Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Public Restrooms Sign In/Join 
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted
I know...Yuck factor here...

First, while on vacation one year in Colorado I got pinkeye. FIFTY YEARS OLD and that was the first time...and last...that I have very had pinkeye. IMHO it came from a public restroom. I touch nothing in public restrooms unless I have paper towel or toilet tissue in my hand!

Now to the subject DH and I talked about tonight. If someone has "hovered" over the toilet seat and "sprinkled when they tinkled," if you wipe it down with toilet paper until it dries...is all the tinkle off? Or is it just dried on the seat?

DH says, Wipe it down and sit.
I say, Nuh-uh. The ONLY time I sit is if I have lined it thoroughly with TP.

Now...please forgive me...but before I "hover," I take some toilet paper and lift the seat. Then I tinkle. More paper to lower the seat. I can't even stand the idea of someone coming behind me and getting a wet seat.

Nice after dinner conversation...I know...

Posts: 17037 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh...I then wash my hands. First I crank down a paper towel. Turn faucets on...soap and wash. Take that first paper towel and turn faucets off and also use it to crank out more paper towel to dry my hands. If the door opens into the restroom, I use a paper towel or toilet paper if there's no paper towel to open the door. I have even pulled tissue out of my purse to do open the door.

Posts: 17037 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
There is bacteria pink eye and viral pink eye. One is from direct bacterial spread from towel, washcloth or surface finger to eye? The other is from dust, smoke, pollen and general dryness of the eye. I would not be positive it was actually from using the bathroom in CO?

Everyone needs to take whatever precautions one feels the need to in order to be comfortable. I try hard to leave any "comfort station" a bit cleaner than it was before I used it (if it is in my power to do so).

I have hiked wilderness, camped and traveled outside the US many times and some conditions are not always pristine. Seldom do I ever get ill or infected with anything. Guess it is all those germs that have built up antibodies?Wink

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I read someplace recently, and I don't remember where, that it is extremely unlikely that anyone will catch anything from sitting on a public toilet. Since I can not remember the scourge, take that for what it is worth.

I don't go to the extent you do but I do try to avoid touching much after I washed my hands.

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, and I have to ask. What lead to that after dinner discussion?

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just have to laugh at all the precautions so many people take ~ Razz

I grew up "going behind bushes" in an uninhabited area, traveled extensively and experienced many other areas of the world's toilets... LOL

In Russia, it was a question of maintaining balance while squatting - in China - it was either Eastern or Western.

Yes, people can be rude, crude and just downright nasty in public bathrooms but I don't even give it a second thought anymore after experiencing how life is lived elsewhere.

Cool

Posts: 6492 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree that travel does broaden one's perspective on many issues.
Even in a city like Paris, we experienced an "off the main" outskirts of the city, more rural, but a quite lovely little cafe. The restroom toilets were basically squatting holes in the floors. They were clean, with sinks and a bouquet of flowers, however. Wink

Posts: 9611 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Sherry,

Your post and thoughts are so enlightening. Yes, it's quite the juggling act to use the public restrooms. Lots of paper towels for protection.

Did you know there is a phone app for places to go? (Not take-out food either) Wink

Like a dog with their favorite bushes, I also have favorite places to go! LOL!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shoot! Wink I've been in the woods behind trees and bushes...in a meadow hoping the grass was tall enough to cover the white expanse of my backside. However...that is still not as bad as many restrooms that I've been in. 1st DH was a truckdriver...I always held the opinion that men were nastier in restrooms than women. After a trip to one disgusting lady's room I had to come out and apologize. Gag me with a spoon...well really no spoon was necessary. GROSS!!!

What brought the conversation on...We have a private restroom in the courthouse for female employees (so do the men)...key and all. The county clerk stopped by my office and said someone had sprinkled on the seat and she sat in it. Yuck. My response was that there was no reason for us to have to hover in the private restroom...but we might have to start!

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now to the subject DH and I talked about tonight. If someone has "hovered" over the toilet seat and "sprinkled when they tinkled," if you wipe it down with toilet paper until it dries...is all the tinkle off? Or is it just dried on the seat?

this is very disgusting that some women do this, esp if you are unaware that it has been done. I also read the survey about public bathrooms being clean esp toilet seats etc. Most of the places I frequent are quite good.

