Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Can You Wash Stuffed Animals?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can You Wash Stuffed Animals? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
My DD is going through her closet and has a bunch of old toys, dolls & stuffed animals to give away. Can stuffed animals be washed? I never did it before and was going to wash it on "delicate" in the machine for a short amount of time. Anyone wash stuffed animals? Thanks!
(There are NO bed bugs in them).

Posts: 2531 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have done it many times. But it does depend on the stuffing (usually poly, no problem), and whether the eyes, nose, etc are glued on or sewed/otherwise mechanically fastened. Floppy ones are often the most successfully washed and dried. If they are such that they stand or are posed in a stiff manner, washing may cause issues.

Surface cleaning with a steamer can also work if there are just a few spots.

Honestly, I would look them over carefully, and decide if it is worth it for your time/effort. Often I have seen that they tend to be thrown into a free or cheap box at a garage sale and people buy them for their dogs.Frown

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I washed all that we kept. Who wants their kids to play with yucky toys? Even if it does not work, you have nothing to lose. For me it meant it was either going to be washed or thrown out.

I even washed one that played music. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it still worked after the machine washing. I washed them in the machine on a gentle cycle, and hung them up to dry.

Posts: 3239 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Oh to add a note, this can be one instance where if you have a front loader, so much the better? Less chance of soaking any internal parts, as less water is absorbed into the innards.

Posts: 9670 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My DIL washes her children's stuffed toys....even pillows by putting them in a pillowcase, tying the ends of the pillowcase and popping them in the washer on delicate wash....Some she puts in the dryer (depending on the parts) and some she lets air dry. She has a front loader.

love life

Posts: 1563 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
When our DS was small,I machine washed his beloved Pooh bear many times. BTW, he had childhood asthma making this a MUST. Pooh even underwent several emergency surgeries as he was so loved. Gentle cycle and low heat or air dry.

Posts: 18740 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Teddy Beddy Bear has survived many washings and drying, bless his little heart. He went everywhere DS3 went, even smug gled to school in his backpack. When I pulled him out of storage to wash for DS's little boy, I pr@yed he would make it through one more wash, and he did, good as new!

Like the others say, the more lightweight the stuffing is, the better they will come through the washer/dryer.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so much for your replies. I decided to go with the first poster's comment. I decided not to wash them. They aren't that dirty and I am donating them to a co-workers relatives. If they want to, they can wash them either by hand or machine if they so choose. I also plan on donating lots of my DD's outgrown clothing as well. I don't really want to spend the time and money to wash these things. They can be hand washed if desired too.
THANKS!!!!

Posts: 2531 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
I have washed sturdy plush toys...and have put legos in a secure mesh bag, and in the dishwasher...

Posts: 8567 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anna Crowe
posted Hide Post
Oh yea I've washed them many times on delicate and everything works out fine. I usually air dry them or only dry them for a little bit on low heat then set them out to air dry.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I washed all my babies toys, and I had seven! Not only that I wash all my animals toys too, and recently tried washing our goose down pillows and they turn out wonderfully too! The only one BIG mistake I made was to wash a linen pair of pants that were lined... and I was new to the scene of doing such things... the linen shrunk up and the lining hung down to my ankles!! Yeah, it was pretty bad.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spanish revival- did the same thing to a suit jacket- liner was rayon I think

Posts: 503 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Decision made.

Just to add a further comment, see above: I steam stuffed and other toys before giving away.
Safety measure.

Pillow cases are fine for most stuffed.

To dry I clothes-pin by ears/tail to clothes line (umbrellas type) and let drip dry and let the sun heat them.

Posts: 5959 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post