Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Need a new Dishwasher
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new Dishwasher Sign In/Join 
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted
I need a new dishwasher, the Maytag I have now is in fairly good condition, however I see it's not drying as well as it once did, the tines are breaking off and there are no new shelves available to order from Maytag, I think it's about 13 years old or so.
My wish list is: it's quiet: that it dries well, even plastics: large capacity interior, that's about it... I'm sorry, I'm not too concerned with energy efficiency as it's only my husband and I and usually only run it 3-4 times a week. Holidays are a different story... All suggestions are welcome!!

Posts: 1022 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Son and I both have new Whirlpool dishwashers and they do a good job. I use the gel tabs for washing and glasses come out sparkling..

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have a GE Profile that was installed about October 2002 when the house was built. Husband has had to make a couple of minor repairs - but it is quiet running even with an open houseplan.

I do not run the dry cycle - when the DWer stops, I crack the door open and the escaping heat takes the moisture away.

Posts: 17370 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't ever run the dry cycle on mine either. It's easier on especially the plastics for them to air dry...they will last a lot longer. It doesn't take that long for them to air dry.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5112 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to replace my Whirlpool in August (cracked tub). I got a Bosch Ascenta. A little more pricey, but I'm pretty happy with it. It's quiet and has a sanitizing setting. No issues with drying.

As a practice, I don't wash plastics in the dishwasher, I hand wash them. Except a couple of tumblers I use at work for my water. Glassware, dishes, table knives, forks and spoons.

My only complaint is that I don't really like how the racks are set up, but I can live with it.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a ge adora model last august and also the ge adora fridge from home depot and love it .I cleans great and washes the dishes completely .I had the dish drawers before this and hated them ,they just never seemed to get the dishes cleaned and tried every kind of dish detergent out there .I got home depots extended warranty also .I also bought the lg double oven range and after lg tried to fix it 5 times home depot stood behind and made them replace it and I got the frigidaire double oven range .I like the lg chimes and flashing oven light that told you when ovens got to temp though .I loved the one I had in NJ also and it was the asko asea .I did have a kenmore and that had 3 wash arms but did not clean the dishes right and also the filter was hard to take apart and clean

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
have had a kitchenaid for almost 7 years and love it. It has a stainless steel interior which helps keep the water hot and faster drying if I air dry them. I just have to remember to open the door and let the steam out to air dry. There is no "air dry" option. Kitchenaid has a reason, but can't remember what it was. Smile

Posts: 4621 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We installed a Bosch in 2006 when we had new cabinets put in. I love it. It is very quiet.

Our older dishwasher worked fine, but it sounded like a freight train so it couldn't be turned on if anyone was in the kitchen or living room because you couldn't carry on a conversation over it.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Love my Whirlpool Quiet partner II. Median price range, quiet. No need to rinse the dishes before putting them in- just scrape good. The only exception being casserole dishes with baked on goo.

You can use those expensive soap pods if you like, but I use plain old Cascade powder and it cleans great for less than half the cost of the pods.

I'm beginning the third year of having it and highly reccommend it.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Whatever you choose, I would opt for the stainless steel interior models of any brand.
The door and hinges tend to be so much more rigid and strong than on just the plastic, and no staining of interior white plastic. Check it out in the store, open and close both types and try to wiggle the doors?

Also three spray arms are a must for good cleaning/rinsing. (One on ceiling of unit, one middle and another at the bottom.)

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I agree that a stainless interior is important. Another feature I insist on is nylon racks. The ones coated with that rubbery paint-like stuff will start rusting long before the machine quits. Usually, the mid-priced and up machines have this kind of rack.

I also think most modern machines are going to be much quieter than any 10-y.o. or older machine you're replacing. You don't have to spend a designer price to get that.

