Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning Gold Jewelry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Gold Jewelry Sign In/Join 
posted
A really good method for cleaning gold is to mix Detergent with Ammonia in a bowl of warm water. Drop all your gold in, give it a bit of a stir, and for rings that a really dirty use a soft toothbrush and clean under the claws and around the stones, rinse in cold clean water, it will come out like new!

Posts: 10 | Location: Killeen | Registered: Aug 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
ADVERTISING AND BAD ADVICE!

No dilution amounts mentioned, soaking in strong ammonia will permanently damage many softer gem stones and pearls. Dilute with 6 parts water or it can actually melt thin gold prongs.

Posts: 9461 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
And after the ammonia soak, scrubbing with even a soft toothbrush can leave marks in 14k gold.

Posts: 16602 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Just another advertiser having fun. You'd think by now that they'd have a clue how we regulars are wise to their methods. Shameless! Go away violators!!!

Posts: 18496 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I use only the jewelry cleaner. I think it was Joan Rivers that once said "tooth paste cleans your diamond ring". I always used toothpaste to shine my engagement ring!

Posts: 2291 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've actually started using just regular cleaner, whatever I have on hand like a spray bottle with diluted Lysol or Mr. Clean or Dr. Bronners. I've heard about toothpaste and my best friend and I used the diluted ammonia thing when we were younger.

Advertisers, go away. But I like the subject of jewelry.

Posts: 6057 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post