping the ironing board in that spare bedroom works for us. Otherwise iron board storage has been a pain. I know there are ironing board cabinets. The question is where to place it? Laundry is in the basement. I'd rather have the ironing upstairs near the closets.

Posts: 5237 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clothes line - I WANT one! When we bought our place in 2004 I asked husband to put up a clothes line for me. He said Nope. No place for one. We have TEN acres.

I saw one of those umbrella things at Lowe's a few years back. I think I'm going to go back and see if they still stock them. I know how to dig a post hole...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
KYIS, go for it!!!! Do you have trees that could be used as posts? My outside lines are strung between trees. They are low maintenance!

posted Hide Post
Trees close enough are back behind the shop. But that's an idea for sheets, quilts, etc. Hmmmmm....Just have to get a line high enough that they won't "clothesline" DH when he mows. Smile Guess I could tie some bright fabric on it until he gets accustomed to it.

I have to wait for his next out of town motorcycle trip to string the line. Big Grin I still have clothes pins and my clothesline bag.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Yes, some projects are best done when our DH's are not home to notice Wink

Hanging out the bedding is my favorite thing. I have never put those items in the dryer. They do still make "clothes props" but they are far inferior to the old wooden ones. A large "forked" branch works best to keep large items from dragging.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't iron if I can help it! Which is maybe once or twice a year.
I decided long ago that even something that had been ironed got wrinkled so why go to all that effort?
I have clothes line...3 lines between 2 poles about 35' apart! I use is all the time unless it's raining. Everything then gets a 10-15 min. "fluff" in the dryer and if it is an item that goes on a hanger, it gets hung right away. Very few wrinkles. And my t-shirts that aren't old work ones, go on hangers.
If I'm sewing, the ironing board is up...but that is the only time!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5065 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
Trees close enough are back behind the shop. But that's an idea for sheets, quilts, etc. Hmmmmm....Just have to get a line high enough that they won't "clothesline" DH when he mows. Smile Guess I could tie some bright fabric on it until he gets accustomed to it.

I have to wait for his next out of town motorcycle trip to string the line. Big Grin I still have clothes pins and my clothesline bag.

LOL...this is so funny KYIS!! Please don't hang your DH Smile Smile

Posts: 2292 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
I had a clothes line until marrying DH in 1997 and moving to his town. No clothes line in the landscaped yard. Of course it's so humid 10 miles from the Texas coast that nothing would probably get dry.

Up until that time, I used a clothes line almost exclusively until I got a dryer. Still, when it wasn't raining, all linens, towels, etc. went out. If it was a good cloudy day, with no rain in the forecast I hung just about everything. I had a system...I washed my delicates first. Many items were hung on hangers over the shower curtain rod. Everything out went outside. By the time the perma press stuff the sheets were out of the washer, the delicates were dry. The perma press came off the line as the towels and jeans went on. When summer temps are 80-90 something stuff dries FAST!

Anyone ever had wet clothes to freeze? The weather turned. I went out to get the towels to drape them around the bathroom and they were stiff as boards. I grabbed one and jerked it up. It ripped up the fringed edge...

posted Hide Post
I am in SHOCK! I went into my sewing room to finish up a a sewing project and noticed two or three things had been moved.

DH actually ironed one of his shirts!!!!

Ohhhh...I may faint. Wink

posted Hide Post
Now isn't iron a four letter word? Ha ha!

I am so envious of all of you who talk about drying clothes on a clothesline! I just have never experienced that type of thing--the lovely aroma.

I'm one of the ones who does not own an iron. I did buy one a few years back--influenced one of our threads here--and I tried to iron sheets which did not come out wrinkle free by any means. I do love that aroma of the iron--I remember ironing a little bit when I was considerably younger--but I just don't do it now.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I will not buy anything that is not permapress. If it has to be ironed it doesn't come in my house. I have an iron and ironing board for craft projects.

I dry most things on folding racks, outside in good weather, inside in bad. I only use the dryer for linens and panties, only when its damp inside and out. The clothing lasts longer and dries wrinkle-free. Also, if I get a surprise rain storm I can bring in the racks with the clothes still on them.

For those who want an outdoor line - you can make it temporary. If you tie the line to the hooks with slip knots you can take the line down when its not in use.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Grapefruit,

I put sweaters in the dryer on a very low setting and let them fluff for a little while. That works for lots of items.