Posts: 4683 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have GE dishwasher, in fact I have all my home appliances from GE and got quite good experience of it in durability and performance, and functions as well.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
What ever the brand name (we have a lower end GE in our second home, still runs...but I cannot wait till we can replace it)... as nettiejay said, I would also opt for midprice machine (SS interior will probably get you to that range). Probably not the highest nor certainly the lowest price model, for the best features and options that will make it a longer lasting appliance, at the best price.Wink

Our local appliance repair guy (whom we very seldom have had out, btw) has been a great adviser on what current brands/models to stay away from..due to customer satisfaction and repair issues. He repairs nearly all brands and has never steered us wrong on selection. Perhaps you could call a few local guys and ask them?

Posts: 9678 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to learn that many dishwashers, even some top of the line brands, don't have a food grinder/disposal. The owner is expected rinse the food particles out of a filter (ewwww!). Something to keep in mind as you appliance shop!

Posts: 8201 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Guess it can depend on your practices when loading, Jewel?
We always scrape plates of any large food particles prior to loading (our dogs would be very disappointed if not) Wink, but also do not "prewash" anything clean. Never had to clean the drain filter on any of ours?

Picture of Jewel
posted Hide Post
I do/did the same as you Conrad, but learned that not rinsing the filter of the food particles was why my previous dishwasher started not to clean very well.

Posts: 8201 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your suggestions!! I got a lot of information and decided on the Kenmore Elite, it's quiet, has a one hour cycle time option that cleans and dries in one hour and it really does work great! Thanks for taking the time to post on my topic!!

Posts: 1022 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Gee, a quick scan and no one mentioned the safety tray beneath the machine as offered by Bosch. 1/8" inch of water in the tray and that machine shuts off.
Silent, unknown leaks/drips can cost new cabinetry. That's why we bought Bosch in 2006; laminate flooring.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by M-ma:
Gee, a quick scan and no one mentioned the safety tray beneath the machine as offered by Bosch. 1/8" inch of water in the tray and that machine shuts off.
Silent, unknown leaks/drips can cost new cabinetry. That's why we bought Bosch in 2006; laminate flooring.[/QUOTE,

Very good point M-ma, I have tile so a leak wouldn't be too much of a problem for me, but those with wood and laminate would definitely find that a problem. If only we could find a machine that would incorporate the best of every machine!... Utopia!!, in dishwashers anyway Wink

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
The problem is the flooring but it's also the constant moisture on the cabinetry sub-structure. In time that will rot.
I do know of a person who had to have all new cabinetry because of a dishwasher leak. That's expensive.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jo-CT
posted Hide Post
You may have purchased already, but I would suggest a BOSCH. I've been hoping mine would need replacing so I can remodel my kitchen with ss! I just won't die!!!! I've had one service call for it, and it was my own fault. I broke a dish, and a chip got lodged in the waste pipe. The serviceman showed me what to do so I can fix it myself next time. It's large, it's quiet, and plastic doesn't melt. Love it, but I want a new one!!!!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Southwestern, CT | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jo-CT, I was leaning heavily towards the Bosch b/c I know a lot of people like them and rave about how quiet they are. Only thing I didn't like about them is they don't have a heating element and the dishes can come out wet, especially plastics which I always put in the DW. I was exactly like you, my Maytag wouldn't die and I wanted to change all my appliances over to SS (which I absolutely love the look of), so very unlike me, my husband and I decided to just donate our old Maytag and buy new a new DW, I went with the Kenmore Elite, it's quiet... 46db... and has a one hour total clean and dry option. Also, I can put a baked on lasagna pan in there and it comes out perfectly clean when using the Turbo option. I really love it and now my kitchen is all Stainless Steel! Thanks for your suggestion!

posted Hide Post
Congratuations on your new dishwasher. I do know there is a difference in dishwasher detergent. In the same city where I live, my dishes get cleaner abd sparkle with Finish Gel Caps, my son uses Cascade pods and my DIL uses Walmart brand. I tried all different detergents and Finish is better for my area of the city. May cost a little more, but with the two of us, I don't have that many dishes to wash.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May, I use the Finish also. I've just started to use the Jet Dry too b/c "I've heard" it helps boost the cleaning power of the detergent, and I know a lot of people may disagree, but I think it does make a difference. For 28 years of having a DW I never used any kind of Jet Dry product but I do see a difference with it, the glasses, silverware and dishes are very sparkly!

