Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Car first aid kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Car first aid kit Sign In/Join 
posted
My husband fell in a motel room and we had to use the first aid kit. It was woefully out of date. We've had it in several cars over the years and never looked at it. We managed with the help of a cloth handkerchief my husband always carries that we cut up.

Everything in the kit will be changed. I figured neosparin type gel, medium bandages, larger non-stick pads and tape.

What would you include in a first aid kit?

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Here ya go:

Include everything you might need for a medical emergency: 4-by-4-inch nonadhesive bandages, gauze and medical tape, butterfly bandage strips and an elastic bandage. Add a trauma pad, instant ice pack, alcohol wipes, tweezers, swabs, cotton balls, a small pack of tissues, antibiotic ointment, tincture of benzoin, insect sting relief pads, cortisone cream and an irrigation syringe. Include acetaminophen and ibuprofen for pain relief, and antihistamines for allergic reactions. A first aid instruction book can be very helpful.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_585_pack-first-aid.html

I kept one in my truck or car when DS was small.

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no way I can fit all of that into a small first aid pouch. I know what the "experts" say. It is unrealistic.

Thanks KYIS but I would be more interested in what you kept in your first aid kit.

By the way, my pouch is 6x3x2+. It fits in the door pocket.

Posts: 7291 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
This is what I have in mine... it's 6x7 2" deep zippered pouch, it fits in my door pocket.

Small scissors
Adhesive bandages, multiple sizes
Non-Adherent Pads
X2 Conform Bandages, Sterile, 1"x4yds.
2"x4 yds.
Triangular Bandage 37"x37" Non /sterile
Cleansing Towelettes
Sting relief pads
Antiseptic and Burn Ointment
Bacitracin
Waterproof adhesive tape
Sterile 4x4 Pads

A Quick Guide to CPR and First Aid... Unconsciousness, ABC's of CPR, Choking, Bleeding, Poisoning, Eye Injury, Burns.

After looking at it, I think it's a little incomplete.

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
We have a first aid kit for our home, but this is a great idea to have!

The other evening, I stubbed my toe and lost 1/3 of a toenail. Needless to say, we need to add bandaids to the kit. I ended up using painters' tape to hold the kleenex and fabric over the toe. It looked absolutely goofy! We'll have to get our vehicle set up, too. Thanks for the reminder.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I carried pretty much everything listed except the trauma pad, instant ice pack (which really isn't a bad idea), tincture of benzoin and an irrigation syringe. I also do not use acetaminophen because my RN SIL told me to not buy any because of possible liver damage.

Posts: 17383 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never even thought of putting a kit in my car. Good idea. I think you would need some way to clean a wound, though, alcohol wipes maybe?

Posts: 2043 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I rarely go more than 25 miles from the house, and am almost never more than 5 miles from a Walgreens. I don't keep first aid stuff in my car. When I go out of town I carry the first aid stuff I use most often - aspirin, excedrin, sudafed, and bandaids.

I have orthopedic issues from one end to the other so I usually have a elastic knee, ankle, and elbow braces in my purse. When I travel I put my yoga strap and sometimes crutches in the truck.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is a conform bandage?

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
What is a conform bandage?

It's a sticky ACE bandage, it needs no pins to stay in place.

Posts: 1025 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sprained my ankle a year ago March...DH brought one of those sticky ace bandages back from the ********...was I ever surprised...no more clips or safety pins!

** area is pha r macy..admin censors....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
metwo, you might just want to pick up a new first aid kit from a **** store or Target or someplace like that. It is usually more economical to buy them that way.

It you really want to put together your own kit, think through what injuries are likely, and get what you would need for those.

I always carried a first aid kit in my car when my kids were small. I carried wet wipes, neosporin and assorted bandaids for scrapes and cuts. I carried a pair of tweezers for splinters. I had a automatic ice pack for bumps. I had an antihistamine for allergic reactions, ibuprofen for aches and pains, and an epi pen for one of my children who had a serious allergy.

So I was prepared for general scrapes, cuts, splinters, bumps, allergies, pains, and a more serious allergic condition. I found that those were the typical things my children had happen, and they were the things I could reasonably treat without medical assistance.

Posts: 7275 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a small kit in car... came with it when new in 04!?! Has the basics.

For the "what if" situations when on the road, I usually think more CAR related. I have a milk crate that LIVES in the back of my Sante Fe. Has 2-3 quarts of oil (with oily funnel in big zip bag), at least half a jug of coolant, a 2 liter recycled soda bottle with ANCIENT water, roll of paper towels, and a bag of the CHEAPEST kitty litter. Also have "tools" all over the place... one each phillips and straight screw drivers, Little kit with several different screw drivers (kind that fit into a universal handle), pliers, snippers??, tire gauge. A flash light, insect repellent and a few other odds & ends. I also have jumper cables, but would have to "rely on the kindness of strangers" since I DON'T know how to use them and they pretty much SCARE me??

Posts: 5661 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Maybe this is a silly question, but wouldn't a motel office have a first aid kit?

For the car I would never think of having one as we travel on major roads well within reach of a ****store.

Maybe we are excessively inexperienced travelers but in 80 years I have never felt the need of a first aid kit while in the car. Nor have I ever heard of anyone in my family needing one.

How often have people reading this thread used their in car first air kits?

Posts: 13087 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I think it probably depends on the motel. Hilton almost certainly has first aid supplies on hand. At Motel Six the clerk may be able to direct you to the nearest grocery store.

Those few items I carry when I travel, I need a couple of them just about every trip. I can't drive more than 1 hour without my ankle and wrist braces. My business trip from h*** - 4 hours driving in fog, 8 hour conference, then 3 hour driving home, the only supplies I didn't use were the bandaids and the crutches.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would suspect that a first aid kit would be required equipment at the hotel office.
The one thing I haven't heard anyone putting in their kit is a few pair of disposable latex gloves for protection from bloodborne pathogens. You never know who you'll need to use your kit on. Another item that is very handy is a cpr mask that comes in a hard plastic case (about $8) - for the same reason. It allows you to perform cpr on someone without putting your mouth to theirs and it uses a one way valve so you aren't in danger if they should vomit. Anyone who hasn't had first aid training in recent years would do well to take a refresher.
There have been many changes since the old days- even in how you perform cpr now. I have to do it for my job. They also showed us how to use AED's - automated external defibrillators. Many public places around town have them for emergencies (churches/ stores etc) and they are automated once you put the pads in place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: llazy1,

Posts: 662 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To be honest I never thought about calling the motel office. It was 3am and we just needed to stop the bleeding. It was just a scrap. I would never call for help with something I can handle.

My husbands skin has thinned to the point where he gets a sore if you look crossed eyed at him. We always carry bandages in the glove box and often need them even if we are just going to town.

If I have a major emergency I am calling 911. I do not feel I would likely be mentally equipped to do much else. The first aid kit has only been used a couple times in the last 20 years but have been very glad it was there when needed even if the tape was not as sticky as it should be and other things.

A 'first aid' kit for the car is a good idea and I carried one when I was younger with undependable cars. Now I call for road service. Age has its privileges and not having to change a flat tire is one of them.