Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  life today v. life back in the day (!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

life today v. life back in the day (!) Sign In/Join 
Picture of lady of shallot
posted
I was going to put this on gen'l dec. but then because of the thread "regionalisms" thought it would be better here.

I got into a nightmare of a snafu, yesterday trying to do on-line banking (which I have been doing for about 15 years) and it was the worst day for something like this to happen as I was unusually busy with a needed hair appt., shopping, etc.

Anyway now to sign on to my account I need a login name, a password, a security phrase and then the answers to three security questions.

So with the tech on the phone I read the list of security questions. This cracked me up and shows how different life is today than when I arrived.

First question was: what was your first phone # inc. area code. My first phone # had no area code as there were none! (you called the long distance operator to place a phone call for you and they were expensive!) and anyway who could remember their first phone #?

What was your third grade teachers name? I think it was Peck, she wore a wig and is the only teacher that hit me. But really who remembers the names of all their teachers?

"What was the name of your first stuffed animal? Honestly? I never owned a stuffed animal and can't remember the names of my dolls!

My DH just called the newspaper to suspend delivery for a couple of days. He was grilled like he had committed a crime. that may be an exaggeration but it sure isn't a simple procedure any more.

Does anyone else feel that big brother really is watching them and sort of defining who they are?
And all this in the guise of "helping" you, "protecting" you etc.

We just have gotten a roku and joined netflix. I love the Roku, but netflix "guides" me or suggests to me, movies they think I will like as does Amazon with books. I don't want to be spoon fed anything. I still want to think for myself and I actually think modern life . . . while admittedly great in many ways, is in many other ways just re-defining the parameters of what constitutes, say discrimination, behavior etc.

BTW, I made a mistake in typing redefining above and the computer "corrected" it to re-enlisting! See what I mean?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lady of shallot,

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life can be frustrating sometimes. I often say that there's a good reason why we shouldn't live forever because eventually we feel too alienated by social change to be comfortable. Each succeeding generation deals with a diminution of privacy, independence and courtesy. I wonder sometimes what the future will look like.

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
One of the worse things you ever want to hear.
"Hello, I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help you!" It would make a person want run for the hills.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Handie Ann,

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I remember the telephone we had when I was in Kindergarten. It was a black rotary, and I don't exactly remember the phone number, but it was something like "Melrose 3 -4417". Remember when the first part of the number was a word?

As far as online protections: it is so easy now to access information about a person, or for someone to steal information that should be private. I imagine that it is a real problem for banks especially. I have never minded all the security stuff.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Melrose 3 -4417". Remember when the first part of the number was a word?

Evergreen 2-XXXX

It's actually my aunt's. She is still alive and has the phone number, which is why I didn't post it.

We moved too much for me to remember anything except my current #.

Many times, stores want my email address. I just lie and say I don't have one. OK, I'm not proud of lying. But, I am tired of being spammed by people who claim to have a "previous association/relationship" with me. Ditto with telephone numbers. I don't have one. Wink

Posts: 4616 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I tried to do my online bill pay today and every time I logged in, then clicked Bill Pay I went back to the Home page, but showed logged in. I decided that there's a glitch and will try tomorrow.

I have no idea what my first phone number was as a kid, but I do remember my own very first phone number - 645-3005 (My parent's was 3008 at that time and our immediate neighbor was 3800!!!)
My third grade teacher was Mrs. Fite.
I had a stuffed toy or two but have no idea what I would've named any of them! I did have two dollies that were identical in every feature, size, etc., except their color...one was a white baby, the other was a black baby. They were named Tootsie and Poopsie. Big Grin Here's a photo of me holding Poopsie with my older brother defending me. Wink Notice my "capris" and boots. Big Grin

I don't like stores asking for phone numbers, home addresses, or e-mail addresses unless I want on their list...which is rare. I remember moving to a new town with a new phone number. DS was with me when I wrote a check at a store and they asked for my phone number. I gave them my old number. DS asked me about it when we got outside and I confessed that I didn't remember our new number and besides they only need it to call you if the check bounced and my check was good.

I hate auto-correct!

On legitimate unwanted e-mails, I will unsubscribe and give them a month to fix it. If they don't and I still receive their junk, I label it Spam - along with all the real Spam I get - that notifies my provider to look at it and regardless of what they do, it goes to my Spam folder.