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We have a KitchenAid. We've only had it for a year and LOVED it! However, we believe we live in an area with hard water. It's obvious this is causing problems. The water is not coming into our KitchenAid, so I'm washing dishes by hand until the problem is corrected.
As to a Bosch....Oh my! If we had known the quality of their products, as we do now with their mixer, we would've gone with Bosch appliances.
But again...can't fault appliances when it could be the water. I'm thankful we have the water filters in our refrigerator and counter top. Can only imagine what is being trapped!

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean about Jet Dry making a difference....my gel caps (Finish) have the jet dry in it and does a real good job.

My DIL has very hard water in her area of the city and has trouble with the holes in the water arms clogging up. I think she uses the dishwasher cleaner that you buy....not sure of the name. My dishwasher instructions say to put two cups of white vinegar in a dish and set it in the bottom rack....then run the dishwasher through a cycle (without dishes). This will take care of the "crud" that water leaves behind. Do this only when needed....instructions say not too do it too often...I probably do this every 3 months or so..

love life

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Thanks, May.

Water doesn't enter the dishwasher. I seriously believe the intake hose may have build up. So....putting something like Jet Dry will have no result if there's no water. Right?

Getting someone in to correct this problem will solve the problem and keep me from sighing. I seriously think I'm just not suppose to have a dw...just washing dishes in the sink. Getting back to basics. Smile

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
UPDATE out of frustration and speaking with another couple while getting a NEW dishwasher.

I read that we had our Kitchenaid DW for one year. I was appreciative of the low noise, how clean the dishes were, the very HIGH temps to keep our dishes CLEAN!

This is what we don't like: the plastic pieces on the top rack getting into the motor of the dw according to the plumber. He said the top rack had pieces breaking off and falling into the motor. Last evening, the top rack fell backwards. The wheels inside the metal frame broke off. It costs over 100 for a new top rack. However, the plastic wheel is still going within the frame.

Today, we went to the appliance store. We visited with another couple who had had their dw for 3 years. We discussed our frustrations of our not so old dishwashers. We continued opening EVERY dishwasher in the store. We believe there are a few that may NOT have the problems we encountered. However, if the manufacturers don't make the necessary changes to the plastic wheels with plastic connections - Buyers are NOT going to be happy.

It was advised that paying the additional cost of warranty may be the way to go. This means the company is going to be replacing MANY dishwashers and how economical is this for consumers/manufacturers?

posted Hide Post
Trish...sounds like you have found your problem is. When the installer came out to put in our new dishwasher (old one leaked), he found the shutoff valve under the sink was not opening all the way....so not enough water was going into the dishwasher....he put a new one on and works perfectly. Shut off wasn't plugged with lime,just wouldn't open all the way when you turned the screw handle.

love life

posted Hide Post
I have an Asko. Much better than the last Kitchenaid and has a stainless steel inside which is so much better. Adjustable shelves make cleaning many items a breeze.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My Hero.....my DIY Husband.

He repaired our dishwasher!!!!!

To get a new rack for a dw that is less than 2 years old cost 125.00 A new dw cost 584.00 that we were looking to purchase. Our dw when first purchased was 800.00.

And he used nuts, bolts, washers total cost $1.00.

No more wobbly top rack...and I know the hot water isn't going to melt the plastic pins. Whew!

As MIL says (who still owns a 40 yr old dw), "They don't make them like they used to."

posted Hide Post
It's so nice to have a handy husband!

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
BEING AWARE.

Our disposal just went out. DH replaced it. We now have discovered our dishwasher is doing an even better job at getting our dishes clean. I think this needs to be brought up when someone is considering a dishwasher. If the disposal doesn't clear out completely, there is residuals that may come back into the DW. Then, the DW gets the blame.

We are pleased to have discovered this little piece of info and will just share it with others.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
That..... and ALWAYS make sure to run the disposal, prior to starting the dishwasher, in order to flush any residue out of the drain line.