Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  cleaning hardwoods
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning hardwoods Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
What do you use to clean your hardwood floors? I've tried Bona, Orange Glo, Swiffer Wet, etc. Nothing seems to make them shiny clean, they always look dull. We have little ones and a dog, so suggestions with those things considered would be welcome! Thanks!

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Our floors a natural ash with a poly finish. I simply use a damp cloth and dry as I go. I have done this for 26 years.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello Everyone,
When I had wood floors I always used Murphy's Oil. Everyone would say you must really work hard to keep these floors looking like this. I would say uh uh, not me I use Murphy. I don't even know if they still sell that. But I loved the commercial where all the ladies were cleaning the church with Murphy's.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 989 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Murphy's oil soap is NOT a good thing to use on most wood floors now.
They are usually finished with a polyurethane, and the oil soap does nothing but leave a greasy haze on the finish which can degrade it after awhile, especially if you do not rinse it clean and dry afterward.

The fact that your floor is not shiney after cleaning, is no doubt more due to the finish gloss than what any cleaner can accomplish. A mild dilution of white vinegar in warm water and a towel to dry, will clean soils from the surface without leaving a residue. If you want more of a shine you may have to consider having the floor refinished with a glossier varnish.

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wheatey
posted Hide Post
We have a medium stained maple and the installer said to use Bruce cleaner. I vacuum first and then clean them with Bruce and a Quickie padded mop once a week and they look great. Had to do it every day when we had my son's dog because of shedding but it was still easy to maintain.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I use Bona and I also use a steam mop. If I'm out of Bona, I've used white vinegar and water. NEVER Murphy's -- my floor refinisher said that was NOT GOOD! I must admit that I thought my floors were clean until I got the steam mop . . . wow! Couldn't believe how "black" the mop head was!

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
The steam mop is great for wood floors and tile, I love it.

Posts: 904 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post