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first phone was Franklin something and I lived at 2523 Franklin. When mom died and we were cleaning out her apt. My 16 year old grandson showed interest in her rotary phone. I gave it to him and he couldn't figure out how to turn it on. I have trouble remembering my phone number because I rarely call it. My phone has called me twice in the last week or so. Once when I was home and once when I was gone. What is that about?

Do you know your friends numbers? I know the ones from years ago but not my new ones. If they fall off caller ID, I have to look in my book.

I like auto correct when it changes to what I want but otherwise I hate it which is most of the time.

Posts: 2318 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember back when we had postal zones rather than zip codes? I spent most of my youth in Kansas City, and if you were mailing something local, all you needed was the street address and City,

141 Fallbrook Ave
City

and your letter, bill payment, etc. would get to its destination just fine. That could never happen these days.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ok, we lived rural so we didn't have a "name" in front of our phone #, but it was 3-5926...and don't ask me why I remember it, I have no idea. But it was also a 12 party line and our "ring" was one long & 2 shorts...and when you picked up...tell Mrs. Flowers down at the end of the road to get OFF the line! She was an old busy-body!
My third grade teacher was Miss Darnelle, 4th-Mrs. Snow & 5th-Mrs. Moose...I don't remember any others.
No stuffed animals here either unless you count that stupid monkey my step-mother made from a sock...I hated it! But my oldest & most favorite doll was Betty!
When I played "house/dress up" with other girls...my "house" name was always Linda!...and I was ALWAYS a famous singer too! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I am loving reading all this. Yes, I remember CApitol 5 19xx collect, I have an obituary...so said my mother as dad was a funeral director. I do remember my childhood # and it still works for now, we still have a rotary phone at the lake and it is a hoot to see the grands use it. No area code, that is when you dialed O and the operator would connect you. My first grade teacher taught me how to sew when I was 9 in 4-H and she knit a sweater for my oldest DD, stuffed animals...nope too many to name. I remember my dad's cb call sign, 1W11xx from the late 50's. That is how my mom got in touch when he was out doing errands, funeral thing again. Mom had a wringer washer when I was real young. I told my kids that we didn't have lights when I was young so had to watch TV by candlelight. hehe, they bought it for a while.

Sherry, love the picture of you and your protective brother.

piney

Posts: 3240 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile
I think I remember all my elementary school teachers:
1 Mrs Dorn(e)
2 Mrs Wagner
3Mrs Fite
4 Mrs Smith
5 Mrs Dean
6 Mrs Tucker

Posts: 17371 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the names of my teachers, except for one--he was my mother's cousin. What I do remember is that my second grade teacher brought an Autoharp to school one day and the dear woman let all of us have a few minutes on it.

I was smitten.

It took me more than 45 years, but I finally have my own Autoharp. I LOVE it. I doubt I would ever have been exposed to it were it not for her bringing it to school.

Posts: 4616 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Well, I might as well jump in here. I went to a very small (less than 100 students thru 9th grade) rural school so I had the same teacher for two years, except when I got to junior high. First and second grade was Alice Padget Grant. She got married while I was her student and that really knocked us little kids for a loop. Didn't know how to deal. Third and fourth grade was Minnie Moore. What a character. Fifth and Sixth was Brady Brown McDonald. Again, another marriage but this one was easier. Seventh, eighth and ninth grades were a combination of Glenn and Leola Neal. He was the principal and taught science and math. She taught all the other stuff. All of them were wonderful people and I saw them off and on over the years. I believe Leola Neal is the only one remaining. Got a good education and they cared about us. Oh, and our lunch room lady was Edna Mae Ray. I loved that woman. I worked in the lunchroom from sixth through ninth grades but the hijinks we enjoyed!!! Wouldn't trade it for anything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread!!!
I cannot believe the dumb questions you were asked! I was asked 'security questions' too. I was asked the street name or number I used to live, mother's maiden name (of course!) (Today, many mothers only have a maiden name, not back then!) I was asked my pet's name, or first bosses' name.
I do remember my first phone #. FA-7-2841.
FA was for Far Rockaway!
My 3rd grade teacher was Mrs. Wolf
My 4th grade teacher was Mrs. Schaeffer
My 5th grade teacher was Mrs. Carlyle
I cannot remember a million other things I NEED TO REMEMBER, HOWEVER!!!
My MIL still has those old phones (with the long telephone cord (no cordless!) I want that phone, it's priceless!
Remember having to sit by the phone for a week and wait for a guy you liked, to call you???
No instant calls or texting....

