Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cleaning my favorite bedspread-please help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning my favorite bedspread-please help Sign In/Join 
posted
My favorite quilted bedspread is white with tiny embroidered flowers on it. It's really dirty from just regular use and a kitty cat who moved in and made it her favorite spot! It's too heavy to fit into my washing machine and I have put off washing it because I'm stuck on how to. I'd love to just wet it down like I do with my clothes and take a little scrub brush to the heavily soiled area and the few spots. Is this possible with the new HE machines at the laundramat? Do I just throw in the laundry detergent and bleach and hope for the best.
Ok, so the little flowers might fade but I could flip it over and use just the plain quilted back side if need be..
Any good ideas or hints? Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dry cleaners and show them the problem areas?

Posts: 1926 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you are positively sure it's washable, I guess I'm inclined to send it to dry cleaners and tell kitty to find a new spot.

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's washable, I'm just concerned that dry cleaning won't clean the dirt as well as washing it would. Kitty will never find a new spot. She was a stray, someone let her into my house thinking she was mine 2 years ago. Obviously not a feral cat, she found the food, had a snack, did her business in the kitty litter and marched upstairs and claimed her spot on my bed. Done deal, she was mine-and I love her dearly.
Back to the question will dry cleaning really clean it??? And how much will it cost, I know no one can quote a price but just in general.
Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaysmom49,

Posts: 1926 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Since you cannot use it as it is, you do not have much to lose. I would use Shout or something similar on the dirty area, and just take it to the heavy duty machine at the laundromat.

I would not use bleach, but maybe add some white vinegar. I throw leather purses and sandals in the washing machine for the same reason.....they are of no use when they are dirty....so why not!

Posts: 3035 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would try a commercial laundry. They usually have big machines that can wash a large item. I think that would be a better process than dry cleaning. I have no idea what the cost would be.

If you have a place to dry it outside, you could try spot cleaning it in your bathtub, but you'll have to be able to get all of the soap out of it which won't be easy.

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would definitely take it to a professional laundry/dry cleaner's company ~ they will know the best method to use. I wouldn't try any home "remedies" on it as it sounds like it is a unique piece not easily replaced.

PS. I agree with letting kitty have "her" spot ~ the joy she brings into your life is worth paying to have it cleaned every once in a while! Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would either take it to a professional washer/cleaner and talk to them. I imagine the dirty spot is from the oils of kitty's fur/skin. You could take it to the laundromat and do it yourself, using a good detergent and spraying the kitty area. After you have it clean....could you put a sheet or small blanket over the spread for kitty to lay on?

love life

Posts: 1427 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I would take it to the dry cleaners. I washed a queen-sized comforter in a commercial washer and it came out with numerous tears in the fabric because it was so heavy when wet. An alternative idea would be hosing it off on the lawn and draping it over lawn chairs to dry.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I recently had a Queen size white comforter laundered at my dry cleaner for 20 dollars. If you have a friendly hotel near you, you could inquire if they would clean your comforter in one of their big commercial washing machines. Bring it home and hang it yourself to dry.

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for the dry cleaners and then covering it with a sheet when you put it back on the bed. If kitty always sleeps in the same spot, you can fold the sheet to cover her spot and let the rest of the comforter show.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the feedback, now time for a decision...

posted Hide Post
I have always washed my comforters at the laundry mat in their biggest machines. I have never had a problem.

Posts: 7968 | Location: FL | Registered: Nov 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donna, what do you use to clean it? Just regular laundry detergent? Bleach? Pre-treat spots?
These new machines confuse me. I'm used to my regular old wringer washer that I can wet the item, spray on some pre-treat (I LOVE Simple Green) and a small scrub brush but you can't do that in these new front loaders.
BTW, I don't have a SMART phone, either, guess I'm still in another century LOL!

posted Hide Post
Jaysmom, I think you are over thinking this! (I know about that because I do it often and then do nothing for too long.Smile) It has been awhile but I have used front loaders at the laundramat and did exactly as you describe, pretreat etc.

Sometimes, if you own pets you just have to accept less then perfect bedspread. You probably don't want to kick the cat off and it will always leave marks on the spread (just like my dog does). You don't want to cover it because then you can't see the pretty. I drool at some of the spreads but there is no point in buying them. What I finally do now is make coverlets to go on top of a neutral colorspread. I can throw that in my washer. You could do the same thing with your pretty embroidered spread.

I meant you could cut down your favorite spread to a size you can handle. You could probably get a cover and a pillow quilt out of it and you would have the same effect as a spread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: metwo,

Posts: 6730 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
The laundry mat will usually sell you small load size detergents, if you want, or use your own. The laundry mats large front load washers won't get a suds lock as easy as home units, so I don't think you will need the HE detergents, but the machine will say somewhere, if required.
Prewash treatment products? (I do have quite an assortment, pretty much all the same results, btw)
Never have found the "magic bullet" that works all the time and on everything.
But my favorite is still Shout Advanced pump spray. It is the best I have found for set in stains on any fabric, so I tend to use it on lots of things. I Spray it over the stain area, rub in a bit, and fold the item up, and leave for up to a week prior to washing. It works better doing so, than just spraying and tossing in the washer.

I bet your spread will be fine.Wink

Posts: 9432 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right, I probably am over-thinking it.
It's just so much easier than actually doing it!
If the weather would break here, I could pack it in the car and get to the laudramat when I have the inclination, and then I can pack it away for the summer.
Thanks for everything, you people are the best!

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add that yes I would take it to the laundromat and wash it after pre treating the stain, BUT I would never put it in the dryer. I would hang it up to dry .

Posts: 3035 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the no dryer, they are more harsh on many fabrics than the washer. You might dry it for 20 minutes on medium heat then remove to dry it at home.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post