Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Do you have carpeting in your bedroom(s)?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have carpeting in your bedroom(s)? Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
If so, how do you clean under the bed, in the corners, under bureaus etc?

DH & I just spent an hour removing the rug and pad under my brass bed and the three bureaus that are in my room.

Gross, ugh, yick as kids would say. There also is a radiator that is hard to get in and behind. Also when I whirled around my bookcase/night stand it was filthy! Next part of job will be removing the books and giving that a thorough cleaning!

Posts: 12937 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My vacuum cleaner head and attachments reach under most of the furniture. I also use a long-handled duster to reach behind to get the baseboards.

When I get my "scrub bucket" filled up I go all through the house and wash doors, wood trim, light switches, etc. The bedroom is surely the dustiest place in the house. I try to keep after it so that it does not get too bad.

But, I totally understand what you mean!

Posts: 3229 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Know what you mean...but I tell ya; since I hurt my hip back in Feb., I'm hitting the 'high' spots and just can't worry too much about the rest. Just a fact of life with my back. Hubby says he'll help when I ask.

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have never moved my dresser...since 2004. I can only imagine how filthy the carpet is under it. We flip the mattress about every 2-3 months. I try to remember to flip the platform up once a year or so and vacuum under the bed.

When the carpet needs replaced I want to go with wood flooring. I could get a dust mop under all of the furniture.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
I clean under there when I can, but you could make a small investment in the furniture sliders. I can't move couches or beds without a set.

Posts: 3403 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
We have carpet in 2 out of 3 bedrooms...and wish we had gone hardwood throughout but at the time, we were trying to save some money.

In the extra bedroom, luckily it is only a full sized bed and very light so it's relatively easy to lift the entire thing up and go at it with the vac.

Regarding the dresser (ha), that hasn't been moved since we put it there!LOL

The nightstand is easier to move so I do it when I feel like it.

I had total shoulder replacement last January so honestly, I haven't been able to tackle some of the things that I normally would have.
I figure I have to pick my battles and priorities.

It will get done...eventually.Wink

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
We live in a vintage house and so all of our floor is hardwood but one thing I DID learn when I lived in a house with carpeting in the bedroom that no only is the carpet UNDER the bed a dust magnet that when the carpet is older and worn that piece under the bed is pristine!

I like the dust mop under the bed and every once in a while move the bed from the wall and get at the baseboard.

AND I don't use under the bed as storage either -- so I can dust under there (except for DD's box of wooden blocks)

Martha

Posts: 6219 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We flip the mattress about every 2-3 months

You know that is another thing with modern mattresses, not only can we not flip them (way too heavy) but even with the brass bed on casters, don't think we can move it.

The rug I had was a wool machine hooked rug I bought for my parents when I was 19 (one of two. . . can you imagine!) They were pretty rugs, but enough is enough! I am learning to let go!

My bed is out enough so I can, with a dust mop or such, clean behind the bed and now will be able to clean under it. I am not replacing the plastic storage container and the boxed vaporizer will go to the attic.

DH says not only will the room stay cleaner, it looks much larger!

And I've moved on to the food closet!

posted Hide Post
Some "modern" mattresses have to be flipped. We have a double pillow top queen and yes it is heavy! I want to replace it with a temperpedic-type mattress. Husband is not too sure.

But LOL we have been sleeping in separate rooms lately...at least since late last winter. When DH wakes me with his snoring...I stay awake listening or move to the couch. One night I thought...pffffttttt...and moved to the guest room. I just can't wake him up for him to change positions. If I snore...he wakes me up and tries to beat me back to sleep. Really REALLY ticks me off especially since I do not wake him. WHY? Why should both of us be awakened from a decent night's sleep?

Last winter he caught a cold. I moved to the other bed to try to keep from catching it. That usually works, but this time I did catch it, so I stayed in the guest room. THEN he recaught it so my stay lasted nearly a month. I LIKED IT and stayed there! It's a full-size bed. I sleep all over it! LOL Just about kills me when we have company or when we go visiting one of the kids or go on vacation. I miss a lot of good sleeping on those nights.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
No carpet anywhere here, but we do have large rugs. I use the extension rod on the vacuum to get under the beds and other furniture.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7531 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KeepYouInStitches:

Last winter he caught a cold. I moved to the other bed to try to keep from catching it. That usually works, but this time I did catch it, so I stayed in the guest room. THEN he recaught it so my stay lasted nearly a month. I LIKED IT and stayed there! It's a full-size bed. I sleep all over it! LOL Just about kills me when we have company or when we go visiting one of the kids or go on vacation. I miss a lot of good sleeping on those nights.

So similiar to me as well- the older I get the more I hear of separate sleeping arrangements. I love the getting in bed together and waking up together part, but all that in between stuff well some days I could take it or leave it.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I NEVER thought I would be in a different bed than my husband! We were gone 8 or 9 nights on vacation last week...slept in the same bed every night. First night at home, I'm across the hall and husband asks 'what's going on? I thought after vacation...' I asked him if he realized how much sleep I missed listening to him snore? No separate room to go read in except the bathroom. And, yes, I have done that before!

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
LOS,

We don't have any carpet in our home. Just tile or laminate floors. It does get dusty under the beds.