I don't know anything about pink eye but appreciate what Conrad said as I definitely have something the matter with my eyes or rather the skin around them and do not know what to attribute it to! (dry and pink colored)

Posts: 12578 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I do the same when it comes to not touching anything without tissue or paper towel in my hand. I also use "as.s.-gaskets" when they are available. hehe.

I also get paper towel to turn off the faucet if it's not automatic. I love the Dyson hand dryers...they are showing up in more places.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7411 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I also like the Dyson hand dryers, z9lady. Much more cost efficient and quicker to use than either paper or the old style blowers. I have only seen/experienced them at the local Sam's Club however. And nice to have bathrooms that either have open wall/maze entrances or a push type door that does not require any handle use.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
My biggest pet peeve in public restrooms is women who

hover and leave a wet seat for others.

I touch nothing in a public restroom if at all possible. But if it is clean, I have no problem sitting on the seat. I haven't caught anything yet in my 56 years.

Posts: 3267 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Add to pet peeves?
Non-flushers...or those that do not check if their children flushed.

I will also tell those in charge if there is a cleaning issue in the rest room or lack of paper or low paper supply in a certain stall. It has always been met with a courteous thank you, for the information.Wink

posted Hide Post
Oh yes! Not flushing! If toilet paper rolls are not secured...do not put them on the floor.

I know that many studies state that a larger number of people than you would think do not wash their hands after a potty break. A couple of weeks ago I was in a Dillards wherever the heck in Houston we were. (I was sitting in the back seat and was totally lost!) I came out of my stall and headed to the sink...another woman came out of her stall and headed to the door.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
DD once worked a short time at the local Boston Market while in HS. The college guys who worked there proudly announced to each other that they NEVER washed their hands after using the toilet, and that was why the soap dispenser was seldom filled in the men's WC.
She went on to work at McDonalds, and the rules were much stricter. We often do potty stops at McD's when traveling since the restrooms are usually fairly clean.

We never ate at the Boston Market since that time. LOL!

posted Hide Post
I was in some fast food place (can't remember which one but I think Burger King) and a worker used the restroom and did not wash her hands. I asked to speak to the manager...they have a sink by the kitchen door. Any time anyone stepped out of the kitchen for any reason they had to wash their hands coming in. Of course that works depending on how diligent the manager is.

Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
The college guys who worked there proudly announced to each other that they NEVER washed their hands after using the toilet,

My friend worked for many years in a small law firm. the men's room was near enough where the paralegals/sectys sat that they could hear when the water in the sinks was used. Those men never washed their hands! Then they would come out and help themselves to the candy that was in the jars or whatever on the desks there!

Posts: 12578 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Reason enough for only wrapped candy in those containers? Wink

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Sherry,

One of my office jobs had a restroom located outside down the hall open to the public. (No potty at my office). Imagine the surprise finding a homeless man washing (or whatever) in the Ladies room? We wanted the landlord to put a lock and key but couldn't since it was a public building.

My bosses quickly moved me into another location. This office has a private potty that is only for me and myself. LOL~so nice!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beau's Rose,

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9438 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in the county courthouse. You would not believe - maybe you would - what happens on court day, especially "pots and pans" (divorce) or child custody. One day some perturbed dad(s) ripped the toilet paper holders out of the men's restroom and the handicapped restroom.

First thing in the morning, people come in to report to their probation officer or parole officer headed home from work...or headed to work...in work clothes...sometimes muddy/greasy boots and track all over the floor. One guy tracked all the way in with muddy boots...went to the men's restroom and dunked each booted foot in a toilet!!! Tracked red clay mud all over the place!

The trusty who cleans for us has had some horror stories. Unfortunately, I have had to get him to fish yucky stuff out of the public ladies' toilets too... I apologize to him for the decent women who no better than to flush "that" down the toilet.

posted Hide Post
I swear I got a urinary tract infection from the bathroom in college. (Sit down, feel wet, YUK!) Fortunately, they also had a doctor available to students so I was able to be tested and receive medication without too much trouble but that has always stuck in my mind and made me somewhat afraid to use public bathrooms since then.

I used to work in a very small health food store which had a private bathroom in the back for the employees, all two of us, and the male owner. We would allow a customer to use the facilities on occasion but generally, we sent the masses to the Marshalls next door.

One day, I had just finished cleaning the bathroom at the store and a lady customer wanted to know if we had a bathroom. There was something wrong--she needed it quickly or something, I can't quite remember why--so I told her that she could use the one in the back but to please be careful because I had just cleaned it.

