Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  i HATE my Stainless Steel appliances!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

i HATE my Stainless Steel appliances! Sign In/Join 
posted
hi all, my husband insisted on buying SS appliances. and i HATE them. i can't seem to keep them clean. i have tried the SS spray and SS wipes. i have tried mild detergent. they never seem to look nice. any ideas? thanks

Posts: 49 | Registered: Apr 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Pledge multi-surface spray (blue can) on both my stainless steel and granite. I also use a Quickie microfiber cloth for stainless steel to wipe the appliances after I spray. I have found this combination to be easy with great results-be sure to wipe in direction of "grain" of stainless.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have heard that not all Stainless Steel surfaces are as easy or difficult as others. But I can agree these are the last ones I will ever choose to have. We only chose/purchased them for a near future resale, as they seem so popular.

We have a 2+ yr old Frigidaire Refrigerator, that looks beautiful when clean. The grain of the stainless is horizontal, and as pkpk23 stated, I wipe across when cleaning/wiping. Just DH and I here so bad enough, but I would be wiping/cleaning daily if there were kids.

I use Weimans spray and a paper towel, and polish off with a microfiber.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe part of the problem is that you did not really want the SS to begin with so you will never be happy with them. (That would be me). You can try all the suggestions you are given as different things work for different people but you may just have to learn to live with it and hope it has an early demise.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nrsedebbiepink1:
hi all, my husband insisted on buying SS appliances. and i HATE them. i can't seem to keep them clean. i have tried the SS spray and SS wipes. i have tried mild detergent. they never seem to look nice. any ideas? thanks

If it were me I think I would let the Mister clean them. I know, easier said than done.

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My DH didn't get any input into what our appliances were! I have to use them and clean them, not him, so it was MY choice!

I have all white. I have never liked SS...neither the look nor the cleaning. All mine takes is a quick wipe with a damp rag & it's done! They do get a heavier cleaning at times as does the entire kitchen...but I don't use any special sprays or rags!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4310 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought stainless steel was supposed to be very easy to care for?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had heard that stainless was hard to keep clean and had planned to keep white appliances when my kitchen was remodeled last year. To my surprise, even though my kitchen is traditional, I did not like the look of white with the new cabinets and decided to get stainless. I find these appliances easier to keep clean for longer and don't miss cleaning (especially refrigerator door and handle) with a magic eraser.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I would no more want my husband to decide what goes into my kitchen than he would want me to decide what goes into his woodworking shop which I can guarantee you would not have been as expensive to setup if I had done it! Wink

I've never liked SS appliances myself. Husband does. But when we saw the 'against the grain swipe' on stepson's SS refrigerator that settled it for me.

We purchased a 2-year old house with all white appliances. We just needed a refrigerator. I chose one with a white easy-care finish. I am happy!

(So is husband with all his high-priced woodworking equipment. Wink )

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I was very apprehensive about starting to switch my appliances to stainless steel because I can spot a finger print or smudge a mile away and knew it would drive me crazy. When I found our newest fridge, which we bought in November, the stainless steel was just so pretty and sparkly I had to have it. I have to say I wasn't real keen about the results of cleaning it because it seemed too laborious for the poor results. Then we purchased a new stainless steel DW and a small sample packet of cleaner came with it. Now I love the stainless steel, it always looks beautiful and am so happy to have found this new product (to me). It's ELCO Stainless Steel Cleaner~ Polishes and cleans helps prevent fingerprints. It's a cream-like cleanser in a packet and available at Sears. You have to keep in mind, a soft cloth, WITH THE GRAIN! You'll love your stainless steel after using this.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.sears.com/elco-stai...&kispla=02240083000P

This is the product, I'm still using my sample, apparently it comes in these nice big bottles, should last a long time!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
DIL had a faux SS fridge and it looked horrible most of the time as every fingerprint showed up. I would never choose an appliance because it was the current rage when it requires constant upkeep. I am a happy classic white appliance homeowner. Smile

Posts: 18384 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
nrsedebbiepink1, I was reading a recent article about making your own household cleaning products and one of the recommendations was to use baby oil to clean SS. I haven't tried it yet but if you've tried everything else, maybe you could give it a try.