Sherry, I hear you about the noise level at night! Try adding a 90# doggie that snores too. I usually scurry across to the other bedroom when they both start in chorus!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9491 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So similiar to me as well- the older I get the more I hear of separate sleeping arrangements

We have had separate bdrms for about 20 years now. Mainly because of separate waking and going to bed times. DH like to go to bed at 10 & I like to turn my light out at 1. He gets up at 5 for his bkfst/reading, then back to bed till about 8. I get up usually at 8:30.

DH would never allow me to read in bed and I really love to read in bed. This works for us. What doesn't is staying with other people and having to share, when I can not read.

Only negative so far about no rug is that I need to climb on my foot stool to get into bed and it will skid on the bare floor. Have lots of small rugs though, runners and other small ones.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I really like a great quality w to w carpet in the bedroom, and will probably always opt for it.

One of our master's has a platform bed frame, and the dresser units also go all the way to the floor, so they do not get moved, nor any need to vacuum under them. The other has a bed on casters and maybe once a year it gets vacuumed under? There is just nothing much to vacuum there.

It is definitely a personal choice, but we will probably always have a large shedding dog or two, and I can deal with vacuuming pet hair once a week, but cannot handle the dust bunnies of hair that tend to collect/roll/blow on hardwood floors, often on a daily basis.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beau's Rose:
LOS,

Sherry, I hear you about the noise level at night! Try adding a 90# doggie that snores too. I usually scurry across to the other bedroom when they both start in chorus!

So focused on hubs sleeping issues, I forgot about our 70# golden retriever snoring loudly. Some nights it's a "symphony of snores", one on the floor beside me( dog of course) and hubby beside me.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I agree with you all that good health includes a decent nights sleep. Whether you are in the same bed, same bedroom or different rooms! (sometimes even different houses, Wink)

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have wall to wall carpeting in the bedrooms here. The house came that way. I do like having it.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before we had our waterbed, I used to "flip" the mattress now and then. On that day I would pull up the mattress and box springs....lean them against the wall or headboard, whichever, and then vacuum the floor under the bed. For monthly cleaning, I use my vacuum cleaner and the long "wand" and go under the water bed.

love life

Posts: 1556 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lady of shallot:
If so, how do you clean under the bed, in the corners, under bureaus etc?

DH & I just spent an hour removing the rug and pad under my brass bed and the three bureaus that are in my room.

Gross, ugh, yick as kids would say. There also is a radiator that is hard to get in and behind. Also when I whirled around my bookcase/night stand it was filthy! Next part of job will be removing the books and giving that a thorough cleaning!

I have carpet in our bedrooms and vacuum most of the dust from the baseboards and furniture with an attachment. About once every 3 months, I move the dresser and nightstands away from the walls and I take everything off the bed and push the mattress and boxspring to one side or the other and wipe off all the wood, bed slats, mattress side of foot board, mattress side of the side rails and headboard as best I can with Murphy's oil soap. I try not to store boxes under the beds because of the dust. It's surprising how much dust collects on bedroom furniture especially the back of dressers and nightstands. I have a feather duster that I spray with polish to clean the back of the furniture to remove dust.

LOS, My parents have multiple bookcases too, floor to ceiling, and I have been helping mama clean hers! What a job! It's been interesting though going through old Bibles, encyclopedias, picture albums, cookbooks, etc. from 75+ years. Their home is full of 4 generations of memories!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Georgia Peach I now feel that I am coming way too late to the cleaning party!

I have never in my life, cleaned bed slats or side rails (inner or outer) and here today I was just priding myself on how messy as we are, DH and I do have a fairly clean house, most of the time! I just realized I should amend that statement. If we were moving a bed or such and I noticed dust on the bed slats I would dust them! Now if I wanted to it would be impossible with the weight of my mattress. I have to ask DH to put the fitted bottom sheets on as it takes too long to stuff all that extra fabric under and the weight of the mattress is too heavy.

I only just recently learned that since I keep my books at the front edge of the book shelves it is easy to take a lambs wool or such duster and run it from front to back along the tops of the books and let it fall to the back of the shelf. Then when the spirit moves me just remove five or six books at a time and clean that dust up!

I would love to see your parents home, four generations is really something!

Although I have items from as far back as my Great grandparents, our house has only known three. And remarkably for a house that is now 107 years ours are the first grandchildren who have been associated with this house.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
And we would love to have you come visit Smile

Actually if you count my granddaughter the house is now watching over the 5th generation!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have to count your DGD! What a wonderful history!

I think my grands are so lucky because not only do they have both sets of grandparents still, but those grandparents all live in the same houses their parents grew up in!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
We have hardwood in our bedroom. We didn't always, we used to have carpet, but with my husbands allergies we had to completely renovate bedroom, closets and bathroom to smooth surfaces for easy dusting and clean up. I definitely love it so much better. My eventual goal is to have no carpet anywhere!!

Posts: 999 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are lucky to have the original wood floors in our house. Maple upstairs and oak down with pine in kitchen and old pantry area. (guess that is soft wood!)

I did have to put a throw rug near my bed as I have to use a stool to get into bed and it was skittering on the floor!