Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  what do you use to clean the following:
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what do you use to clean the following: Sign In/Join 
Picture of gelato
posted
1. granite counters
2.bathroom ceramic tiles
3. medicine cabinet mirrors.......I used to use windex and then realized it tarnished the bottom of my mirror and it turned"black" what's a good alternative without doing damage?

I just redid our main bathroom and decided to put up tiles up to the ceiling........been looking for some kind of "sponge mop" or something easy to clean them with......anyone have any suggestions?

I would give up ice cream but I'm not a quitter.

Posts: 3602 | Location: Long Island, New York, Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
As far as mirror cleaning? Do not over spray a mirror or allow any liquid mirror cleaner to creep or drip under the edge or around to the silver backing. It can corrode the reflective finish, as you had happen. Safer to spray or wet the cleaner directly on a clean cloth (I like microfiber), but some spray a plain paper towel. Less chance of it dripping or getting behind the mirror glass.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
isn't there some sort of sealer for the countertops? know it has to be redone, but i'd check at the dealer where you buy granite...

as for ceramic tiles I've used scrubbing bubbles with a good cleaning of the grout with a little bleach, as needed IF it's white...

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
You can buy a granite sealer where ever they sell tile any home improvement place. I just wipe my granite counter tops with my wet dish cloth when I wash dishes. But I think that it is time to reseal my counter tops again it has been a year sence I did it last.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3586 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean my ceramic tile with amonia. Cheap and effective! Vinegar would probably do just as well. If my tiles were out of reach, I'd use a sponge mop reserved only for the walls.

Posts: 3495 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
For mirrors and glass I use a product called Sprayway. It's available in our local Kroger chain, and I imagine at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. The framers at Hobby Lobby use it to clean the glass on the pieces they frame. DH and I were so impressed with it when we picked up a poster we had framed that it is now the only glass cleaner I use. No streaks ever.

Posts: 3400 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Use granite cleaner to clean granite. There are inexpensive brands out there as well as the really good stuff like StoneTech which the installers use. It's time to seal granite when drops of water don't bead on the surface. You don't seal it all the time. It all depends on how heavily used the granite surface is--I seal my kitchen island every 6-7 months--the bathroom vanities have not been resealed since installation.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post