Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Dishwashing Liquid for House Cleaning?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dishwashing Liquid for House Cleaning? Sign In/Join 
posted
I am just wondering about using diluted dishwashing liquid soap as a general cleaner for the entire house. What do you guys think of that idea? It would be non-toxic, wouldn't it? So instead of using Fantastic or 409 or Mr. Clean, use a spray bottle filled with water and some liquid dishwashing soap to clean the counters and bathrooms.

Our last house had a stainless steel sink and that is all I ever used to clean it. I used one pump of dishwashing liquid (not diluted) and washed out the sink every night, then went on to the counter tops. Sometimes I used a spray cleaner of sorts on the counters.

I did buy Dr. Bronners soap and I think that is what is giving me the idea. Except for the peppermint, I don't like the fragrance of the other two I purchased--rose hemp and recently, the orange. Thought I would really like the orange but it's sort of disgusting to me with the rose hemp not being much better.

Home Depot had a 3 pack of Gain dishwashing liquid and I bought one--the lavender fragrance. It smells very nice, to me.

Anyway, am looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences on this. :-)

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say, I generally love fragrance but those cleaners with febreeze smell yukky to me. I don't like that fabuloso fragrance either. It just smells artificial.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I cannot see any issue with using it as you describe. Especially if Diluted well. I would probably choose a small spray bottle and use hot/warm water?
Most people I know, tend to use their sink dish water to quickly wipe down counters and tabletops on a daily basis anyway.

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My scrub bucket almost always contains a squirt of dish detergent, a dash of ammonia, and a Splash of white vinegar.i have done it this way for 40 years.

Posts: 3036 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using a mixture of vinegar and water to clean my formica counter tops. Spray, clean and wipe dry. You could use dish soap but I would use very little...don't want a lot of suds.

love life

Posts: 1428 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Yep, the vinegar and water works well. If you want a purchased product, try Seventh Heaven spray cleaner. They have one similar to 409 and it is unscented.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6223 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You can look up all kinds of homemade recipes for all kinds of cleaners on the net.
Even the homemade window cleaner with alcohol would likely work on the counters too.

And while you are at it...if you don't use one now, look up the recipe for homemade veggie wash that has white vinegar in it & use it on all fruits, veggies & melons before you cut anything. It will remove a goodly portion of any pesticide/herbicide left of those items.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4349 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvtoflip
posted Hide Post
Charcoal, I, too, have done this for a few years. I've always used a diluted solution for window cleaning and truly it seems to work well for most applications.

Hmmm, never thought of putting a little vinegar in with the water and dish detergent. Good idea!

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

Posts: 2867 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Oct 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have a squirt bottle of water and dish soap that I use for almost everything. been using it for years. The only thing I have not tried it on is windows.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3443 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I do not use any kind of soap for windows. I have a spray bottle of ammonia, water, and white vinegar for the windows. I also use that for any spots on the carpet.

Posts: 3036 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I started using various degrees of diluted dish-washing liquid as a cleaner back in the days when I simply couldn't afford a bunch of expensive, specialty cleaners. Aren't we seeing that too many 'antiseptic-type' cleaners are being used and now we are more susceptible to more germs?

Posts: 2785 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post