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the old phones that plugged into the wall, we always have one of them in use. When there's a power outage, they normally still work due to being supported by the larger grid. If you have the usual cordless phones on a base, you're out of luck when the power goes out.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I've had 10 home phone numbers and 3 work phone numbers. I have a hard time just remembering the current ones. I only remember the name of my 2nd grade teacher because I attended her wedding (she invited all of us). I only remember the name of 1 stuffed animal, Ellie, a stuffed elephant.

Identity theft is a real problem, but fighting it is a b****.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
When there's a power outage, they normally still work due to being supported by the larger grid. If you have the usual cordless phones on a base, you're out of luck when the power goes out.

we lose our phones when we lose our cable (internet and t.v. too)

Last night we attended a h.s. graduation and the superindentant of schools gave an interesting talk. She said these words will lose their meanings: local, average, trust, private. We will no longer have any privacy, nothing will be able to be considered "local" a/c the immediacy of communications. To me it was an invitation to some thought.

Posts: 13080 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have one push button plugged in phone with a really long cord in the bedroom...no we have two of them....the other is in DHs office. We have three cordless phones. Even though we have cell phones, if bad weather comes in a someway somehow takes out the closest cellphone tower and our electricity, we might still have a phone.

posted Hide Post
Can remember every teacher's name K-6. We didn't have a middle school, so HS was 7-12. Can remember many teachers I had then for usually quirky things about them.

Phone # I first remember is 4135. Then it went to TR-41395 (for Tremont... where THAT came from, no idea). Went to 874-1395, then 215-774-1395. In SE Philly, and when number of phones got so big, changed to 610-874-1395. Seems in PA, or at least the extreme SE section, you HAVE to add a 1 even if number calling is in same area code. Not so here in NJ.

Friend had a great aqua blue rotary wall phone in her kitchen. Daughter came home with a friend to work on a project for school. Asked if friend could stay for dinner. Mom said fine, as long as mom says it's ok. Kid was gone a LONG time using phone?? Came back and asked HOW do you use it? Picturing her pushing her fingers IN the holes and nothing happening!?!

Posts: 5661 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How many of you pined for a princess phone in your own room?! It didn't even matter what color! Remember the lighted dial?! Swoon.....

We had one telephone. It was a black rotary dial phone on the wall between the kitchen and the dining room with a very long cord so DM could talk while she cooked. Or you could "lounge" in a straight-back dining room chair talking to your bestest friend. With long distance charge to the two closest towns (7 and 8 miles away) of 10 cents a minute, we kids weren't expected to get too comfortable. And yes, we were timed!

After algebra homework, I would call Dolly and she would quickly talk me through one or two problems that I couldn't get. Later, she would call me on the one or two that she couldn't get. We faked the rest of them. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I would have loved that phone, alas my dad had the funeral home and we had the "key" system..a different button to answer each line as we also had the personal line, fire phone and the electric company after hours because someone was home 24/7. We also monitored the airport radio beacon and had a red box in our dining room that rang the siren for a fire (very chic). We had 8 phones in the house.

piney

Posts: 3240 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We had a party line back in the day. We had to hang up our rotary dial phone,listen for the ring to stop to know the other party had picked up. We also listened carefully to see if others on the party were "eavesdropping" no secrets in that type of phone calls; and it didn't have to Mom/Dad! Dad brought home one of the rotary phones with the rotary dial on the bottom of the phone. (I looked for an image of that phone....I found one at the Benton County museum.) I think our favorite was the Mickey Mouse he found somewhere...again rotary dial. I recall when I brought a rotary dial in the classroom and the kids asked how it worked.

We moved quite a bit. I had Mrs. Goo as a 1st gr. teacher. I remember all my teachers' names; but, her name and sweet nature stands out. When we moved stateside, I had rural teachers. There were two teachers of each grade level. Did your teachers ever switch for the various "specialty" subjects they excelled in? It was either Language Arts/ Science switch. They told us that it was to prepare us for "junior high". Even the term "jr. high" is passe - middle school is "in" now.

Today, hub and I celebrated our anniversary. He took us out for breakfast. I read a sign on one wall, "Never trust a skinny cook". According to the sign,an Aussie chef had said it. Funny thing....I received a book from a student years ago with that title. Does anyone know who started that phrase?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
First off, let me admit that DH and I are really old fashioned. We don't use online banking or any money account online. We don't have cellphones that do everything, our phones just send and receive and they stay off most of the time. I have never "Texted" in my life and don't plan to. The only kind of home phone we have are landlines that plug into the wall. I still have my brown ATT Slimline from 1978, and I wish I could find another one.

