Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Curious- How did you come up with your moniker?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curious- How did you come up with your moniker? Sign In/Join 
posted
I'll start- Sandlance, in honor of my Dad and the submarine he served on in WWII. BTW, he was 6'4" - tall for that generation and if you ever saw the old subs- you would understand my amazement!

Posts: 475 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandlance, Fun new topic! Smile

I have had the opportunity to walk (crawl) through a submarine of that era while visiting the museum vessel "Scorpion B-427 Russian submarine" located next to the RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. I'm small - 5'2" and 105 lbs - and I felt like I barely could fit through the walkways; my dh is 5'11" and he was bent over and ducking throughout the tour.

Your Dad was a total hero to have served aboard such a vessel ~ especially being 6'4" ~ during such an important time in our history!

As for monikers/user names? I choose Idaho Resident because it was distinct ~ seems like very few people have ever met any one from here. Years ago, dh and I were taking a trip throughout the south and stopped to have lunch at a local restaurant in Kentucky. Our waitress was a gem (it was obvious that everyone else was a local) and when she learned that we were from Idaho, she said, "Listen up, ya'll, these folks are from Idaho ~ anyone ever met anyone from Idaho before?"

Well, before we knew it, we had met more friends in one day than ever before; people in Kentucky are really so gracious! And, then when we travel outside of the country, I carry an outline of the states within the United States and highlight Idaho with the following explanation:

"Yes, both of us are here right now but we always make sure that the other three are at home so there will be a quorum just in case anything comes up while we are gone...." Cool

Okay, everyone else, how did you come up with your names? Inquiring minds want to know! Razz

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idaho Resident,

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
My name came from a 4th grade student when I retired as a middle school librarian 6 years ago. The teachers had the children write good bye notes to me and one child said: "Hope you have a good time on your life vacation!". How appropriate was that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
My son helped me. I was trying to come up with a yahoo e-mail account. Everything had been taken. I didn't want to be sray2,033 and 1/2. He said, "You quilt and sew. And you think you're funny. How about keepyouinstitches?"

I use it for a few "monikers" too.

Posts: 16527 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What can I say? I was raised a Florida Farm Girl.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6225 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Idaho, your story reminds me of the time my mom, BF and myself, went on a Cape Cod vacation. My mom and I are from Boston, but my BF is from Washington D.C. Went to a little breakfast joint and had the nicest waitress, named Barbara, but looked liked Popyes's mother! Anyhow, I place my order, my mom does the same and Gary starts rattling off his order but is stopped mid-sentence, when Barbara, stops writing and looks him in the eye and says "You're not from Southie are you!?" My mom and I LOVED it- after 20 years of getting teased for R dropping when we talk.

Posts: 475 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
My name is Kathy, and I live in Wellsville, abbriveated "WLSV" in our local newspaper, radio and school info.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1510 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Junior High nick-name. Plus it has the added chuckle benefit of people on boards, assuming I am a guy. Wink

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
My first computer was new in 2000 when I discovered message boards and needed a user name in order to post. My favorite hobby was net-surfing = "nettie", and my first initial is "J" = "jay".

Posts: 4349 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll start- Sandlance, in honor of my Dad and the submarine he served on in WWII

I love this thread. Mine is because I love the poem of my user name. Esp the lines:

"Out flew the web and floated wide-
The mirror crack'd from side to side;"

Sandlance, my Dad too was in WW2. He enlisted in the navy when he was 39 and had six children from the ages of 16 to 3 months! Actually not the smartest thing he did but something he evidently wanted as he had tried to enlist in WW1 when he was 14!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 12190 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
My father was a WWII hero, so add me to that awe-inspired list of offspring!

My name is pretty simple. When I first joined HGTV, I only followed the garden boards so I just used my planting zone. Smile

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Fun topic!

When I first signed on, it was pretty much for the Trash to Treasure board. Most of you have seen the "junk" I collect, so there it is!

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My life. . . I told my husband the story of how you got your name and he was as charmed by it as I am!

Aren't kids wonderful?

Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
My life. . . I told my husband the story of how you got your name and he was as charmed by it as I am!

Aren't kids wonderful?

Absolutely!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
So fun to read this board!

My family nickname is Coco, and my middle name starts with K. I say my Moniker "coco-kay".

Not that inventive.

Posts: 7078 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who has two granddaughters; Coco and Poppy. I think they are the cutest names!

Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
Most of my "people" call me Ann, a shortenend version of my real name.

Once upon a time, when HGTV did not require registration, you just typed in any name you wanted, or it would show up "anonymous". Once they started requiring signing in, most of the posters didn't like it, so they made up names that were some version of "Anon". So I used my name...Ann on. I just never got around to changing it.Smile

Posts: 3544 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I love the style of a Spanish Revival home design, so I named myself that, but my real name is Cindy!

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I told this story before but will mention it again.

When we first got a computer, our neighbor came over to help set it up. He was using AOL so he set us up with it. It was free at the time. So the neighbor got my dh's screen name set up and dh set up mine later. He tried for Kittymom but it was already taken (neither one of us knew he could have added a number on the end). So, right at that moment, Charcoal jumped up on the table where we were so I said, try Charcoalsmom. Bingo.

I wasn't really familiar with message boards when I signed up here so when I registered, I thought I had to use the same name as I used for my computer.

I have learned a lot since then.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Fun thread!

May I add one more? This is "Beau" and I used to have lots of rose bushes in the garden.

Beau's Rose

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

pic

Posts: 9339 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ilvmicki2
posted Hide Post
Mine is because I love that mouse who resides in Florida. Iluvmickey was probably already gone. So Ilvmicki was close and that is how it became my moniker.