Just a suggestion~

Smile

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of anneyland
posted Hide Post
I don't have SS in my kitchen but I do clean home professionally...dislike SS with a passion.

Having any appliance in a kitchen that requires extra products, wiping and polishing is a strain to me. With all the cooking that goes on, why would I add more work to clean up than necessary.

I've never tried the baby oil but don't think I would add any layer of oil to my surfaces like that...it would attract more dirt in my opinion.

I have found the best way to clean like everyone has suggested, wipe with the grain. I use the Weissman wipes, then come behind with either microfiber cloth or dry cloth to buff....extra work...sheesh...but that's the only way to make them pretty.

Long live white appliances!! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord and He will give you the desires and secret petitions of your heart.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 922 | Location: Longing for the beach | Registered: Jan 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I use W-D 40 and wipe with a paper towel. It works well and is easy to do.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9324 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
I use W-D 40 and wipe with a paper towel. It works well and is easy to do.

Doesn't it smell? I used to use regular veg oil to clean a cooktop, but never WD-40! I have to agree with the OP...hate the stuff but the options don't appeal either.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have all white. I have never liked SS...neither the look nor the cleaning. All mine takes is a quick wipe with a damp rag & it's done!

ITA

Posts: 12140 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of siena
posted Hide Post
I love the look of SS appliances but have never had them. I have white and usually don't care for them but, every once in a while I come across a thread like this one that makes me think that white appliances aren't such a bad thing after all.

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Remember when SS appliances were the most expensive? Now, it's the white/black appliances that cost more. We were checking them out recently.

Posts: 5048 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer first off ~ I don't have SS appliances, mainly because every stainless steel small appliance I have ever owned (toasters, coffe makers, ect.) has driven me crazy with the many smudges, fingerprints and even a casual shove show - I can't keep them clean so store them below in kitchen cabinets - so I have never gave even a thought to having SS large appliances....

And, secondly, the house we bought came with all black (top of the line) new appliances in a beautiful custom-built cherrywood kitchen. Now, you have to understand, I used to love oak and this house was about as far away from the look I loved as possible. I remember our banker (a woman) telling me "that cherrywood would just have to become my new best favorite" and she was right! Smile

Took a while to let go of my oak wood/almond appliances idea but now I absolutely love the gleam of the cherrywood and the ease of keeping black appliances clean. So glad we didn't buy from someone who had bought into the SS appliance trend.

Some trends that look fantastic on TV can be a real pain to maintain ~ glad our sellers didn't fall for "being trendish" ~ and, yes, black appliances are a breeze to clean! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CA Lori
posted Hide Post
I do love the look of stainless steel appliances. But back in the 60's, I had a huge Admiral side-by-side Coppertone refrigerator--I was a slave to that refrigerator! Since then, I have purchased only almond or white appliances, which have been so much easier to care for.

IR, I would have thought that black appliances would be just as hard to care to. My friend put a black enamel sink in her bathroom. That sink only looks nice when she first cleans it and wipes it dry. I can relate to your comment about your small stainless steel appliances. When we were first married, I received a chrome cannister set for my wedding shower (you know, flour, sugar, etc.). I was always polishing those cannisters because they sat out on my counter. Didn't take me long to wise up and get Tupperware replacements, which I store in my cabinet!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CA Lori,

Posts: 5881 | Location: Calif. | Registered: Sep 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I put off getting stainless steel appliances because of the upkeep. But I like how they reflect the colors in the room; makes them blend in very well.

As for fingerprints, I've learned to live with them. Everyone I know with stainless steel has smudges, so nobody's judging! Big Grin

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CA Lori:

IR, I would have thought that black appliances would be just as hard to care to.

