Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  hard to keep shower door clean??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hard to keep shower door clean?? Sign In/Join 
Picture of gelato
posted
i am in the middle of renovating our main bathroom. It is not a big bathroom and it is used every day...I can't decide between a pretty shower curtain and shower doors. I am afraid I won't be able to keep up cleaning the doors.

Would love to get your thoughts. Just how difficult is it to keep shower doors clean. I have 2 children, 19 and 23 and they have already told me they are not going to squeege Frown Am i better off getting a curtain?

I would give up ice cream but I'm not a quitter.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Long Island, New York, Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Get a curtain you like, and an inexpensive liner to hang inside the shower. You can then just replace the liner once a year for 3-4 dollars and never have to clean it. Or you can get a heavier liner and take it down to wash (with a load of towels) if needed.

DH and I squeegee the glass as well as the shower walls after each shower with hard water, and we use liquid soap for no soap scum build up. But if you don't have cooperation from the users on the glass cleaning, I would just opt to make it easy on yourself.

Posts: 9664 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's really easy to keep the shower clean if you squeegee everyday. Have you thought about telling the kids no squeegee no usee.

Posts: 2297 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer shower doors to curtains. It is all personal preference.

How much of a cleanliness person are you? Does everything have to be spotless all the time or are you the clean it when it looks dirty?

My husband doesn't squeegee because he just doesn't think of it. I wipe the doors down on e every week or so. Take them off and lay flat to scrub (just because it is easier , not necessary) the soap scum off every couple of years. But I do not have clear doors. Mine are frosted/textured looking. I would suspect the clear would be difficult because every spot would show.

Posts: 7227 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
We keep a hand towel in the shower and give the door a quick wipe down each time we use the shower. It's faster and easier than the squeegee and we're more likely to do it.

Posts: 3631 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Things about doors you need to consider:

How hard is your water? Water with heavy mineral content is going to be a problem on glass doors. They'll have to be thoroughly cleaned much more often than they would with softer water.

Does the family favor bar soap over liquid body washes? Solid soap bonds to the minerals in the water and to body oils to make a stubborn film that's very hard to remove from glass.

I squeegee the shower panels, but it doesn't work so well on the doors which are made of glass with a 'hammered' texture. Because the surface isn't satin smooth, the squeegee misses too much. It's easier to wipe it down with a microfiber towel I keep in the shower just for that purpose. It only takes half a minute. DH refuses to do it, but I do. I figure drying them off 50% of the time is better than nothing.

If you're thinking of clear glass(instead of textured) doors, re-think it. Seriously. I can't fully imagine what a headache those would be.

All things considered, even though doors are a lot more maintenance than curtains, I'd still choose the doors. DH and I can't stand the way curtains are drawn in toward the body when the shower's running.

Posts: 4646 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
After having had to take down & rehang shower doors in several different places I've lived...I opt for a shower curtain & liner.
I wash even the cheap liners in my washing machine & add a little pine cleaner and it makes the whole house smell good.
And I wash my liner about every other month. If I notice anything on it between washes, I use a little Clorox clean up on it.
And an added bonus is the portion of the tub is covers stays a LOT cleaner too...so not as much tub to scrub!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5012 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gelato
posted Hide Post
thank you for your replies. You have given me much to think about.

We have hard water and I hate it!! We use bar soap Frown so there's 2 strikes right there.

Sis 2, If I do decide to go with doors I will tell the kids........no squeegie no shower!

I would give up ice cream but I'm not a quitter.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Long Island, New York, Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If your tub is not very wide, (but maybe parts of you are?) the bowed shower curtain rod gives a body more elbow room. (this helps keep the shower curtain from blowing in, but I have always bought the weighted at the bottom kind, so they hang pretty much straight down)

Posts: 9664 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a washable shower curtain will be your best option for the family.

BTW, I have heard that applying RainX to smooth glass shower doors reduces the need to squeegee or Windex as much. I also seem to recall my shower glass installer telling me that there are glass doors on the market that shed water due to a treatment, but of course, they are more expensive.

Also, I DO hope you insist that the young adults in your home periodically clean the floors and walls of the shower.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18734 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of company and they do not use the squeegee. I have just put up a shower curtain over the glass door and I open it when the company leaves.

html

Posts: 2528 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I have awful hardwater and occasionally spray some Scrb n Bubles on the glass; and let it sit til the next day's shower when I give it a bit of a rub down with a scrubby of some sort.

