Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Maintenance Sign In/Join 
posted
As we talk about what we provide for our guests when they spend the night, I started thinking about what I need as a guest and realize that I require much more these days then I did when I was in my 20's when anyone's floor was adequate.

What about you? Are you a higher maintenance guest now than in your early adulthood? What must you have to get a good night's sleep?

Posts: 2027 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
What must you have to get a good night's sleep?

I need to read in bed before I fall asleep, so a good light and a night table would be nice. I also like a head board on the bed, not just pillows propped up against the wall.

Clean towels and washcloths (I don't need toiletries) also as a technologically challenged person I sometimes need to be instructed in how to turn on the water in the shower v. the tub!

An extra blanket available. I find that people have vastly different needs re: temperatures and what is toasty for one is chilly for another.

Room to put my things. I once stayed at my sister-in-law's house and there not only was no space to put any of my things, on the bureau top or the chairs etc. there also was no room to put the decorative pillows she had on the bed!

Posts: 13004 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I need a comfortable queen sized bed, room to put my things (hang clothes if necessary) and a bit of space. Oh, and access to a clean bathroom. Otherwise, I'm good.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6784 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might have slept on the floor as a young adult. Now I need a bed. I have never expected anything more from a host. A guest should not be a bother.

Posts: 7243 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
What I prefer is a nice hotel. I really don't care for staying in people's homes.

For a good nights sleep a big plus is a bed that isn't too hard, and a couple extra pillows.

Posts: 7262 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
I'm so HM I never stay with anyone now that I'm older. It's just all health issue-related. I don't enjoy going to other peoples' homes even for a short visit during the day. So verrrry physically painful.

Life's too short to spend in that level of pain.

Posts: 4587 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indexlady, I much prefer my own bed, too. I don't really even like staying in hotels anymore. We spend a few weeks each year with my parents, some at our house and some at theirs. I keep the kind of pillows I like, a set of bedding and a fan at their house so that I can be comfortable.

Posts: 2027 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I carry my own pillow if we are going to be gone more than one night. Since I don't generally sleep much the first night away from home anyway, any ol' pillow will work.

When we travel, DH has called people he knows and invited us to their home. I have refused to go on a few trips because of that. Calling and letting someone know that we will be in the area and they offer us a bed is totally different from inviting yourself. He stopped it for awhile and has started back up. I skipped two short trips with him this year because of it. Ay-yi-yi!

Posts: 17310 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I prefer a hotel too. But my parents house is very comfortable for me, the bed is great, they keep the temperature a little bit cool which I love and the bathroom is close and everything is nice and clean. But that's the only place we'll stay.

I once read an article that said if you want to provide a comfortable guest room, stay in yours a night or two to see if you find it comfortable. When we had our bedroom and bathroom renovated we did just that (for 6 weeks) and in that I learned to change a few things around a bit. But, I don't want to run the risk of making it too comfy Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Spanish Revival,

Posts: 1002 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cocok:
What I prefer is a nice hotel. I really don't care for staying in people's homes......

Exactly! Smile

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7555 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm not fond of staying in hotels but do it when necessary. Depends on who the people are whether I want to stay there or not. In some cases, a hotel would definitely be preferred. Others, I enjoy staying with the folks. And they appear to like having us there.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6784 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post