CA Lori, I would have thought so as well if I hadn't had to live with them and learn just how easy they are to maintain! For the record, I have a black oven with black microwave built in above, black hood range, black 2 door refrigerator, black dishwasher and black 4 burner stove top. With the exception of the stove top, the rest take almost no care at all ~ maybe a quick clean up once a week with a spray cleaner (even Windex works) or a wet sponge followed by a dry cloth.

I do have to say that the black stove top is more of a challenge ~ I'm still trying to find a quick and easy solution there ~ Simple Green is the best I have found so far but even that doesn't take much time so I'm happy to have them and not have to deal with the SS issue!

PS. My SS toaster and coffeemakers remain tucked away except when they are actively in use! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
LOVE my S/S appliances. Have had bisque/almond, black and white over the past 25 years and will never have them again.

My S/S appliances are sleek, reflective and easy to clean with the proper stainless steel cleaner. In my case, Affresh cleaner, as recommended by the appliance manufacturers.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my stainless steel appliances, but you do have to find the proper cleaner for you and the proper cloth to wipe the product on and off. It does add a really pretty reflection, a certain richness, in my opinion.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Twas lucky that I got over the refrigerator "magnet mess" years ago (my kids once used the magnetic plastic letters to make words, that was ok)...as that is another thing that can make permanent scratches on SS refrigerator fronts.

Good thing there are choices ladies.
But I do hear more people that have had and now dislike SS appliances than there were back a few years ago, (when the decorators & tv show real estate agents were so in love with them).

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My wiser sister told me she never buys when things first come out. She waits to hear the reviews first. We weren't in a place to purchase our own appliances which made it easier. It's the reviews from the bloggers that I read. Then, test on a smaller scale to see what is happening.
Don't limit yourself to grocers for cleaning supplies. My DH took us into a janitorial supply once. I thought only professionals could go in there. Big Grin Why I hadn't considered my house cleaning as professional up until then is beyond me. They DO have some cleaning materials that would help many of us. It's not a secret. It's just we limit ourselves from products that are quite suitable for our homes.
I have also discovered that there are organizations that will take old items and donate them to good causes. If you are changing your appliances, please consider this.

Posts: 5048 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some Idea to Clean Stainless Steel:
1. Routine cleaning can be able by using warm water and a cloth. This is the slightest risky option for cleaning stainless steel, and truthfully just simple water works to clean in most situations. Dry with a cloth or towel to stop water spots.
2. For cleaning those requirements more power, mild detergent and hot water can do a great job without destructive your stainless steel. A drop of meek dish detergent and hot water is often all you need to get tougher dirt off of your stainless steel.
3. Fingerprints are one of the major complaints about stainless steel, but can be taken concern of by using glass cleaner. Personally, I prefer glass cleaner. No matter what you decide to use, spray the cleaner on a microfiber cloth.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
After reading everyone's posts I wanted to mention a few things. Magnets will not stick to stainless steel, so if you have S/S appliances that magnets stick to...then it's not stainless steel. Windex will not clean S/S very well, I've been down that road. The best thing I've found is these wipes. Wipe with grain and follow through with paper towel. Takes less than 5 minutes. Last for about a week until my dogs noses get on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There are all types of stainless steel surfaces on refrigerators and other appliances. Depending on how much either chromium or iron is present in the ss, magnets will either stick or not stick. It is not just one or the other.

The other common use issue is marring or denting from something hitting the door accidentally.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. It's the addition of chromium and nickel that makes it non-magnetic and more resistant to corrosion.

From google:
"In general, the higher the proportion of chromium, the stronger the corrosion resistance of the steel. In addition to chromium, other metals are added to give the steel particular properties such as strength and malleability. Specifically nickel is used to strengthen the oxide layer
However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yep, forgot to mention the nickel. Additions or amounts of these other metals can create a shiney, reflective surface or a softer, more matte surface on the SS appliance too. This is why some appliances tend to visually color match better than others in different brand lines.