Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  New Cleaning tool
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Cleaning tool Sign In/Join 
Picture of Charming
posted
I have all tile on my first floor. Makes sense with dogs and living at the beach. But I hated mopping floors - I felt like I was just swishing dirty water around.

I purchased the Hoover Hard surface cleaner and it is wonderful! It squirts clean fluid on the floor like a carpet shampooer, swishes it around and then squeegies it up from the floor. My floors are actually clean and dry quickly.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great that you found a device that works for you because a whole floor of tile would be a lot of mopping, wringing and rinsing with a traditional mop. I used to mop my bathroom floors on my hands and knees with a towel because it was easier to me than using a mop...LOL!

Posts: 1721 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Because of the tight corners I still mop 2 of the bathrooms on hands and knees.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I bought the Shark Steam Mop from Costco. It's easy to use on my tiled flooring in the kitchen and traffic areas. I have a bad back and the knees are going, so this is how I do my floors these days.

Posts: 5881 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking about getting a steamer. When we bought our home, it was only 2 years old and inhabited for less than that. It was a bank repo. The people were not clean...they had dogs and evidently lots and lots of mice...BRAND NEW HOUSE! The bank hire two women and it took them a full week to clean. Then I cleaned after we bought it. DH thought I was nuts running a carpet cleaner again. Shudder. I found too much stuff in hard to reach corners.

I cleaned the grout in the floor tile twice. Once spraying with Fantastik and scrubbing with a long handled brush. The second time with a bleach cleaner and the same long handled brush. I betcha there's no telling what a steamer would pull out of that grout. Especially since we've now been here 9 years...no inside pets though!

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I really do need to clean the grout. The kitchen and hallway were tiled when we built the house 13 years ago and the rest of the first floor was tiled about 7 years ago. I have heard that you should not use bleach on grout. Hoover makes a grout cleaner I plan to try soon. Mine needs to be resealed so we just might get a pro to come in and redo it.

posted Hide Post
Stanley Steemer does grout. Do you have them in your area?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Charming,

I use BKF in the liquid form. Squeeze on the grout lines and scrub with a tile brush. Then rinse well.

The floors are white tile and miles of grout. LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post