Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Sound proofing a headboard
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sound proofing a headboard Sign In/Join 
posted
I've been trying to figure out a good configuration for my room, but the only thing to come up with is to put my bed under my window. I've put the head of my bead by my window, but because I live on a somewhat busy street, I ended up sleeping very poorly, even with avery loud fan. I've decided I could maybe use a headboard to deaden some of the sound, but I'm wondering if there is any special features I could add to the headbaord to make it particularly sound proof. If at all possible, I need it to be not too high because the window is low and doesn't let in a lot of light.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, most anything you use to deaden the sound is going to block out the light as well. So, it'll be a trade off. What can you live with? An upholstered headboard with lots of "stuffing" might be helpful but I'm not sure.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Not going to help a whole lot, as Farm Girl stated above. If you were going to pad/upholster an insulation board to place into the entire window, this may help a bit. If full sized and friction fitted, it could just be removed during the day, and placed in at night.

A white noise producer (Bed Bath & Beyond now carries them) is probably your best bet for random noise muffling.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
You don't say if you own your home or rent, but if you own you might think about replacing the window. There are windows out there that reduce noise, if you are so inclined.

Posts: 7246 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Ear plugs coupled with a white noise machine may do the trick.

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Padded shutters might buffer some of the street noise as well while allowing natural light in when desired.

Posts: 18727 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
might have a solution! at the home centers they have insulation panels (rigid) and the same size as a sheet of plywood. they also come in several thickness...now they're very light weight...what I'm suggesting is getting a couple and covering with fabric (to match your bedding) you could move them during the day allowing light in...moving back to sleep.

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You and I think alike, sjf.
Check my post above. Wink

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Maybe set the bed up with the headboard toward the street but sleep with your head in the opposite direction.

Posts: 12925 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Let me see if I understand this correctly. You are now sleeping in that room, but the head of the bed is not against the outside wall. At some time in the recent past you tried putting the bed with the head on the outside wall, but noise from outside kept you awake. Is this right?

It sounds to me like you have accidentally coupled the bed to the wall. Try moving the whole bed about 1 inch further into the room. You want the head board completely out of contact with the outside wall. Climb on the bed to measure it because your weight will slightly flex the bedframe, changing the measurement.

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried a search on Google for "sound proofing a heardboard" and found a few results. It doesn't look easy but some but there are definitely some cheap soundproofing solutions on there. Wish you luck to your endeavers.

Home Decor, coming from the soul.
www.decorativesoul.com

Posts: 15 | Location: WA | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I agree with cocok regarding replacing the window. My DD had a similar situation where you heard everything from outside. She replaced windows, and I was stunned by the difference! It was as if someone had turned off the noise!

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post