I purchased a 22x59inch ironing board but that is for sewing projects. It's made of wood and sets right on the table (no legs). The last board (metal) came crashing down when I loaded it with too many things. Frown

Sherry, Did you check DH for a fever? Smile

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9507 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
Sherry, Did you check DH for a fever? Smile

NO! As Schultz on Hogan's Heroes would say, "I know nothing." I won't say anything unless he brings it up.

I also have a couple of drying racks, one on the screen porch and one that fits perfectly in the jetted corner tub in the master bath - we rarely use it. I hang my "unmentionables" on it...underwear, slips, bras, etc. IMHO they last longer when not subjected to dryer heat. I hang my slacks and synthetic blouses on hangers on the old tension rod over the guest bath. (I bought one of those arced shower rods like you see in hotels. I put the old rod in the garage to give to give to someone then that next wash day thought that I better not hang anything from the new rod, so the old one stays above the tub surround toward the back (wall side) of the tub. GREAT clothes rod for wet clothes!)

I need to go up behind the shop and scope out the trees...pace off to measure for a clothesline. Big Grin

And yes, IRON is a 4-letter word!

Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I have a Rowenta that I love, although DH says not to bother ironing since we are retired. I still do iron some of his shirts, and a few other things.

I like to iron pillowcases for guest rooms as well.

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
After being dismayed by a famous store, I decided this topic needs to be readdressed. They sell Rowenta irons and ironing boards. They once sold starch. They haven't sold starch for quite awhile. Who makes a decision like this?

Do any of you have some "make your own" starch ideas?

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
How about your local Walmart....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sta-...ch-64-fl-oz/15028887

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5065 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
ga.Karen, TY for suggesting it. I went next door to get the three cans from the Walmart connected Sams. Since it wasn't there, I looked up a homemade recipe online. The people who provided the recipe said, "It's cheaper, and we have the ingredients." I tried to share a recipe for one of kids' favorite snacks. And this is what was said....."It's a guilty pleasure and I get it so infrequently, I'd rather just buy the box." So, I think this was for the matter of my convenience. I'll just start making my own. Thanks again for the suggestion. Someday, maybe? they'll bring back the three cans. I'll say one thing I appreciate Walmart has done: The smaller "grocery" stores. I'm impressed by the number of vehicles in the parking lot. We tend to shop there now instead. I just gave their sister store a chance.

posted Hide Post
It is rare that I iron. I put everything in the dryer and hang immediately....wrinkles (if any) fall out. Rugs and heavy towels are the exception....they are hung outside. Some sweaters are "lay flat to dry"....no wrinkles there. I am like JoW, nothing comes in my house that has to be ironed.

love life

Posts: 1566 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can still get spray starch via Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...2Ck%3Aspray%20starch

Does anyone remember "cooked" starch? My mother would make a batch of it, store what was leftover in a tall white Tupperware container in the refrigerator. One day older brother opened the refrigerator and instead of grabbing the clear plastic water jug, grabbed the starch container. LOL He didn't do that but once!

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:
DH actually ironed one of his shirts!!!!
Ohhhh...I may faint. Wink

You better keep checking for a pulse and watch your DH carefully! He's acting a little strange....Wink

I loved this thread!! I don't IRON. I dislike all these nasty 4-letter words: IRON,COOK,DUST, Etc. I have my ironing board out, but it's only to dump some stuff on. Occasionally, my DH will say 'this shirt needs to be ironed'. Usually the collars come out of the wash messed up or something. He will put it on said ironing board. And it will stay there for months. I DON'T IRON, PERIOD... I used to iron everything back in the day. Maybe they changed the materials in the clothes as women got busier. (too busy to iron anyway...) I don't buy anything that needs to be ironed and yell at my DH for some of his ugly, wrinkled COTTON SHIRTS that he buys and expects ME to iron...
I know some women are ironing freaks. They love to iron. I work with a woman who irons everything. Our clothes never has wrinkles, she irons everything anyway. My PET PEEVE is creases in Jeans. I can't stand them and I can't stand creases in women's sleeves. Of course my co-worker's black jeans have the leg creases. Hate them!
I don't iron sheets, pillow cases, underwear, slips (who wears a slip still?) or even shirts or pants any longer. My clothes are NOT WRINKLED, HONESTLY!
Someone on here does volunteer work where clothes have to be pressed. Excuse Me? You could not PAY ME ENOUGH to iron! I won't ever clean other people's toilets and I won't iron..... Anything else is up for grabs I suppose.
I have a lovely clothesline I ordered on line. I had a different one, and during a bad snowstorm a few yrs. ago it broke. Now I keep it closed in the winter. It's the umbrella type, love it. It's my very first clothes line!

