Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  multiple vacuum cleaners??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

multiple vacuum cleaners?? Sign In/Join 
posted
My vac is a bagless Hoover (I think?) and it weighs a ton... oh, and bought it at a yard sale for cheap. Works fine.

SO recently I think I'm subconsciously trying to K ILL myself... NOT REALLY, moderators! Over Memorial day weekend, took a mis-step and fell. I really thought I might have broken and even went to ER. Just BAD contusions... told easily 8-10 weeks till back to normal. Housework just fell by the wayside.

Then, right after school let out on 6/20, I TOTALLY blew out my back moving a heavy house plant. One of those things that just takes time and Motrin. Was VERY uncomfortable for at leats 10 days. Starting to feel better, cuz just couldn't look at the "cat farm" (clumps of cat hair) on carpeting!

Was able to SLOWLY and CAREFULLY move vac up about 5-6 stairs into living room. It's gonna stay there hidden behind a folding screen.

Found another vac today at a thrift store today for $10... a dirt devil something. Now it's all the way upstairs in bedroom. It's gonna live in a closet.

Luckily have a small hand-held DD something to do stairs.

Do you have more than one vac?

Posts: 5664 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm embarrassed to say that I have four vacuum cleaners, two upstairs and two downstairs. One is a very old Hoover upright that takes bags, but I love the way the attachments work for cleaning draperies and upholstery. Another is a battery operated stick vac that I use mostly to keep the crumbs off the kitchen floor. The other two are bagless, one upright and one canister. Those are the main ones I use to vacuum the floor, but they are too heavy to carry up and down stairs, so one lives on each floor.

Posts: 2049 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey. If I come across another one in really nice shape (like one I found today) for cheap, I'll get a 3rd one and have one on all three levels of my split-level house! I can finda space in hall closet to hide it.

Posts: 5664 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I keep one vacuum upstairs and another one downstairs, and I have a hand held for the stairs. I also keep a small dustbuster in my bathroom that I do the floor with every day after I blow dry my hair. I think it is practical to keep a vacuum close at hand, and I certainly don't want to have to lug one up and down stairs from floor to floor.

Posts: 7284 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
2 stand-up vaccums, one heavy, one light-weight and two hand-held vacuums. (one is broken so bought a new one)

Posts: 2558 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Why not? We're on one level so I only need one for the house, but I have an old bag style vac in the garage that I use for a number of cleanups (car, garage floor, outdoor/thresholds) as I wouldn't want to use the newer vac on the dirtier jobs.

Also plan on buying a small shop vac some time soon. Something compact and easier to carry than lugging around a large upright or unreliable dust buster.

Posts: 3506 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have a one level house with carpet in only two rooms so have only one vacuum, a Kenmore canister.

DH has a shop vac in the shop.

Posts: 17431 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I was going to reply, one upstairs and one down but junk collector reminded me that I have one in the garage for the cars. Still works 40 years later!

piney

Posts: 3245 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Dyson girl here. I have 2 Dyson ball vacuums, and a Dyson rechargeable hand vac. Also a virgin (unused) shop vac, just in case of a water or mess to clean up. (so far it has been lucky to remain a virgin)Wink

Posts: 9681 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
We have three vacuums.

The first is our original canister. Loved it. Got old and it was hard to handle. DH still uses it. It's nice, but I can't use it.

Got a lightweight upright. I use it for everyday.

Then, I also have a battery Dyson to use for baseboads and other attachments.

My everyday came with them, but it's too complicated to use them. And, the canister attachments are too heavy because of the canister.

The Husband thought I was nuts until HE started using them all for the various things. Now HE likes the ease of them.

The right tool for the job.

Posts: 4634 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One upstairs ,one downstairs- got it when mom moved in and have an Oreck inherited from my aunt- don't use'cause I'm too cheap toby Oreck bags!! Also have ashopvacwhentoo many weeks go by w/o vacuuming!
Forgot abou using a handheld for stairs- great idea!

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
This is one of the reasons we built our house at one level!
I have a Dyson, a light weight shop vac for vehicles, and a hand vac for quick cleanups.

ETA...we have an old upright Dirt Devil for the cottage and DH has at least 2 shop vacs since we have a lot of work areas....no garage, just a carport.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5141 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Dyson girl too! Got the animal with the purple ball and still have my old Hoover for cleaning the car. DH has two big ShopVacs, I swear they can probably suck the paint off the walls! LOL!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7577 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So glad to hear there are others out there just like me. I have 3 and a couple of hand held ones too! Just saw a Dyson wand at Costco and am thinking of that one too. I need the Dyson Animal for all the dog hair. I use a Hoover for upstairs floors. My Shop Vac I use to pick up all kinds of stuff that we bring in from the outside, mulch, grass, etc. and to clean up messes in the basement.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post