Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Carpet is stinky - any quick fixes to hold me over until the cleaners can do it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carpet is stinky - any quick fixes to hold me over until the cleaners can do it Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
Aack! We've had constant rain over the past week like many parts of the southwest and the dampness in the air has really amped up the pet odors. I can't find any specific spots, but am the sort of person who can smell it a mile away so...

What product do you use to freshen things up? Arm & Hammer or ?????

I'll go around with Nature's miracle, but need a quick cleaning product to freshen the house a bit. Any suggestions?

Posts: 3399 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Nature's miracle is the best solution. Buy the largest container you can for value (gallon and half here) It needs to saturate the carpet where any pets wet it (so I would pour it/spray it on straight.
A black light and piece of chalk in the dark can help you locate and mark obvious areas of past urine damage. Then after saturation...let it sit and work damp for a day or two. DO NOT wipe it or wash it out or speed up drying time. It only works while it is wet and saturated down to where ever the urine ended up (pad or floor) It may take more than one application. But this will be a big help for when you do have the carpet actually cleaned later.

Other than that, a dehumidifier is probably the next best thing, if you do not want to treat it at this time. Dampness intensifies any pet odors!

You can also try white vinegar, but it may be limited in it's results.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conrad I'm glad to hear from you! Did not know if you were in the mountains or back on the Flatlands and thought the rains were up near you too.

I've hit the usual suspect spots with NM and will let it soak. I've also gone thru with a bit of air freshener. I'm trying to convince DH to turn on the furnace just to heat things up and take that dampness out. I'm hoping to have the carpets cleaned by December.

Good tip about the black light. I will try that!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
junk collector, It has been a rough couple of days watching and hearing via internet. Was set to head to the mountains yesterday...but Thursday found all the roads in were washed out. Real mess, and affects SO many people and businesses, weeks.. months... a year? Our home is high and dry, and we have good neighbors who checked for us. Not so good news for so many others. Minimal life lost...that is the best news.

DM was partially incontinent, and used NM on her track from bedroom to the bathroom. REALLY soaked the carpet trail, and it made a BIG difference in the odor. And then had it professionally steam cleaned a couple weeks later. It is now amazingly odor free!

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear your place is ok. I'm from Boulder and cannot believe what my former backyard looks like.

I'm going to have to soak more spots here. Fortunately it is so lousy out I'll have plenty of reason to stay home and clean. Oh the joy...

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It seems so surreal when watching the videos and the news pictures. They are saying a MONUMENTAL event and impact, and that seems close to summing it up.

I still love those mountains regardless.Wink

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Conrad - there is so much rain up there that the Platte is flooding in western Nebraska. They expect it to be full here in a couple of weeks. Farmers and rancher have been told to move cattle and equipment out of the dry river bed before the water arrives.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes JoW, Platte river, "possible" flood stage reaching all the way to Grand Island NE!

12-14 inches of rain in at least 4 adjacent CO counties in 2 days. That would cause flooding just about anywhere. And all that water has to go somewhere now.

Amazingly there has been few actual deaths in the CO area. Of course not all have been accounted for as of yet, due to lack of power, cell coverage and washed out roads/trails.

posted Hide Post
News reports are stating that some of the smaller communities are uninhabitable due to sewage and damage.

The washed out bridges are a big problem as winter snows could start soon. Foundations for bridges won't have time to set, so I believe they are trying to determine what can be put into place - temporary or otherwise. A lot of damage also happened outside of "flood zones" where homeowners don't have flood insurance .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,