Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Urine Smell Lingers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Urine Smell Lingers Sign In/Join 
posted
What should I presoak urine wet slippers, seat protectors , etc. Seems like regular washing does not always get the smell out

Posts: 490 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried adding borax? I use it in every load of clothes.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Borax is a laundry booster.

Maybe soak in baking soda stirred into water.

Or soak in white vinegar?

Hey, I'm on to something. I remembered to pull out my Haley's Hints book. Cup of hydrogen peroxide to 1 tbsp. baking soda. Add 1/2 tsp. dish soap and stir well.
That's for carpet stains.
Then he says to let it dry and vacuum.

You might want to try some HP and bak. soda and a bit of dish soap and soak.

Posts: 5926 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
The first thing I try is VERY hot water.

Most people do not have their hot water set high enough to kill ALL odor-causing germs. We have ours set at 160 degrees all the time.

The thing is the hot water in the machine doesn't come out at 160. It's much lower, but still hot enough to kill the germs without adding bleach.

Recently we replaced our 22 year old hot water heater, and The Husband set it at only 140 degrees. Again, the water in the machine doesn't come out at 140... it's much lower.

And, I've had problems with odors again.

If you don't want to keep your water heater high all the time, perhaps pick a day you will be doing that type of laundry, and turn it up the evening before so it's ready to go during the day. Then, crank it back down for the rest of the time.

Also, I've found just a wee bit of bleach, like around a tablespoon in a load helps kill those germs (which are causing the odors) when used with hot water. Just that wee bit doesn't seem to bleach out my everyday clothes, linens, or doggie items.

Until The Husband has a few minutes to readjust the hot water heater, I'm using the bleach routine on nearly all loads. We just seem to be odor-causing germie people.

I keep a door cracked open to allow fresh air in the house when doing the bleach routine. A window would do the same thing. Also we keep the HVAC fan going all the time to encourage the fresh air circulation so the air inside our home isn't nearly as toxic as it might seem.

Posts: 4453 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Another suggestion, if you still have issues?

Natures Miracle or other urine enzyme treatment for pet urine. Can be found with pet supplies. Works on human as well as animal urine. They often use this in nursing homes too.

Wet the article or fabric well with the mixture important to wet every surface the urine soaked, place in plastic bag to keep the enzymes working at least overnight or longer. Then wash as normally done.

Posts: 9602 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck removing urine by adding a generous amount of washing soda (not baking soda, which is much weaker) to the machine with the detergent.
It can be hard to locate washing soda; Walmart doesn't carry it, nor do Target or K Mart. I find it in my local grocery stores.

Posts: 4491 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
My DD was born back in the dark ages before paper diapers. I always immediately put the diapers in a pail of water with some bleach added. This before I could launder. Never a lingering urine odor.

Posts: 12527 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I did the same with cloth diapers after a quick rinse in the toilet if needed, LOS. (Doesn't this sound like the dark ages, now?)Wink

My old top loading washer had a prewash setting...then wash, so I would dump the diaper pail contents in, with detergent in the wash dispenser, and they never did smell like anything but clean/white diapers. Seems ages ago.

Posts: 9602 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Another idea is to use a steam machine.
Steam forms at 212 degrees. At exit it will still be 190 degrees plus.
That will surely kill germs.

Posts: 5926 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M-ma, did you mean to suggest that borax does not act on odors? It does, you know.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
l of s and Conrad we must be the elders, lol...we too soaked diapers in a pail...actually did have pampers about 6mo after dd1 was born, but no tabs! had to use a diaper pins....

I do have my water heater set on hot, for not only the clothes, but the dw...

Posts: 8523 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
l of s and Conrad we must be the elders, lol...we too soaked diapers in a pail..

But think how advanced we were! MY DM made diapers each time she was pregnant. She with her mother's help would make 12 new diapers for each new baby. Since DM never had two babies in diapers at once (even though several of us were only 18 months apart) she could then also use old ones.

Posts: 12527 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey--add me to the elders here (I'm 65). Although Pampers were on the market in 1970 when my daughter was born, I did not use them after I saw how sensitive her skin was/is (natural redhead). Even the plastic interior of diaper pants was irritating so I only put them over her diapers when we were going somewhere.

And I like to hang the diapers out on the line for the sun to do its job. Did y'all use a clothesline, or did you have a dryer back then? I'm tempted to restring my clothesline and hang my towels and sheets out to dry. I loved the scratchy feeling. Plus, sheets properly hung on the line did not need ironing--not that I iron sheets anymore!!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Washing in really hot water and bleaching white diaper cottons can constitute quite a different animal... than doing so with some slippers and chair pads? They may not survive the treatment. That is the reason behind me recommending the Enzyme product. Like I mentioned above, nursing homes have been known to use it on upholstery, as well as carpeting.

But for sure trying a good dose of white vinegar (mild acid that deodorizes, that won't bleach out color) or the use of borax or washing soda may also do the trick for you.

(We did have Pampers and Huggies disposable diapers, but we only tended to use them for special occasions and travel.) I don't know anyone who still uses cloth, right now anyway.
And I used to hang clothes outside to dry in the sun...but the post went away with rot and never did hang a new line. Hope to put one up at the new house though. Miss the smell of fresh linen dried in the outdoors.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
One more thing I thought of. DO NOT use fabric softener!

It forms a waxy coating on any fabric, so the urine could be trapped and never completely washed out or cleaned. It can also be hard to completely dry items with this coating, and can also lead to mildewy odors.

In case you have used fabric softener, washing or soaking your items with a good amount of white vinegar can help remove the residue buildup.

Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
DS was born in 1983. Every trip to the big town to the doctor's office, I bought a bag of disposables. When they ran out, I used cloth diapers. They were definitely cheaper...we lived in the country...at that time we burned our trash. Wet disposables do NOT burn!

I know that I used bleach, but I also know that I gave them an extra rinse because of that. I hung them outside on the line with the weather was nice.

I had worked up until almost the day he was delivered, then became a SAHM for the next 8 years or so when I started college in preparation for returning to the workforce.

Posts: 16973 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Our Walmart carries Washing Soda. It's right next to the big box of baking soda in the detergent aisle.

Another cloth diaper person here! When my son was born the "first" disposables were just coming out and those where actually liners that fit into a certain rubber pants made for them. These were before pampers! I only used them if I was going to be out all day because they were too expensive for normal daily use!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4790 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
My youngest, DS was also born in 83.Wink
I knew some people who used diaper services. (Truck would come, take the bags of dirty cloth diapers and leave stacks of clean ones, for a fee) These went out of business in our city at least 10 years ago or more.
Disposables are the norm now, and yes they are a landfill issue. Used for both babes and Seniors/disabled.

posted Hide Post
Going to try each idea - will let you know what works best for me. Mom's 88 so I will be growing into, rather that out of diaper duty. I was born 1954 and my mom said because I had such sensitive skin, my dad use to soak my diapers in gasoline!!! No idea where that idea came from.

Posts: 490 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandlance:
I was born 1954 and my mom said because I had such sensitive skin, my dad use to soak my diapers in gasoline!!! No idea where that idea came from.

WOW!! LOL!!
Had never heard that one before! Big Grin