I checked after she left and I was so flipping angry to see pee on the seat of the toilet. Ack, I still get irritated when I think of that.

Shortly after my daughter got potty trained, she wanted to go potty in every place we went, restaurants, Target, etc. It was like an adventure, an activity. Oh, that really bothered me because I just don't like to go to the bathroom in public places if I can avoid it and I certainly didn't want my young kids going potty in public places if it could have been avoided.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charcoalsmom - EXACTLY!!! If you hover, how hard is it to raise the seat...the way we instruct our sons to do??!! SAME THING!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
There have been studies on ecoli and other bacteria left in public restrooms and in our homes as well. It is wise to err on the side of safety in these places tho additional studies have resulted in the advice not to frequently use antibacterial soaps.

I practice safety when using a public toilet/washroom routinely and NEVER touch a door with bare hands when exciting. Further tv specials stated how few of us wash correctly and I think we've all noticed the occasional person who did not wash at all after using a public facility. I have also witnessed some disgusting items left in public bathrooms and I am not limiting that observation to merely not flushing.

Tho I don't feel I am a cleanliness fanatic, my other health violation pet peeve are food purveyors who handle cash and then food without the use of gloves or washing. I avoid those places and would not hesitate to report them to the board of health.

BTW, in my 20s while working as a ticket girl in a movie theater nights after art school, I contracted a bad case of pink eye. I attributed it to the handling of money which we can all agree is filthy!

Posts: 18669 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work in a nursing home and we have to use the public bathrooms. Alot of the residents also use them instead of going to their rooms...residents who have little bladder control or poor hygiene. Management refuses to put a code lock box on the bathroom because it "takes away the residents rights" And sorta branching off here...I'm appalled at how many visitors will bring their babies in to visit and let them play on the floors. Do they not realize what could be on those floors?

Posts: 560 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work one day a week at our county jail. A few weeks ago, I was walking by the kitchen when a deputy was walking in, she immediately starting yelling at an inmate who was washing her hair in the kitchen sink. Glad I rarely eat in the dining room. I told the deputy I hated hearing her yell that, she told me she HATED seeing it more.
Big yuck factor for me.
One thing most of the jail is very clean, lots of free labor there.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
This thread was really FUNNY!!! :vD I thought Lowe's has the nicest & cleanest restroom I've ever been in. I don't wipe up other people's pee on the toilet seat. Eeeeewwwww! I'm not touching or cleaning anything & I never, ever 'sit'. My family (mother or aunt) used to yell out in public bathrooms "DON'T SIT" until I was an adult, really! I try to be clean & careful & then get the he11 out! Imagine a men's room & having to use a urinal!?! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2426 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of kids and ladies' rooms, we were on our way back from Destin one year when my daughter was about four. We stopped for breakfast before getting on the Interstate and as always Meg immediately needed the bathroom (why didn't I have a boy). She could read already and while in the restroom, she sounded out "sanitary napkin" on the dispenser and asked me what they were. I said they were for women's hygiene needs. She didn't ask anything more and I let the matter drop. Hours later we stopped at a rest area and I took her into the ladies room which was clean enough but was littered with paper towels. She came out of the restroom and announced to her father that the rr was filthy. "Sanitary napkins all over the place," was her description of it. Lesson: Be sure your kids know what you mean!

Posts: 3408 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Just popping in to say this thread is making me break out in hives, in addition to feeling a tiny bit hysterical - in a bad way. Ha ha.

Posts: 7186 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that some 'popular' businesses many of us frequent have worse than usual bathroom cleanliness...prob due to layoffs!!!

I always 'go' before leaving home and try to get home before the need arises again.

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Regarding wiping the seat, and being clean or just dried ::ahem::....

Many carry a small bottle of that sanitizer for hands in their handbag. After drying the seat, why not take more toilet paper and wipe it down with sanitizer?

Just a thought.

There is a restroom at Buc-ees in Wharton, TX that has the sanitizer in each stall.

Posts: 4467 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Some great info/tip sites on this subject on the Net.

http://voices.yahoo.com/the-re...ia-388796.html?cat=5

http://www.askmen.com/sports/h.../68_mens_health.html

http://drmelissaclouthier.blog...tting-out-clean.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18669 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indexlady - I know where Wharton TX is!

Froo Froo - Thanks for the sites.