Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Removing black marker
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Removing black marker Sign In/Join 
Picture of djklm
posted
Yesterday I went to an estate sale and bought 2 silver serving pieces. They had marked the price on the pieces with a black marker, I thought it would just wash off...wrong. They were not expensive but I plan on using them when we have large meals and need extras. Any ideas on how to remove the marker?

Judy

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas Zone 8 SE | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Try rubbing alcohol? The 90 percent stuff works faster than the 70, but any straight alcohol could help remove it safely.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Finger nail polish remover works too - at least that's what my mother used.

Also sometimes you can mark over the dried mark with a marker and immediately wipe off.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about baking soda? Make a paste with a tiny bit of water.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I have used both, starting with the alcohol and then trying acetone/fingernail polish remover. Imho, the baking soda might be too abrasive and mar the finish.

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djklm
posted Hide Post
Thank you Conrad!! The alcohol worked perfectly, I had the 70% kind but it was good. I would have never thought of that. Sherry, my DH suggested the writing over the marker with another, tried it first to appease him, it took quite a bit more rubbing and left it smeared. Thanks everyone...I knew I could count on ya'll!!

Judy

Posts: 112 | Location: Texas Zone 8 SE | Registered: Dec 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked for you.
Just so you know, I keep the 90 percent rubbing alcohol on hand for any ink marks on fabric or leather. It can even work on removing dried acrylic or latex paint on fabric (that has not gone through the dryer yet)

I learned that paint removal trick at Art Camp (tequila or straight alcohol of the drinking type can also work for this). BTW, this was ADULT art camp...Big Grin

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
I reach for Magic Eraser. I know it removes marker.

Posts: 5949 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of baking soda into a small mixing bowl and make a thick paste. Dip a clean, damp sponge into the baking soda paste. Apply the paste directly onto the black marks, using light pressure to rub it into the lines.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Goo Gone will also work! And it smells nice! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5003 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked! Cheap vodka is another great source for cleaning solution. You can also use it to deoderize clothes.

Toothpaste is another option, though abrasiveness could come into play with that as well.

Posts: 3404 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post