Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning Black Mold
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Black Mold Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I have no money to use to hire a mold remediation service. Is there a safe, effective way to do it myself?

Posts: 595 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weakest,
I know you are doing your best to remedy this situation of your aunts, but be so careful. Based on what you have said in earlier posts the mold sounds extensive and any remedy by you could be potentially harmful and damaging to your lungs. Wearing a respirator would be the first thing I would do when stepping in the area. Also, is the source causing the water damage fixed so if your cleanup gets rid of the mold it won't happen again? I truly wish you could just walk away from the messy situation.

Posts: 3131 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to read this article on how to identify and remove mold.
http://www.familyhandyman.com/...remove-mold/View-All

Posts: 7049 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
Before someone suggests bleach, I was told by a guy who works for a remediation company that the idea that bleach kills mold is a myth, it simply turns it white. You need a product specially made for destroying mold. It's expensive. You may want to reconsider hiring someone to do the job.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weakestlink:
I have no money to use to hire a mold remediation service. Is there a safe, effective way to do it myself?

No.

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I find it strange that bleach won't kill mold according to someone wanting to sell products & services.
After floods & other weather events that produce lots of rain/moisture, residents are always advised to use bleach to get rid of & prevent further mold.

http://www.startrightstarthere...mold_from_walls.aspx

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzd0bz828nk

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4866 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
weakestlink, Lot of posts from many posters but no response back from you? Please let us know how things are going....

To be honest, I'm not even sure if you have seen them ~ you have four active threads going on right now ~ and haven't posted back on one of them. Think everyone is trying their best to offer advice and helpful suggestions. Please let us know if you are still here.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
IR, I have been thinking the same thing. I'm sure she must be feeling overwhelmed at this. But several of us have posted what we think to be helpful information and she has not come back to answer our questions or to respond.

I haven't said anything because I didn't want her to think I am being mean, but I would at least think if she is going to solicit advice she might respond to our posts in all her threads.

I for one wonder why she is feeling so obligated to handle this situation when she has not been given the rescources to do so, yet she has not answered that. Confused

I realize it isn't any of our business, but we cared enough to advise her and offer support, yet nothing from her...

Posts: 3269 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Sorry about nor getting back sooner. I've just been overwhelmed with dealing with my aunt's estate. Thanks to everyone that responded. It looks like I have a tough situation on my hands.

Posts: 595 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your problem, weakestlink. In viewing many of the home improvements who have the black mold...it is completely removed - not just cleaned. Having lived through this type of environment in my past and not having to deal with it any longer....what a difference good air is!

Posts: 5190 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Weakestlink, understanding that you have a burden on your hands. However, if you could find the time to come and respond to the questions we ask you, it could make a difference in the advice we give you, and how helpful it is.

I will tell you this, even though you might think MYOB, Just from what you have told us, it sounds as if the drs/hospitals/creditors might end up putting leins on the property for unpaid bills. If that is the case, I would do nothing other than remove personal items I or other family members might want. They will sell the property to get their money from it, therefore it isn't going to serve any purpose for you to clean this mess up for them.You shouldn't put yourself through this if that is the case.

As for black mold- now mind you, this was the late 60s and we didn't know any better then. we moved into a house(central FL) that was built from concrete cinderblocks. There was no other interior wall. The outside walls of the 2 bedrooms would sweat terribly in the winter and mildew(or so we called it) grew on them. A couple times a year, daddy would put bleach in a pail, take a paintbrush and paint the bleach over the mildew. It disappeared like magic.

A cheap fix until a few years laer the problem was properly fixed.

I know it wasn't safe, but we were careful and I'm throwing it out there FWIW.

Posts: 3269 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a quick google search. I remembered seeing something on this old house about someone whose house survived Katrina. I would start by wearing a quality mask. Then you could tear out the damaged area to the studs. This is what they did after they got down to the studs, from the article;

sprayed the wood with MDF-500, an EPA-­approved biocide that would kill any bacteria that might have been brought in by the flood. Later, an exterminator sprayed the wood with Bora-Care with Mold-Care, a borate solution that fights mold and protects against termites, ­carpenter ants, and wood rot.

I know these products will cost you money and if you don't have any money you are very limited. Will insurance cover it?

Good luck.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
When I had the problem in my last apartment a guy from the board of health told me to use Lysol,he said the same thing that was already mentioned that bleach only turns the mold white. Good luck

It did work for me but I moved out anyway since the landlord was a slumlord Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JasminesMom,

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
A man made an offer to buy my aunt's house and he said the only remedy for the mold is to remove the affected dry wall and replace it.

Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
He is right about that, BUT the issue still needs to be addressed, as to where there is a water leak. I wouldn't sell until I spoke to a few other people, the damage may not be as bad as you think. Have you had anyone from the board of health check it out for you? I know sometime they will check it out for free.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you turn away this buyer who made the offer, are you prepared to find the reason for the water and fix it, then replace drywall and anything else affected by the mold( all at your expense of course)?? Then finding a new buyer?? Make sure if you go along with this buyer that its written that he's buying a home with mold and water in "as is" condition. Don't know if you have to have a disclosure statement in your state, but if so, sign disclosure with statement that you never lived in house and have no knowledge of anything or its condition.

Posts: 3131 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weakestlink:
A man made an offer to buy my aunt's house and he said the only remedy for the mold is to remove the affected dry wall and replace it.

Take the offer and run all the way to the bank! Cool

posted Hide Post
I've seen on holmes show when they get down to the bare studs they bring in a dry ice blaster.
It's a non-toxic way to kill the mold and bring the wood back to new looking. No moisture to clean up. They use a hepa vac afterwards.
(also they tarp off the area use a fan blowing out the window to create negative air pressure and keep the mold from spreading in the house during removal.) I don't know if dry ice blasters are available to rent. Maybe in large metro areas.
If removing in a more low tech way be sure to dampen it with a spray to keep it from blowing around when removing it. You need to wear protective mask, eye protection and clothing to cover your skin to prevent exposure to the mold your removing.
Bleach is not supposed to be effective, but I've read that Borax in water is.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: llazy1,

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kpoohbare
posted Hide Post
Vinegar.
Wash down the walls in straight vinegar & a scrub brush, and wipe off wih a rag, easiest way is to do in small sections or with 2 people, then let it dry, then coat the walls in straight bleach. Be sure to have ALOT of ventilation with the bleach..fans, open windows, etc..
My Daughter & I did this in a unused back bedroom with just plain bleach & scrub brush, then washed it down again & let it dry, you can buy mold resistent paint at WalMart fairly cheap too..Thats how we found out about the vinegar lol
Good luck!!

***** May Love & Laughter Lead Your Way *****

Posts: 1626 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jul 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read on-line at a certified site
that the cheapest sold-in-a store- product that will really KILL MOLD is LYSOL.

There's something in it that will kill mold!

It stinks (smell is not great) BUT IT WORKS!

YOU BUY IT CONCENTRATED--but USE A MASK!

Posts: 1710 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding dry ice blasters.. i may try out a low-tech diy version of a dry ice blaster.. using my kirby sprayer attachment to my upright kirby vacuume.

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a mask and some MDF-500 problem solved!

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any business person cheating on the rules of a message board is sure to cheat their customers.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post