Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  "Organic" Cleaning Products
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Organic" Cleaning Products Sign In/Join 
Picture of Wavy
posted
I am planning on buying some "Organic" cleaning products this week or next. I always get headaches whenever I clean the bathroom or kitchen and am around the regular cleaning products too long.
Does anyone else use Organic Cleaning Products? I was just wondering and wanted to know if they work as well as the others, i.e. Lysol, Formula 409, etc. Thanks!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Hi Wavy,

Timely post for cleaning as in it is time to clean. LOL.

I have switched from a green apple scented cleaner to Meyer's Clean Day. It is concentrated so you can dilute it and use in a spray bottle. Seems to clean fine without any side effects.

Recently used a product (regular grocery aisle item) for the shower. The fumes were awful and immediate. I had to rinse it right off and leave the house for a while.

Others have used vinegar for cleaning or laundry but I can't take the smell. For our laundry, I add 1/2 cup of this to each load. It has other cleaning uses also.

http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about/other-uses/

Good luck on your cleaning too. Please let us know if you like them.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most products that are organic would always boast them on their label. Smile You can also choose to do organic products at home for cleaning. There are a lot of cleaning recipes available online. Baking soda is one of widely used cleaning agent that's available. Smile -ana_b

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ana_b,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not believe there is a legal definition for "organic" cleaners. What that means is the same as usual.....buyers beware. Do not trust labels, read contents. What is good for someone else is not always good for you. You will have to use trial and error to see what really cleans and what you like and can tolerate.

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
metwo is correct...read the contents.

Some of the best "organic" cleaners - perhaps a better word might be "non-toxic" are vinegar and baking soda - used separately. Vinegar for a disinfectant - baking soda for scouring. You can also pour some baking soda in your drain, then pour in some vinegar. It bubbles and foams.

Neither takes care of stains very well.

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
My best cleaning agent is: steam.
You won't get a kitchen or bath cleaner and more sanitary than with steam.
Bought agent: Simple Green. Very light scent.Spray/steam off/wipe. GREAT!

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
M-ma, Simple Green is a prime example of how different people react differently to the same product. I can't stand the smell of Simple Green and have found it to be very harsh to use.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beau's Rose, what green apple scent cleaner was that?

Personally, I don't like the aroma of Simple Green either. Yuk.

I've tried some cleaners that have febreeze added to them. Gosh, I just don't like like the smell of febreeze no matter what the flavor is. There's a cleaner that has Gain mixed in--I like the smell of Gain but get tired of it.

Wonder if we can mix some fabric softener in with vinegar and use that? Would it eliminate the vinegar smell?

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. Why don't you try it and let us know? I like it when to all experiment and we can benefitSmile

Posts: 6721 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except then I'd actually have to clean something...

posted Hide Post
So I was reading tonight about using Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap for household cleaning. Has anyone ever tried that?

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom,

Just saw your question. It was the Fa*bul*oso brand of green apple cleaner. Smells good. But I really like the lemon or lavender one from Mrs Meyers.

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9318 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
I use Dr. Bronner's all the time -- it is the only thing I use to clean besides vinegar and baking soda and a beeswax product for the wood furniture. (oh and toilet bowl cleaner) The added bonus to Dr. Bronner's is that you can also use it to kill scale on house plants!!!!

I like it. You can find a BIG bottle at TJ's or you can order it on line.

It has a great smell (peppermint) and I think it works well for everyday cleaning. It's concentrated so the bottle lasts "forever"!

I would recommend it.

And it is so much cheaper than Mrs. Meyers.

Martha

Posts: 5397 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I am going to go to the health food store today to see if they have some--the Dr. Bronners. I'll report back if I do.

Thank you. :-)

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
I think I am going to go to the health food store today to see if they have some--the Dr. Bronners. I'll report back if I do.

Thank you. :-)

You don't have to go to a health food store to buy it. Trader Joe's and Target carry it. Make sure to smell the soap first when you choose a scent. Here is a link to Target with the scents available. I use it too. Someone one the board a long time ago posted a recipe for mixing baking soda, a very small amount of Dr. Bonner's soap and if I recall correctly vinegar into a paste to make your own soft scrub cleaner. Don't mix vinegar and baking soda together though because they cancel each other out because vinegar is an acid and baking soda is a base.

http://www.target.com/s?search...ner%27s+Castile+soap

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
If you mix vinegar and baking soda - the solution foams - a lot!

Posts: 16464 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The health food store is closer than Target so I went there. The bottles were on sale but sealed so I couldn't smell before buying. I bought the peppermint and rose.

I made a spray bottle with the peppermint and cleaned both bathrooms. It seemed to clean just as well as any other cleaner I've used so I'm debating to throw out all of the Mr Clean type products I currently have. The aromas to those just make me about gag, for some reason. Although, peppermint makes dh gag so not sure we're ahead, gag-wise.

The health food store had a Dr. Bronner's with a citrus scent. I almost bought that, now I wish I did. I do have a natural cleaner with a grapefruit scent and I really like that one. I checked when I was there and they didn't have it.

Have to do the kitchen and the floors yet tonight.

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom, did you use the soap straight or did you mix it with water? TIA

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mixed it with water, still. The video I saw last night said about 1/4 cup to however many ounces of water. She used a home depot sprayer and I had the exact sprayer so I just filled it up mostly with water and then dumped in some peppermint soap. I did not measure.

So now that I'm thinking about all of this cleaning stuff, I am wondering, why not just clean with a sprayer of dish detergent and water? Wouldn't dish detergent be non-toxic?

posted Hide Post
I watched a couple of different videos on the Bronner soap last night. In one, the woman said the mixture of Bronner and water cleaned her car and yukky car mats better than any other product she's used.

Not sure if I'm going to get to the floors in here tonight but I did just finish washing the outside of the car. Sprayed the peppermint spray all over it, mopped it with the sponge mop, and rinsed. Of course, can't really tell how good it looks because it's dark out but I will check in the morning. I should probably spray a little on the inside for the dashboard, etc., but I didn't even think to do that when I was out there.

posted Hide Post
My little yorkie licks the entire kitchen floor and we can't break him of this habit. I found a recipe for floor cleaner using vinegar, baking soda and a squirt of dish detergent. Unfortunately, even the taste and smell of vinegar is attractive to him, but at least he won't get sick. I've used vinegar to clean floors and bathrooms when my dad who was on oxygen lived with us...he couldn't take strong perfumed cleaners. A note: while vinegar doesn't smell great it literally evaporates in about ten minutes and then you can't smell it. I even use 1/4 c in a cup of water as hair conditioner and it leaves your hair really clean and shiny.

Posts: 734 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post