Posts: 2537 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
All of my foundational clothing is a knock-off of the Travel Smith black wardrobe. Dresses, tops, skirts, and slacks.

When you have health, you schedule your time. As health fades, you schedule your energy.

No room in my Energy Schedule for ironables.

Posts: 4600 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trish212:
After being dismayed by a famous store, I decided this topic needs to be readdressed. They sell Rowenta irons and ironing boards. They once sold starch. They haven't sold starch for quite awhile. Who makes a decision like this?

Do any of you have some "make your own" starch ideas?

Who uses starch??? :Q Wink I hardly ever used starch in my life. Very rarely. What do you use it now for, collars?

Posts: 2537 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
As I see "professional" men taking their shirts in to cleaners to get them cleaned and ironed, I know many have given up on this. However, I'm thankful I can do this for him. He has told me that he appreciates how I do the little extras for him. But honestly, this is a two way appreciation we both share.

Convenience = I say I don't have enough time....something's got to give....

Most of the people I remember from my past....are those that did that little extra. One colleague told the story how a child apologized for having brought home baked cookies vs. packaged ones. The child didn't realize home baked are REALLY a treat!

I remember the days when I didn't have the EXTRA time. There were many evenings I would wait until my kids went to bed before I would do the necessary chores because I wanted to spend time with them.

Yes, I iron. I'm blessed I can do so.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
When we were once house shopping (about 30 years ago), DD was about 4, saw an iron and ironing board set up. She asked, "What's that Mommy?" I answered, "It is an ancient torture device that women had to endure, prior to Permanent Press fabrics." The realtor laughed. Wink

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I am still laughing as I answer this post. I do iron, often. When you buy something, as I just did, it is wrinkled badly. I tried to use my 6 month old cheapo iron and it spit dirty water all over it. I make sure that I empty the water out GOOD every time I use it. I keep up with my ironing because I hate to do it. I would love to buy another Rowenta as that is the only iron that doesn't spit like a mad cat!

html

Posts: 2532 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
You better keep checking for a pulse and watch your DH carefully! He's acting a little strange....Wink

On the other hand - since my October post TWO white shirts with Texas A&M logo above a pocket are still hanging in there. LOL I originally hung the first one and put it in his closet only to find it hanging on the "ironed" over-the-door clothes rack in my sewing room. So when the other went through the laundry, I just hung it - wrinkles and all - with the other. If he decides that he wants to wear one, they are in plain sight. Big Grin

I've had a linen blouse on the ironing board waiting until I'm ready for it for two weeks now. Haven't had an urge to wear it yet. LOL

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I just noticed yesterday in my travels, the spray for WRINKLES!!! I rarely iron but I wonder if it would work on collars and other parts of my DH's shirts that sometimes need ironing! (which I rarely ever do)

posted Hide Post
Love that spray stuff. DH's refusal to learn how to fold up properly sweaters often leaves him with many wrinkles. Just spray, smooth with hand and your body heat will cause most wrinkles to vanish. Sometimes I'll do it with one of my shirts and then put in bathroom while showering.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I press some of DH's long sleeved shirts in the winter. In the summer, I have some clothes that just look better after being pressed. And, of course, I iron fabric while quilting. Sometimes clothes will "hang around" for a week or so before I get to them.

I had to help with the ironing while growing up. Two brothers who wore jeans and cotton shirts every day to school and they had to be ironed. I learned how to iron on pillowcases and handkerchiefs.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6787 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seriously? i've never heard of anyone ironing sweaters. i didn't own an iron until maybe 10 yrs ago.. and didn't end up using it except maybe twice as an experiment. i live in tshirts and jeans.

Posts: 661 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
I have pressed sweaters that came out of storage with wrinkles.

We still iron.mI love the fresh look of ironed clothes and crisp creases. I use steam and starch too!

I don't buy clothes on the basis of whether or not I will have to iron them. If I like them, I buy them. And most of my dressier things need to be ironed. I wear t-shirts and jeans for the most part, but anything other than those usually needs to be ironed. I dislike synthetic fabrics. Most of mine are natural cottons and need to be ironed.

One of my pet peeves is people not ironing things mand wearing them wrinkled. It looks sloppy.

Because I have a dedicated sewing room, our ironing board is always set,up in there so its very easy to plug the iron in when its needed.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post