Posts: 935 | Location: kcmo | Registered: Feb 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sms are the initials of my maiden name and 29s is the airport code for a town with the same name and spelling of my married name. 66 is the year I graduated from high school.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy, I live on Long Island (LI) and Roe is short for my real name.

LI Roe

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
29s is the airport code for a town with the same name and

Hi SMS as I think I have said here I spent 6 years working for United Air Lines, (where I met my husband) I don't remember any airline city or airport code that wasn't just 3 letters, ORD, CHI, SFO, PDX, PDT JFK, LGA etc.

Amazingly even though that was 50 years ago you do not forget them!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

posted Hide Post
It's a small town with a little airport--Gardiner, Montana.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I love Ted Bundy.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is offensive.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
LOL...I think miss bundy is just trying to "get your goat" sms. That's like saying you love Charles Manson, well at least he's still alive.

SMH...it takes all kinds.

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo cuz I find it a funny word and deco related. I was formerly Fru Fru, but when registration became a requirement here, I had to change my spelling. My DH would say I AM a Frou Frou gal when it comes to decorating, but I beg to differ...at least in part. I do love cutwork of any kind (some lace, tassels, scrollwork, filigree, etc.), a few ebellishments, cherubs in some places, embossed things, some shabby chic or Victortain touches, but I don't go overboard. I don't do ruffles or lots of flowers either. In a man's eye, I guess I am froolicious, but trust me, I exercise restraint and always balance the feminine with the tailored. :-) Surely he's noticed that I drew the line on bangles and beads just for him. ;-)

Posts: 18407 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zone, have you ever had a friend who was m urdered? It might give you a different perspective.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
sms, as a matter of fact I had two that were in the 70's in Louisiana.

Why should my perspective be different? Confused

posted Hide Post
I find it distasteful to mkae light of serial kil lers. If you don't, so be it.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I wasn't making light of them....SMH means I was "shaking my head" at her post. She did it just to get a rise from people and she succeeded on you. Of course it's distasteful. Don't let silly people like that get you upset.

posted Hide Post
If decent people don't object to objectionable behavior, how are things to change?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, flboy I'm usually not that patient with rude or obnoxious people in person. I always stand up for the underdog which may get me in trouble.
But on a board like this, you can only guess why someone posts the things they do. There is nothing we can do to change or stop someone from posting ludicrous statements and trying to do so would be futile.
You either laugh at them or get angry. I prefer to laugh, I'm sure that's not the reaction they were goading for.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree and applaud you z9!
There are often so many statements that can be taken a variety of ways on any of these threads. I too prefer to assume the best in folks when in doubt, and if it cannot be interpreted that way....smile and just move on.Wink

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I don't have it in me to smile but just shake my head and move on.

Back in the 70's, my brother was picked up by John Wayne Gacy. By a miracle, my brother was able to escape. Of course, no one knew at the time about secret life Gacy had been living.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
You may be misinterpreting BabyDollBundy's post. If you check Spokeo, as I did, you will find 311 results for people named Ted Bundy living in the continental U.S.

http://www.spokeo.com/Ted+Bund...OnwbgCFaNxQgodLTUAmQ

My board name was an unintentional result. I kept entering board names when I registered and they were already taken. When I received yet another prompt to try again I started typing still trying out of frustration. I wasn't planning on actually choosing that as my board name. Because of computer glitch on this site it took what I was typing and accepted that as my board name. Which is why there isn't a "g" at the end of my board name.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Conrad and still tryin, I hope that Babydoll's DH is not really named Ted Bundy, cause we just blew her out of the water for nothing. oops!

Charcoalsmom...geez that is scary! I've been really close to a situation like that too....it affects you for a long time.

Still tryin....what a funny story, I never knew that about your board name. It sounds like one you would have willingly chose.

Picture of just josie
posted Hide Post
We used to have a Bassett Hound named Josie.....who was VERY naughty, a tad bit overweight and was always dressed up in human clothes, glasses, etc. by one of our kids.....anyway, whenever something in our house was either broken or eaten, and it wasn't supposed to have been, and when asked who did it....the kids always casually answered...Just Josie. Poor dog!

Posts: 1673 | Registered: Apr 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Miss Lensews2
posted Hide Post
I do pretty much everything & had just recently taken up "sewing" & loved it when I first registered. (still do)
The L.E.N. are my initials & I sometimes wonder if other board members think I am male, which I am not.

Posts: 5232 | Location: ~ if I'm not here...I wish I was. ~  | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We went on a tour a decade ago. You know, the kind they say, "You'll make lifelong friends as you see the sights". We laughed at the thought, but sure enough, we DID make lifelong friends with a wonderful family from Australia!

We've exchanged letters, emails & gifts with them since then. One treat they sent us was a delightful little candy bar, called TimTam bars. They're a lot like KitKat bars in the USA. So I chose my name in honor of our dear friends in Oz!

Posts: 610 | Registered: Sep 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
When I joined this message board, I was currently teaching gymnastics. It was my profession for 30 years...and I absolutely loved it! My body...not so much any more.

I had to retire a couple years ago and went 6 months thinking I would be fine at home. WRONG! I thought I would lose my mind!
Guess I'm the type who needs to be busy and stay social. So I finally picked up a little part-time job. Works for nowSmile

Funny story...When I first joined this message board, I didn't know the first thing about "flipping houses" nor had I even heard of doing it (at the time). You have no idea how many personal messages I receive asking me for advice about flipping. ~giggles~

Paula~ Smile

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post