Our family number in the 60's was Hunter8-6340 and it was an olive green rotary desk phone. My 3rd grade teachers were Mrs. Pecorara and Sister Margaret at Catholic school. My first and only stuffed animal was named Bunny. Funny the things we remember. We did have a baby blue Princess phone when we were teenagers that was shared between four girls.

I usually give my mother's maiden name or a past pet for a password on accounts. I had my wallet stolen in 2001 and I had accounts popping up everywhere for 2-3 years. But they really did me no harm. I never paid for any unauthorized purchases. I have a Fraud Alert at all three Credit Bureaus for the last 14 years and our credit score is excellent.

That being said, I know as time goes on and new technology takes over, I probably won't be able to write a check and mail it. Land lines might disappear and we might not need brakes on our cars. Some good, some bad. I just hope I live to see it all.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Handie Ann:
One of the worse things you ever want to hear.
"Hello, I'm from the goverment and I'm here to help you!" It would make a person want run for the hills.

Ah, but today it is not Uncle Sam keeping tabs - it is private business with not always quite so secure servers.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't even have to lose your card for them to use it. I had my debit card only wallet and they still charged nearly $1000 to my account. I got it all back with no problem but it really hacked me.

Posts: 2318 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I have had my card compromise twice my bank called me both times and cancled my card and issued me a new one. No loss on my account. Both times that it happend it was at the same store. once when I was in the store and once when I ordered on line.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3602 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
We've had so many new cards from the banks because their security has been compromised it makes my head spin!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sis2:
When mom died and we were cleaning out her apt. My 16 year old grandson showed interest in her rotary phone. I gave it to him and he couldn't figure out how to turn it on.

TOO FUNNY!!! :>D

SYIS ~ Yes, I had a lovely Pink Princess phone in my bedroom! Swoon is right!!! Wink

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WHAT? You had your very own PINK PRINCESS PHONE in YOUR BEDROOM?

I don't like you any more. Frown

Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Calm down, don't get your panties in a bunch....
We had a main house phone, which was located on the kitchen wall (weren't they all, in those days??) My sister and I shared a bedroom (we lived in an apt., always did) and we really wanted to talk to our friends on the phone in privacy in our bedroom. So my dear mother got us a "phone extension" for our bedroom and it was a Princess phone!
(I wasn't that popular I didn't need my own phone....Frown)

posted Hide Post
Well. Okay. But it's still not right. I only dreamed about the cord (the squiggly one because the phone was on the wall in the kitchen/dining room area) being long enough to stretch to the bathroom and shut the door.

Sigh. I couldn't talk but a few minutes any way to BFF...you know that 10 cents a minute charge to the next town...

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Some of you are mere babes.
My first phone # had no word first.
It was 3474-W. My grandparents' number was 3474-M.

I remember the names of my seven elementary teachers. Way back then elem. was 1-8 (8th moved into town to one of the two jr.-hi's). Local school needed more room for the boomers.

Talk about problems on the phone. Try finding a human to answer when calling the IRS! We once received a significant check ($600 plus). Just a check; no reason for said check. I called the IRS: menu, menu, menu, menu, menu, ad vomitum. Occasionally I'd click a number in the menu. And I got: menu, menu, menu.
OK, put check into bank account.
Couple of months later another IRS check arrived--no reason stated; $600 plus Total thus far is $1200 plus. Check into account.
Go see tax preparer. He went over past five years of returns; rechecked return of past couple of years very closely.
Couple of months later, letter from IRS. Please remit $1100 in mistake sent to us. No reason stipulated for error.
We did. And thanks for the tip, IRS.
What is a person to do? Did we not to everything to resolve these checks?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M-ma,

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
M-ma, I know what you mean, I recently called the IRS for info and no matter what I did or how many numbers I pressed I could never get a human. What a pain!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
One would think that every "district" would have people to answer the phone for the IRS.
To whom does one e-mail a question such as we had?
My guess is that most people would call the IRS to complain.
So, have someone deal with complaints. We had a serious question. We knew we were not owed anything by the IRS but they kept sending checks.
I imagine the day when the IRS sends real people to tell us that we kept some money that the IRS accidently sent to us and that the interest and money owed is not near seven figures.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post