If adult 'kids' are still living rent free, they should be 'gently' reminded they need to help ole mom just a bit, for peet's sake! Wink

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rain x really does work. I need to put some more on mine.

Posts: 2297 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I prefer shower doors to a curtain. The shower in the master bath has doors. DH uses it exclusively but refuses to squeegee. I started using the shower in the tub in the guest bath with a shower curtain. I either squeegee the tub surround or wipe it down with a towel after every shower (unless it's a hurried quick shower).

I check the master bath once a week and give the commode and lavatory a cleaning and check the shower. It's cleaner now that it's just one person using it as opposed to when we both used it. It never dried and molded terribly. (Couldn't get DH to leave the door ajar for it to dry out.)

I can't tell him no squeegee no usee. But grown kids...whether they paid rent or not they would keep it clean. I am a mother...not a slave.

29 year old DS moved in for a few months prior to moving into our camper and then getting a job and moving the camper to an RV site near his job. He kept the guest bath clean, the guest bedroom clean, did his own laundry and ironing. AND helped with the cooking. I rather enjoyed it. Wink

Posts: 17278 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I use Daily Shower Cleaner in my shower. Not the automatic one. I use the spray bottle and spray all the surfaces manually. It works. It even removed the build-up that accumulated when DH was in charge of cleaning the shower.

I've used several brands. The only one that didn't work was the cheap stuff from the dollar store. They keep the price down by making it weaker.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sewandsew
posted Hide Post
I use the spray bottle too and squeegee the glass.

Every so often I mix up this secret potion that works great. You know those sponge/scrubbers that hold liquid soap? I mix equal amounts of liquid BLUE Dawn dishwasing detergent and vinegar in a measuring cup and warm--just warm--in the micro then pour into the scrubber. Lather up the shower and let it sit for a while. Then rinse well. It works great. Wish I could find a bigger scrubber.

Posts: 595 | Location: Home | Registered: Sep 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
I can't use vinegar on my glass shower doors due to the marble threshold and ledge. I was instructed to use ammonia free glass cleaner (Windex).

Posts: 18734 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rainex applied about every 4 to 6 weeks helps the water to bead up and not spot. We are both careful to squeegee every day and our doors look great.

Posts: 678 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I never found any benefit in Rain-X.

Posts: 4646 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
That was pretty much my experience, nettiejay. Maybe it matters more depending on the type of water supply?
The squeegee and liquid body wash made the most difference in keeping ours easy clean.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
gelato, if you are talking about a tub/shower then use a shower curtain. Glass doors make a tub unpleasant to use, and they are harder to clean than a shower curtain.

If you are talking about a stand alone shower you probably want a glass shower door, as that is a standard look. You could use a shower curtain in that case, but it is out of the ordinary, which can be risky. (looking)

Posts: 7256 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer shower doors because more than my dislike cleaning the doors is the feeling of when you are washing yourself and the curtain gets stuck to your leg, arm or other body part.

My college roommate and I shared an apartment in Los Angeles and we dedided that a shower cleaner and a scrubber would live in the shower. We would give it a little scrub every few showers and it worked out wonderfully. My showers didn't take any longer and there were something gratifying when I saw a dirty spot and could immediately scrub it away.

If you go with a curtain, go with the bowed curtain. SOOOOO much better than the normal ones.

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Method shower cleaner every day and squeegee down the doors and walls. I also use a Mr. Clean sponge once in a while and it takes off any of the gunk that accumulates. My glass doors were coated with something to repel water and dirt when I had them installed 5 years ago. Now I just use Rain x twice a year to keep them in good shape. I have a walk in shower that's 4 x 6 and I would never go back to a shower curtain.

Posts: 3235 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sis2:
It's really easy to keep the shower clean if you squeegee everyday. Have you thought about telling the kids no squeegee no usee.

This!!!

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many ways you can apply to keep clean your shower door clean, there are distinct liquid products through which you can clean the shower door clean, you can clean it by magic eraser, water, detergent, vinegar, shaving cream also works to clean shower doors.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Simple Green sprayed on shower door.
Use hand-held steam machine.
Does a beautiful job.

Paramount importance: wipe dry after every use!

Posts: 5954 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post