Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Cookware and I just don't get along
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cookware and I just don't get along Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
Doesn't matter if it's non-stick or not. After a few uses, I find the non-stick coating flaking off. My regular cookware has layers of food build-up. After using, I soak pots and pans in RT water with some Dawn detergent, the scrub with a nylon brush. Is it me or my cookware to blame?

Posts: 600 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good grief! What kind of utensils do you use on your cookware?

What is RT water?

Posts: 7126 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
RT is room temperature. I have plastic and metal utensils.

Posts: 600 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I don't use anything with non-stick coating any more. Once you get cast iron good and seasoned, it's pretty much nonstick. Just a thin sliver of butter or minimal bacon grease Big Grin and I can fry an egg without it sticking.

Back when I had non-stick, I did not buy the cheapest or the most expensive. I washed with hot water and dish detergent...never put it in the dishwasher. They lasted for several years. And never had any flaking. I think I had t-fal but am no longer positive. The only thing I remember is the red dot in the center of the skillet.

Posts: 17198 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I throw some dishwashing liquid on my scrubbie sponge and wipe out the pans. Had them for years. Why are you using a nylon brush? Sounds like you're scrubbing the coating off.

Posts: 1982 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
And I've discovered that even using plastic or silicone utensils, you still need to be gentle on the non-stick surfaces.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6694 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
To help others, maybe?
My non stick lasts for a LONG time. But these are my personal rules. At least they work well for me.

I wash any new pans and season the pans with oil.

NEVER do I use heat over medium in a non stick pan. I can cook anything without raising the temperature above medium on the burner...gas or electric. High heat can damage the non stick surface, warp a pan and even release fumes. Medium to Low heat causes no problems and even the cheap pans tend to last.

If adding food that is non liquid, I use just a little grapeseed, olive or coconut oil (these are my personal preference oils, but others work too). Pam or those other sprays can have residue that eventually defeats the non stick surface, and it cannot be cleaned well. I only use those sprays on baking pans used in the oven.

Unless I am boiling water, preheating the pan (medium heat or less) is best before adding any food. This creates a steam when you add the room temperature, all the way to frozen items. This steam, from the heated pan surface, and moisture in the food, actually lifts/suspends the food item so sticking is not such an issue. (also this works well on stainless steel)

I also do not leave the stove while cooking, unless things are on low heat and covered. Just too much of a risk to forget to stir or turn items at the right time.

After cooking, I usually allow the pan to cool off on the stove, while we eat. After dinner a quick rinse with some hot soapy water and the surface is clean. Dry with a paper towel, to make sure all the residue is off the inside surface, and it gets put away.

No metal utensils.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9655 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have said, no metal utensils, ever, never, ever.

Do not use high heat. On this new-to-me stove I am forced to use high heat if dinner is to be done this decade. (Have I said how much I dislike this stove?) I can see that it is harming the fry pan and somewhat the sauce pans.

There should be no need for a nylon scrubber. A wash cloth or sponge should clean it. If you are getting a lot of burnt on foods you have to look at your cooking methods.

Posts: 7126 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I think there is a huge range of cookware out there, and a lot of it is, shall we say...not good at all.

Get yourself one really good pan and your troubles will be over. A really good pan is expensive, but will last a lifetime, and will clean up easily. Don't be tempted to substitute brands because they are less expensive. Be prepared to spend 100 - 150 or more per pan. (although I shop a lot at TJMAXX and find great deals there) My go to brands are All Clad (but never with a non stick coating), and Scanpan. If I could only afford one pan total, I would get a good quality one and make do, because they cook better and clean up better. And by better, I mean so much better I am willing to spend the money. (And I am pretty tight fisted with money)

Posts: 7214 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gwenda
posted Hide Post
Because my new-to-me house has an induction cook top I was forced into purchasing stainless cookware (I have a old cast iron grill pan that I use a lot.) I bought good quality (Le Cruesett) from the Outlet Mall Store and have been pleased. Having used nonstick Caphlon for the last zillion years it has been a challenge to learn to cook in these pans and after 12+ months I still burn things slightly at times. BUT if I cook with medium to low heat they cook nicely and anything that sticks to the stainless can be cleaned off using Bar Keeper's Friend and my nylon scrubber so that my pans look like new. I have purchased one Caphlon and one Cuisinart stainless pan from places like Tuesday Morning. They both work o.k. but I don't like the way the handles feel in my hand (This is also true of All Clad.) so my brand of choice is Le Cruesett which is a bit heavier and less likely to burn. (I use mainly nylon and wooden utensils although I have a couple of stainless tongs I use to turn meats.)

So my suggestion is to consider stainless and generally wash with warm or hot water and soap and if you get a stain or burned on spot, break out the Bar Keeper's Friend and a little elbow grease. I expect these to be the last pans I purchase.

Posts: 1171 | Location: DFW Metroplex | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Cooks Illustrated has a comparison of new innovations in cookware. Pertaining to nonstick skillet they prefer T-Fal...costing $20 something. The ceramic nonstick skillet while they might be nonstick in the beginning...they eventually lost their nonstick-ness. And they were talking about true nonstick...without any oil at all.

Posts: 17198 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
To get cooked-on food out of cookware put dishwasher detergent about 1/2" deep in the bottom of the pan, then fill the pan with very hot water, enough to cover all of the ick, and leave it alone for 6-12 hours. Dump that out and rinse well.

Posts: 8614 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post